Seismic Audio "Traditional" open-back 2x12 w/ Jensen Blackbirds

gearJunkie

Shredder
Looking for an empty 2 x 12" open-back (or convertible) enclosure. Any recommendations?

:beer

(edit: prefer USA based suppliers)

Last edited:
Looking for an empty 2 x 12" open-back (or convertible) enclosure. Any recommendations?

:beer
Depends on where you live, but in Europe I'd recommend checking out this Palmer 2x12 cab:

These guys are insane. Custom tolex and piping. Whatever you want. Prices are
kind of ridiculous, too, in a good way. Have fun building your new cab. :beer

Last edited:
Depends on where you live, but in Europe I'd recommend checking out this Palmer 2x12 cab:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these are made from MDF?

In EU I'd recommend Tube Town instead.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these are made from MDF?

In EU I'd recommend Tube Town instead.

Wow, thanks! Didn't know these were so affordable! 😍

And yeah, Palmer's are MDF, very probably. They're dirt cheap though, and seem decent enough.

Anyhow, the TT cabs are definitely sexier. And so many options... 👌

Wow, thanks! Didn't know these were so affordable! 😍

And yeah, Palmer's are MDF, very probably. They're dirt cheap though, and seem decent enough.

Anyhow, the TT cabs are definitely sexier. And so many options... 👌
Yeah I've had a couple Tube Town cabs and they were well built. These days my first choice would be to just try to find something on the used market unless I'm after e.g a particular look.

Eminence makes a nice 212 convertible back cab. I have 2 of them and can't say anything bad. All 3/4" plywood and solid construction using rabbet joints.

Ordered and received a Seismic Audio "traditional" 2x12 open back cab to install the Jensen Blackbird speakers I pulled from my Mesa Cali Tweed 1x12 cabs.

luke-2x12tr-orange-wheat_left-corner_800_1160x.jpg

luke-2x12tr-orange-wheat_back_800_1160x.jpg

luke-2x12tr-orange-wheat_no-screen_800_ba239920-70ce-4139-832d-3fd5acd0a300_1160x.jpg

Solid construction except the Tolex covering, although we'll applied, is not very robust.

Included rear mounting screws for pre-installed threaded inserts. Unfortunately they did not line up with more than 2 of the 8 mounting holes available on the Blackbirds. I decided to front mount them reusing the leftover screws from the MB cabs.

Wiring the speakers was as simple as connecting the pre-wired rear jacks using the attached blade connectors.

How does it sound? That will have to wait until tomorrow morning since I try not to play at volume after 9pm out of respect for my neighbors.

I got a bunch of their cables off Amazon for dirt cheap years ago, like 6, 20' cables for $30. Still have 'em working just fine!
Yeah, I have a ton of cables from them as well and never an issue with any of them. Their cables are rock solid, fairly priced, and they're offered in multiple colors.

Purchased these with the cab.
PXL_20240120_144723665.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to testing the cab today with my Fillmore 50 combo. Since the cab is 4 Ohms, I unplugged the combo's 8 Ohm speaker and plugged the Blackbird loaded cab into the 4 Ohm output.

I wasn't expecting too much, just a different "flavor" for occasional use.

Oh how wrong was I!

This thing is pure AWESOMENESS! :chef

Deep, punchy lows, well defined vocal mids, and sparkling highs filled the room. I am so happy I got the Seismic cab instead of storing the Jensen Blackbirds.

I am now waiting on a Weber Z-Matcher so I can covert the cab to 8 or 16 Ohms to pair with my other cabs.
1000001115.jpg

Still loving this cab + speaker combination. It sounds way huge, and it is physically huge for a 2x12" enclosure.

It's a perfect compliment to my Fillmore 50! :chef

Still waiting for the Weber Z-Matcher I ordered last week. Their website states they are built to order one at a time with an anticipated 2 week lead time. Hopefully will receive it by next weekend.

I own 1 Seismic Luke 2x12 and 2 Luke 1x12s. Used the 2x12 forever loaded with WGS British Lead speakers in it and loved every single note. The 1x12s I covered the open back and don't recall what speakers I put in each of those, but I have had no issues with any of those cabs. I would recommend buying a cover for them, though. My tolex is a bit rough these days, but that's because I hauled my cabs around so much.

Back