So...Can the Kemper Profile Mesa Amps? Let's test it.

Pulled this straight from the Kemper Facebook feed, so they seem to get it (I kid, I kid...I love Kemper. And would certainly never judge anyone for having sucht dich)

1704311665591.png

Nobody here is saying the Kemper can't get the job done.

What is trying to be said is the Kemper does not accurately capture amps compared to the competition it now faces.

Does that mean you need to stop playing your Kemper. No. To be honest, probably 99 percent of the people on this forum (me included) have no idea what a cranked Plexi into a Marshall cab sounds like in real life. So if I buy a profile pack for a cranked Plexi into a Marshall cab, who am I to say "this doesn't sound like my amp"? The kemper is fine if you want to buy 3rd party profiles. But if you want to buy a Kemper to profile your own gear, there are currently better options out there.
100% Agree.

I'm a Fractal user at this point, but it was mostly because the FM9 ticked all the right boxes.

FWIW I had a Tonex too, and I think the Tonex did a worse job of capturing than the Kemper did--but I know of at least one person on this forum who disagrees with me :D

I have almost no experience with the QC other than having seen one somewhere so that's where my commentary ends.

FWIW I had a Tonex too, and I think the Tonex did a worse job of capturing than the Kemper did-
The big issue with Tonex and NAM is the lack of a reference I/O level for capturing and playing profiles (as extensively discussed on this same forum), so if you don't account for that, the potential gain in accuracy goes out the window

Have you ever actually listened to a cocked wah? Should I record some bits for you?
Come on, don't be picky... we all know (I hope) that a wah is a narrow bandpass filter, obviously a kemper profile isn't that, but often has that mid hump that resembles a cocked wah mixed with the signal. Pretty sure everyone who mentions it means that

Come on, don't be picky... we all know (I hope) that a wah is a narrow bandpass filter, obviously a kemper profile isn't that, but often has that mid hump that resembles a cocked wah mixed with the signal. Pretty sure everyone who mentions it means that

I know what is meant, same is said about Boss' modeling. Just that I really don't exactly agree. If that mid hump was real, I'm sure there'd be graphs. Are there any?

I know what is meant, same is said about Boss' modeling. Just that I really don't exactly agree. If that mid hump was real, I'm sure there'd be graphs. Are there any?
Next time I'll have a kemper in my hands I'll try to produce them, but it might not be an easy task since it could be a by-product of its non-linearities.
Maybe the only one who could do it well and explain why it happens is @FractalAudio

Anyway, don't you hear a difference in the upper-mids between the first and third sample in the OP?

Last edited:
Anyway, don't you hear a difference in the upper-mids between the first and third sample in the OP?

I do hear some kinds of differences, but nothing that'd justify any blank "cocked wah" statements. And fwiw, that's not against you or anyone else in particular, I just don't think that this is much of a thing.
And no, I have absolutely no horse in any Kemper defending race.

The mid hump referenced is something different from the cocked wah attack.

The mid hump is kinda like a pervasive EL34 sound. It is many times caused by the profiles having compression and other setting turned up in the amp settings.

I will say it was seemingly more present years ago. This is why I asked the question of has Kemper updated their profiling?

Last edited:
The big issue with Tonex and NAM is the lack of a reference I/O level for capturing and playing profiles (as extensively discussed on this same forum), so if you don't account for that, the potential gain in accuracy goes out the window
Yeah, very familiar. I never had a capture come out with the gain sounding like the actual amp.

Sorry ..... but did I miss the reveal of the first post with the 3 clips of the real-amp / un-refined amp / refined amp ?

Ben

Back