So I have been "hired" to provide backline and lights for a network of Tribute Bands. What to get?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
The good news is the person running this network said that the bands all unanimously asked for me to be the sound and lights guy. The bad news is I need to backline everything and do lights. Well bad is probably a poor choice of words but I do not have a full backline, nor do I have quite enough lights for a full production like they want.

Don't get me wrong this is just local small potatoes stuff when compared to bands like Ozz and Hairball etc etc but it will still be a production and will still need a proper backline. I have all the PA, guitar amps, and drums that I need.

Wifey is on board (well she is the lead singer in 2 of the Tributes LOL) and gave me the green light but we haven't figured out budget yet. What I need still for backline is a bass rig, some moving head lights and 1 more Chauvet Geyser. these are almost all Metal tributes to bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pantera, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ozzy solo etc etc. so I need some beefy stuff for those that refuse to go direct, which unfortunately other than the Sabbath ones ( I am the guitar player in those) and the Judas Priest band the rest all want to use amps on stage. The agreement though is that those bands will bring their own heads and I provide the cabs which is fine I guess.

I have decided to go used on the bass rig but figure I will need at least 500 watts for the bass head and at least a 4x10 cab. Just not sure on a good generic head and cab that will work for just about anyone?

I also need lighting software that is easy to use, I already have the DMX to USB thingamajig. I welcome any and all suggestions on everything.

Last edited:
2 minutes after I posted this I saw this on the local craigslist for 400 bucks. Not sure it's worth it or if most bass players think badly about Behringer stuff but what do you think?

00808_aw6faeoQRNbz_0nL0CI_1200x900.jpg

500 for this. Hmmmm. I dont know squat about Carvin bass rigs though. Matter of fact I know squat about bass rigs period.

View attachment 1495
I'd say much better choice. If nothing else; it looks semi-impressive. Most of my time has spent around Ampeg bass rigs and those are always :satan

I'd say much better choice. If nothing else; it looks semi-impressive. Most of my time has spent around Ampeg bass rigs and those are always :satan

Same. Ampeg is the most common I have seen. I mean I have til January as far as having the backline goes so it's not a rush but at the same time I don't want to miss a good deal and then be scrambling at the last minute and overpay for something. That red eye rig is 1,000 watts and I can imagine with a 4x10 and an 18 is thunderous when needed.

Same. Ampeg is the most common I have seen. I mean I have til January as far as having the backline goes so it's not a rush but at the same time I don't want to miss a good deal and then be scrambling at the last minute and overpay for something. That red eye rig is 1,000 watts and I can imagine with a 4x10 and an 18 is thunderous when needed.
We played with a tech metal band back in the day that had one. Sounded good and was loud iirc? I looked at one of these heads as a power amp option at one time or another as I have seen them go reasonably cheap-ish from time to time?

Period correct carpet covered cabs for the win!! :LOL:

I played in a trio and the bassist had that exact Carvin rig paired with his Rickenbacker,
and he was plenty loud enough. It could get a bit muddy with the 18. I am not a fan
of 18s, generally speaking, with bass.

How much stage volume are you shooting for versus running direct with the bass, Bob?

So you're planning on purchasing a bunch of stuff yourself, mainly to supply this show? Hmmm
Ok, and the bands will use their own heads, and you need to supply cabs and bass rig. And lighting. Is it in a venue with a stage?

In the next few weeks or whatever, I would keep a running list of anything and everything that pops into your head. Who's running sound while you play? Broken drum heads? Cabling, cabling, cabling. Back-ups. Labor to help you. Check out the venue- available power, and any interference issues. Just off the top of my head. Any thoughts about renting the gear you need, so you can just focus on logistics?

This is not even close to what I do, but I've had to manage all sorts of projects with new-to-me challenges, so I try very hard to think outside the box, and plan for any contingencies, so that would be my main advice. Sounds like a super-fun challenge, with the potential to be great, as long as you cover all your bases.

Sounds really interesting too, so please keep us updated!

So you're planning on purchasing a bunch of stuff yourself, mainly to supply this show? Hmmm
Ok, and the bands will use their own heads, and you need to supply cabs and bass rig. And lighting. Is it in a venue with a stage?

In the next few weeks or whatever, I would keep a running list of anything and everything that pops into your head. Who's running sound while you play? Broken drum heads? Cabling, cabling, cabling. Back-ups. Labor to help you. Check out the venue- available power, and any interference issues. Just off the top of my head. Any thoughts about renting the gear you need, so you can just focus on logistics?

This is not even close to what I do, but I've had to manage all sorts of projects with new-to-me challenges, so I try very hard to think outside the box, and plan for any contingencies, so that would be my main advice. Sounds like a super-fun challenge, with the potential to be great, as long as you cover all your bases.

Sounds really interesting too, so please keep us updated!

Well I am not brand new to doing this, just the way it needs to be done with multiple venues and such. I have 90% of what I need already. Just missing a bass rig and a couple lights. Thanks for the tips!

Back