So...Can the Kemper Profile Mesa Amps? Let's test it.

Agreed.

But for the fun of discussing... what is the sound of a MB Dual Rectifier anyway? If @Deadpan posted any of those three clips by itself, would any one of us point out how it's not a Dual Rectifier sound? In that sense, isn't the Kemper good 'nuff? It promised a Dual Rect and as far as you know and believe, you got it... unless you're doing the profiling yourself that is.
I think it is instructive that he hasn't yet told us what they are. :grin

I'm actually hearing the opposite, the first one seems to have a bump around 1-1.5 kHz to my ears (and speakers)
Does this mean we can hear what our minds expect?

Not saying you are. I went back and forth trying to match the sound by ear. No match eq. And was definitely finding it difficult and was hearing different based on what played prior.

Happens to all of us.

Agreed.

But for the fun of discussing... what is the sound of a MB Dual Rectifier anyway? If @Deadpan posted any of those three clips by itself, would any one of us point out how it's not a Dual Rectifier sound? In that sense, isn't the Kemper good 'nuff? It promised a Dual Rect and as far as you know and believe, you got it... unless you're doing the profiling yourself that is.
And let's put it this way....

It would be akin to putting a microphone on a real cab and going "I don't need to sanity check or compare different positions, I'll just go with whatever comes out" - which nobody in their right mind would do. At some point throughout your "career" you're going to compare different sounds to be able to decide which ones you prefer.

So in that sense, it really doesn't matter what is real and what is not. What matters is how they contrast against one another, and if they deliver the goods.

Does this mean we can hear what our minds expect?

Not saying you are. I went back and forth trying to match the sound by ear. No match eq. And was definitely finding it difficult and was hearing different based on what played prior.

Happens to all of us.
Sure, perception is always subjective and also influenced by other factors (speakers, room, etc.), but in this case the difference is pretty obvious... and the opposite thing we were hearing was just different things in the end, I was talking about upper mids and @Orvillain about lower mids

It should be obvious now which is the real amp...
Just my 2 cents.

The point of the Kemper is to accurately capture your amps. Not to do blind shootouts. So from a practical standpoint, you would know what your DR sounds like at its settings and then profile it. These clips show that they do not sound similar. Imo which one is the amp and which one isn't doesn't really matter. The Kemper did not accurately capture the amp.

If I'm getting a capture device, I want it to sound as close as possible to my favorite amp settings.

It should be obvious now which is the real amp...
The second one in this last sample is the closest to the third one in the first sample, so I say that's the real amp, while the first one doesn't really match any on the first sample (but it's hard to tell which is which without knowing how your particular amp sound)

Just my 2 cents.

The point of the Kemper is to accurately capture your amps. Not to do blind shootouts. So from a practical standpoint, you would know what your DR sounds like at its settings and then profile it. These clips show that they do not sound similar. Imo which one is the amp and which one isn't doesn't really matter. The Kemper did not accurately capture the amp.

If I'm getting a capture device, I want it to sound as close as possible to my favorite amp settings.
Now imagine a whole cottage industry of profile creators growing up based on and around technology that was never particular accurate, it was just novel at the time. Now imagine how defensive most of them might be when any old boner on the internet can prove to some degree that the products they sell, aren't accurate to the real thing. Now imagine a whole raft of users who are both emotionally and financially invested in not only the piece of gear itself, but also the additional profiles they've purchased for it, and imagine how unresponsive they would be to any analysis whatsoever of this gear and these phenomenon.

I thought earlier about starting a bingo card for this. So what would we have?

"It sounds better than the amp"
"M.Britt knows how to profile"
"I wasn't trying to get them similar anyway"

What else?

Now imagine a whole cottage industry of profile creators growing up based on and around technology that was never particular accurate, it was just novel at the time. Now imagine how defensive most of them might be when any old boner on the internet can prove to some degree that the products they sell, aren't accurate to the real thing. Now imagine a whole raft of users who are both emotionally and financially invested in not only the piece of gear itself, but also the additional profiles they've purchased for it, and imagine how unresponsive they would be to any analysis whatsoever of this gear and these phenomenon.

I thought earlier about starting a bingo card for this. So what would we have?

"It sounds better than the amp"
"M.Britt knows how to profile"
"I wasn't trying to get them similar anyway"

What else?
pew pew sauce GIF

The only takeaway of this thread is that the Kemper apparently can't capture all nuances of whatever amps it might be.
For someone being interested in minute details and/or capturing their own rigs to replace them with the Kemper (for whatever reasons), that might be a crucial aspect.
For my own purposes, if I was interested in such kinda sounds, each of the posted examples would be fine and I'm absolutely sure I could tweak any of them enough to suit my needs.

Huh, so the amp was sample 3 then 2? My Kemper-mids calibration is all off! XD
Probably, actually the waveforms don't look identical for those neither, but they're the closest for sure (maybe he reamped the track again for the second sample?).

EDIT: but even 2 and then 1 could look kinda similar if we correct the panning on the second sample, but my ears still perceive 3 and 2 as the closest

Do I win your kemper if I guessed everything right @Deadpan ? :p

Last edited:
The real amp, last in both clips should be the same clip. I did however change the level a few times trying to match MP's clips.

Let's throw Tonex into the discussion:

No edits just the capture as it came out.

And if I try to make the sound similar:

Of course, you can nitpick differences. That's ok.

pretty noticeably different again, honestly I wouldn't be thrilled if I was trying to capture a tone and that was the closest the unit was giving me. Tbh I usually think the Kemper is closer than that, otherwise I never would have bought one in the first place.

I prefer the first one. Low end sits in a totally different place between the two, low end in the first one is big and loose, 2nd one is leaner and a bit fizzier as a result.

Back