Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Wow.

Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)​

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/25p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_25p00_beta2.zip

WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-3” amp modeling:
  • Improved preamp algorithms.
  • Improved power amp algorithms.
  • Improved output transformer loss modeling.
  • Improved preamp supply voltage modeling.
  • Nearly all amp models have been “remastered” as a result of new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.

Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.

Added “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
Its Over Basketball GIF by NBA

Wow

parasitics for days! this one is surreal. they got all the modules separated on their own power supplies more now so they break up according to their own time constant personality instead of locked to the master clock. u know the spongy woof sound palm mute intro to 311 beautiful disaster...it do that now, without the high end going bye bye

8jitzn.gif

MORE RUMBLE AND SIZZLE

These are the keywords

1710665867506.png

Lets Get Ready To Rumble Discovery GIF by Shark Week

• Guitar: KDC "Barncaster" Tele, Cavalier Nocaster Holy Grail Lion bridge pickup
  • Amp: Plexi 100W Jumped
  • Cab: 4x12 1960TV Dyna-Cab, Condenser mic
  • Reverb: Medium Room, 20% mix
I recorded a DI track and then reamped it through the Axe-Fx 3 Mk2 with both firmwares. For fw 25.00 I used the "Reset amp blocks" feature in the Axe-Edit preset manager. The gains, EQ etc remain the same.

If I phase reverse one of the tracks there's some audible differences, but just listening to the tracks I'd say fw 25 is a bit smoother and marginally less loud. I bumped the volume of the fw 25.00 track by +1 dB to match the fw 24.05 track peaks.

When actually playing the amp model, I felt that it was smoother. To me the differences between the Plexis seem more stark now.

I'd say you definitely need to re-adjust your Amp blocks when fw 25 releases.

Last edited:

• Guitar: KDC "Barncaster" Tele, Cavalier Nocaster Holy Grail Lion bridge pickup
  • Amp: Plexi 100W Jumped
  • Cab: 4x12 1960TV Dyna-Cab, Dynamic2 + Ribbon mics
  • Reverb: Medium Room, 20% mix
I recorded a DI track and then reamped it through the Axe-Fx 3 Mk2 with both firmwares. For fw 25.00 I used the "Reset amp blocks" feature in the Axe-Edit preset manager. The gains, EQ etc remain the same.

If I phase reverse one of the tracks there's some audible differences, but just listening to the tracks I'd say fw 25 is a bit smoother and marginally less loud. I bumped the volume of the fw 25.00 track by +1 dB to match the fw 24.05 track peaks.

When actually playing the amp model, I felt that it was smoother. To me the differences between the Plexis seem more stark now.

I'd say you definitely need to re-adjust your Amp blocks when fw 25 releases.

It’s not a huge difference on that specific clip just on first quick listen , I think I hear the attack of the pick a bit more and the crunchy bits have a little bit more grit to them
But it still early going I remember Cygnus had like 9 or 10 betas before release and I suspect based on feed back CX3 will get modified as well

Definitely can tell a difference!
Yep that one is pretty drastic
Definitely has more cut and clarity , which is intresting as some are report a darker tone with less clarity on the high gain stuff , that said maybe they did not do a reset like this clip that was posted

Back