So...Can the Kemper Profile Mesa Amps? Let's test it.

Yeah, very familiar. I never had a capture come out with the gain sounding like the actual amp.
Very much this.

That´s the big no-go for me for NAM or ToneX, with respect to Kemper or QC (or even Tonocracy, which at least has a standarized gain calibration).

Yeah, very familiar. I never had a capture come out with the gain sounding like the actual amp.
Yes I agree with this. But increasing the gain is pretty realistic, and the frequency response is much closer than the Kemper, which is what I think matters most.

2. Added heavy palm mutes to the refining
Right, so this had the effect of making the low-end resonance quite insane. I had a guy once tell me that if you intended to play riffs with a profile, then refine it with lead playing... and vice versa. Don't know how true that is really.

Right, so this had the effect of making the low-end resonance quite insane. I had a guy once tell me that if you intended to play riffs with a profile, then refine it with lead playing... and vice versa. Don't know how true that is really.
Is there any real info on how the refining process actually works? I assume it measures things like input dynamics and tries to fit the model somehow.

Is there any real info on how the refining process actually works? I assume it measures things like input dynamics and tries to fit the model somehow.
No, they've never really elucidated. Other than what is in the manual. We're idiot guitarists remember, we don't need to know.

No, they've never really elucidated. Other than what is in the manual. We're idiot guitarists remember, we don't need to know.

^^ Yep .... as much as I'm loving being back in the Kemper-verse .... its "C.K's " way .....or .... well .... that's it.

I have a sneaking suspicion its a German thing :)

I'll have to give that a try next time I make a profile. I generally refine by playing what the profile is intended for, but I can see how overstating things like palm mutes may make the refinement over compensate the profile.

It would be nice to know how long you should refine for as well. Does it keep refining the entire time it's in refine mode? Does that mean playing for 20-30 minutes would give more accurate results etc? It's quite a dark art still, and pretty much anyone's guess.

I also DISPISE the refining process, I absolutely hate having to run the refine because it's completely random.

I like that it's there to use, if you have a sound you're trying to get for a particular part, like a lead part or a rhythm part, when you dial in the rig for the tone and shoot the capture it's at first kind of in the middle of both tones, rhythm and lead.

if you want the lead tone only and only play the lead register when refining, the end result is a lot closer to what you want. if you want the rhythm tone only and only play rhythm when refining it's a lot closer to the rhythm tone. if you try to play both rhythm and lead when refining it kind of either splits the difference or just uses the last register it heard.

I like that it's there to use, if you have a sound you're trying to get for a particular part, like a lead part or a rhythm part, when you dial in the rig for the tone and shoot the capture it's at first kind of in the middle of both tones, rhythm and lead.

if you want the lead tone only and only play the lead register when refining, the end result is a lot closer to what you want. if you want the rhythm tone only and only play rhythm when refining it's a lot closer to the rhythm tone. if you try to play both rhythm and lead when refining it kind of either splits the difference or just uses the last register it heard.
This is additional steps for a process that shouldn't require this at all, if it was more accurate from the start.

Every time I watch one of this guys videos, I feel like he's gonna lock me up in a convent and rip out my teeth and fingernails until I'm purged of my sins.
Italian Inquisition then?

Italian Art GIF by Kiszkiloszki

The big issue with Tonex and NAM is the lack of a reference I/O level for capturing and playing profiles (as extensively discussed on this same forum), so if you don't account for that, the potential gain in accuracy goes out the window

If you're making your own captures though it's very easy to get it exactly on point with NAM. With tonex I always have to trim up the input gain before saving the capture, but in the end it still nulls almost as well as NAM.

I don't agree that not having a standard reference level negates any accuracy (as compared to kemper, etc). It may not match exactly the *original* reamp if the input level varies by a few dB, but that doesn't necessarily mean the sound you get out is not accurate for the input level you're giving it. Capture processes include the response to varying input levels at a fixed gain position, so adjusting the input trim a little isn't any different from using guitars with different outputs. It's not "the same", but it's also not necessarily inaccurate or inauthentic.

Last edited:
#2 was the best-sounding one to me, and so I had guessed it was the real amp. They all sound very similar though. My understanding was that the Kemper couldn't profile the Mark series amps accurately.

I don’t think the Kemper is accurate by modern standards, but I did do a blind test with my Mark III and most people thought the Kemper sounded closest. I did adjust some deeper parameters by ear because the profile it gave me sounded different with the gain character.

Back