Ever been in a situation like this?

metropolis_4

Shredder
So there’s a guy in town who is one of the top first-call players for all the top tier shows. The best theater gigs available.

And I’m his second call sub…

And his first call sub is a guy who has been subbing for him for like 35 years.

There’s a theater complex in town where all the touring Broadway shows play and I’ve always wanted to play there. He keeps calling me telling me he might need me for a show there, so I get all excited and learn the show… and then he ends up not needing me because the first call sub was able to cover it
raw

It’s almost worse being so close, and yet so far

I assume you let him know you had learned the book?

Seems like you know the dude reasonably well and that he knows you'd love a gig if he's calling you. So maybe also do just a touch of networking with his first call sub so he also knows that you'd really appreciate a shot -- nothing desperate, just letting him know.

I've never been the backup to the backup. :idk

That Theatre level of preparedness is Prepper level shit!

The end is nigh people (but never comes!). Stock up on Beans and Ammo!! :LOL:

I hope you at least get a shot one of these days, Met. I
am assuming you are younger than both of them, so
you at least have age working to your advantage. Sooner
or later. :beer

Ha, I was going to suggest an “accident” too, but the Harding gifs are too perfect… :rofl

Maybe it's “play the long game” situation, @metropolis_4? Keep being available/prepared and eventually something will work out? (How old are these guys, without being too morbid…)

I would find that very annoying to learn all the material for a show and then not get to play it. Do that to me more than once and we will be talking about it. It could take many hours to learn and hone things to the point of being able to perform well. That needs to be recognized and not initiated under false pretenses.

So there’s a guy in town who is one of the top first-call players for all the top tier shows. The best theater gigs available.

There’s a theater complex in town where all the touring Broadway shows play and I’ve always wanted to play there. He keeps calling me telling me he might need me for a show there, so I get all excited and learn the show… and then he ends up not needing me because the first call sub was able to cover it
raw

Missed-It-By-That-Much.jpg

I would find that very annoying to learn all the material for a show and then not get to play it. Do that to me more than once and we will be talking about it. It could take many hours to learn and hone things to the point of being able to perform well. That needs to be recognized and not initiated under false pretenses.
Meh. It’s no different than being an understudy which is super common practice in theatre. No false pretenses. It is what it is.

raw

It would kill me to learn a book and no gig.

It's all experience under the belt. I barely get calls for anything anymore but still can learn 30 songs in a week because I'm used to preparing myself. It sounds like you are well practiced at prepping yourself too - that's a skill in itself.

Back