So...Can the Kemper Profile Mesa Amps? Let's test it.

They sound good! Does it swap after each pause? If so I can definitely hear a difference but idk which is which. One sounds thinner than the other

Which of these are the real amp and which are the Kemper profile of the real amp?

Has Kemper improved their profiling?

Does refining really matter?

I'd say the third one is the real amp, first is the profile and second the refined profile

Tough to tell. The first one is a little thinner on the low end and brighter in the top end on the crappy speakers I am listening to it on. This could be the real amp since the second and third sound closer to me, OR, refining got the profile to sound just like the real amp and the real amp and refined profile are second and third. I think all are usable tones regardless.

All 3 clips sound pretty different. Last has most bass, first has least. Low end on the 2nd one sits in a different place to the other. I like 3 best here, hard to tell much from soundcloud compression though.

To answer the thread question, based off these clips, they all sound different so the captures aren't accurate. But I think with a combination of refining and adjusting some of the deeper parameters, it may be possible. I never really liked diving into those deeper controls, its quite hard to make changes with any degree of confidence that its getting more accurate.

They all sound extremely different from one another.

1 - palm mutes do not have the same kind of UBER DICK KICK resonance that the other two have.
2 - palm mutes are properly OTT; the low frequency content is really OTT altogether here.
3 - palm mutes are somewhere in between the previous two in terms of how OTT they are; but there is a sort of nasally mid-scoop going on here that the other two don't really have.

I'm either thinking this:

2 - non-refined profile
3 - refined profile
1 - real amp

Or this:

1 - real amp
2 - refined profile
3 - non-refined profile

I will go on record as saying that if number 2 is the real amp, it isn't a tone I would even attempt to profile. The low end is far too extreme for my tastes.

These sound different to my ears. Second one had this low end - low mid thing that I did not like, and the first one and last one did not sound the same, haha

So that would be a NO from me

They all sound extremely different from one another.

1 - palm mutes do not have the same kind of UBER DICK KICK resonance that the other two have.
2 - palm mutes are properly OTT; the low frequency content is really OTT altogether here.
3 - palm mutes are somewhere in between the previous two in terms of how OTT they are; but there is a sort of nasally mid-scoop going on here that the other two don't really have.

I'm either thinking this:

2 - non-refined profile
3 - refined profile
1 - real amp

Or this:

1 - real amp
2 - refined profile
3 - non-refined profile

I will go on record as saying that if number 2 is the real amp, it isn't a tone I would even attempt to profile. The low end is far too extreme for my tastes.

This is actually exactly the conclusion I came to.

Final answer.

(Full disclosure, I‘ve never played though a Kemper no refined a profile with one, but I also didn’t make any claims about them not doing Mesa’s well. I’m here for educational purposes and possibly popcorn)

All sound good. Sounds like different settings on the same amp. Refining is a must if you are trying to match the amp.
Do you have a process for refining? I'm never really sure if it's doing anything. If I'm making a profile I tend to play what I'm going to use the profile for - if it's cleans, I'll do clean arpeggios, leads I'll noodle some scales etc. for 1-2 minutes.

Other than that I don't really have a plan when it comes to the refining stage.

Crappy computer speakers here and even though they sound different, IMO, none were "bad". If I had to guess, 2 is the amp, 3 is the refined , and 1 is the regs

Do you have a process for refining? I'm never really sure if it's doing anything. If I'm making a profile I tend to play what I'm going to use the profile for - if it's cleans, I'll do clean arpeggios, leads I'll noodle some scales etc. for 1-2 minutes.

Other than that I don't really have a plan when it comes to the refining stage.
Michael Britt described his refining process in a video he did. I took some guidance from that. I play some big full chords as well as some single note stuff and I do palm mutes as well. I try to run the amp through the various playing that I typically do. I have heard the profile start out pretty close but after doing the refining, they sound the same. It is also possible to get a really good profile right out of the gate and refining won't really add anything to it. I have still done it just to get the profile as good as it can be. It doesn't take much time.

Michael Britt described his refining process in a video he did. I took some guidance from that. I play some big full chords as well as some single note stuff and I do palm mutes as well. I try to run the amp through the various playing that I typically do. I have heard the profile start out pretty close but after doing the refining, they sound the same. It is also possible to get a really good profile right out of the gate and refining won't really add anything to it. I have still done it just to get the profile as good as it can be. It doesn't take much time.
Cool, I'll have to have a look for that. I typically profile DI, with my amp attached to a real cab so I can't really A/B the refinement part of the process easily, and just hope for the best.

I give up.

I've Profiled so much shit and refined that any one of those could or could not be the Amp/Unrefined Profile/Refined Profile.

I will say that in my experience Profiling my Recto that the Profile always has way more bass in it. So I'm guessing #2 is the final, refined Profile but I really can't say because I've Profiled so much shit and refined that any one of those could or could not be the Amp/Unrefined Profile/Refined Profile.

I also DISPISE the refining process, I absolutely hate having to run the refine because it's completely random. I wish Kemper would just integrate a refining process like Tonex did, standardize on something. I'm trying not to fly of into a total rant about this right now. It makes me fucking crazy!

I go through the same repeat cycle with the Kemper:
  1. I get it and love the Profiles I'm making and love the Profiles I've made. The Profiles don't sound exactly like my amps but they sound really good and I love the software and workflow.
  2. I keep using it and then start to HATE the Profiles because they don't sound like the amps. I keep refining, reamping, doing crazy shit to try to get them to match. I've even reamped the Tonex capture DI. The Profiles are close, they just don't match, period. But I still love the software and workflow.
  3. I get totally pissed and finally I sell the Kemper because I'm so fed up with it.
  4. I start looking at Kemper stuff online and miss having one so I buy another one.
  5. I get it and love the Profiles I'm making and love the Profiles I've made. The Profiles don't sound exactly like my amps but they sound really good and I love the software and workflow.
Rinse and repeat, FIVE TIMES NOW!

So now, I'm just keeping this one... :whistle

Back