Hey bass players! Budget bass rig advice needed

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I have been hired to do sound and lights for a Tribute Band Network and 2023 is looking to be pretty busy. One of the things I offer is the ability to backline a 5 piece band EXCEPT I don't have a bass rig. I have pretty much all bases covered on everything else. Don't laugh (times are a bit tough right now) but my bass rig budget is about 500 bucks. 90% or so of the Tribute Bands I will be supplying backline and sound/lights for are Old School Metal Tributes.

So I ask you...

Can I put together a usable bass rig for 500 bucks or less? I really don't want to finance anything. I want to buy a decent bass rig set up straight up used. Should I go for something like a 2x10 combo? Or is say a cheapy 4x10 cab with a 300+ watt head doable? Help me out here. I have an old 600w Peavey PA head that sounds pretty good for bass but it looks nasty and dumb.

Two that come to mind are SWR Workingman and Hartke HA (3500, 5000, etc.) They're older amps but were pretty much backline staples for a long time. The SWR came in both head and several combo versions. The Hartke was mostly heads but I think they did have a 410 combo. You should be able to put something sufficient together for $500 with one of those.

You know what REALLY blew my mind? The Fender Rumble stuff. One of my employees wanted to learn how to play bass, I had a mini-bass kicking around I gave him and picked out a Rumble for him; I think it was an 8" speaker inside of it, maybe 10", but I figured it was going to be fairly quiet so when it showed up at my apartment, I cranked it up with my Spector, hit the low C and almost fell over. And it actually sounds good! The volume and actual bass coming out of that thing blew my mind.

If I needed something quick and cheap, I'd absolutely go in that direction unless something used from Ampeg showed up locally.

You know what REALLY blew my mind? The Fender Rumble stuff. One of my employees wanted to learn how to play bass, I had a mini-bass kicking around I gave him and picked out a Rumble for him; I think it was an 8" speaker inside of it, maybe 10", but I figured it was going to be fairly quiet so when it showed up at my apartment, I cranked it up with my Spector, hit the low C and almost fell over. And it actually sounds good! The volume and actual bass coming out of that thing blew my mind.

If I needed something quick and cheap, I'd absolutely go in that direction unless something used from Ampeg showed up locally.

I have been looking at some of those. Had a bass player in the band not long ago that used one and it sounded great.

I have been looking at some of those. Had a bass player in the band not long ago that used one and it sounded great.
In my old Funk band the bassist bought a new Rumble combo and it kicked ass. Another bassist in another band I played in bought one right when the newer ones came out and it always delivered

Two that come to mind are SWR Workingman and Hartke HA (3500, 5000, etc.) They're older amps but were pretty much backline staples for a long time. The SWR came in both head and several combo versions. The Hartke was mostly heads but I think they did have a 410 combo. You should be able to put something sufficient together for $500 with one of those.

I'd try the others before considering the SWR Workingman's amps. At least based on owning a Workingman's 15 and not being thrilled with it.

It would not provide an ideal tone for, and at 200W would likely struggle to keep up with, old school metal type stuff @Bob Zaod is looking for.

I know lots of people like the Fender Rumbles, but they always sound kind of thuddy and vintage sounding to me. They’d be a ringer to play some vintage country on. A lot of the metal bass sounds have some high end clank in them that need more of a modern sound to get. Gotta suggest looking into a used GK if there is one available to you. Just another option….. but then again GK is my bass solution for everything!

Back