Satchel's Rig Rundown, touring an AmpliFire 3

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

Trying to recall the time I started playing music because it was about the yuks. :idk

I get that they have their "thing," and there is a place in the world for SP when it comes
to overtanned and artificially buxomed, middle-aged, bleach blondes contemplating their
next tanning session. Just not for me.

Oh, and can't wait to see them doing this at 70. That's going to be a riot. :LOL:
Not as funny as KISS in their 70s. What a shit show that is.

Is it really them, or is it the increasingly narrowing window on which subjects we are allowed to joke about and what words we are allowed to use?

Its crazy to me to put on punk shows and now the bands I get showing up are ASKING, no DEMANDING with violence, censorship and to stop people from expressing themselves
Pretty much.

Honestly can't really answer that question per forum rules.

Anyways, I watched the full rig rundown last night and it was more enjoyable than I thought. Satchel had a few funny lines in there. The Valerie B thing wasn't nearly as bad as others made it out to be IMO. And yes there were several very cringey lines early, but he seemed to mellow out by the end of the interview actually talking gear for a bit.

The real star though was John Bollinger. He played the straight man wonderfully and had a few good lines himself. And the laughing camera guy helped some of the bad jokes land.
John is top notch as a straight man in a comedy duo format.

I think the thing that cracks me up the most isn’t so much the band, but all the channels/interviews they’re on that don’t edit them out.

I tend to look at the band the same way I did Howard Stern in the 90’s; yeah, it’s shtick and to some it’s offensive, but does anyone really need to step in a pile of sh*t to understand it’s squishy and smells bad? Ya know what you’re going to get with them like everyone did with Stern in the 90’s, if it’s tasteless, offensive or not funny, there are plenty of ways to not hear it.

Comedy has taken a hit over the years and I strongly feel satire and comedy should be untouched unless it’s someone being hateful for the sake of being hateful. As much as the SP guys make derogatory statements and over the top sexual comments, it’s all coming through the character of washed up losers who live in their mother’s basements, they aren’t exactly punching down.
I've also seen them take shots at themselves, so... yeah.

Nu metal.

I dunno man, hair metal had what, a 5 year run? Nu metal started in the early/mid 90’s and bands like Korn, Deftones, Slipknot, Disturbed (if they fall in that umbrella) have had wildly successful careers going on 30 years now. Mudvayne hasn’t even put out new music and they’re headlining sheds. Limp Bizkit has barely put out music and still remains a top draw. All those bands kept selling high numbers of albums and while some might crack jokes about Jnco jeans, I don’t think the nu-metal shame runs nearly as deep as the hair metal shame and admitting “Yeah, I used to perm my hair or use 5 cans of Aqua Net while stealing my mother’s lipstick” does. :rofl

I've also seen them take shots at themselves, so... yeah.

Half their live show is them making fun of each other. They do it in interviews all the time when they’re not around each other, too. It’s definitely part of their shtick. That was one of the things that made Lexi Steel such a great member in the band; he removed a lot of the hyper-sexual stuff because his character was focused around him being an aloof moron.

I dunno man, hair metal had what, a 5 year run? Nu metal started in the early/mid 90’s and bands like Korn, Deftones, Slipknot, Disturbed (if they fall in that umbrella) have had wildly successful careers going on 30 years now. Mudvayne hasn’t even put out new music and they’re headlining sheds. Limp Bizkit has barely put out music and still remains a top draw. All those bands kept selling high numbers of albums and while some might crack jokes about Jnco jeans, I don’t think the nu-metal shame runs nearly as deep as the hair metal shame and admitting “Yeah, I used to perm my hair or use 5 cans of Aqua Net while stealing my mother’s lipstick” does. :rofl
We're trying to act like the "nu metal Ross Robinson sound" hasn't aged like curdled milk? Interesting.

Half their live show is them making fun of each other. They do it in interviews all the time when they’re not around each other, too. It’s definitely part of their shtick. That was one of the things that made Lexi Steel such a great member in the band; he removed a lot of the hyper-sexual stuff because his character was focused around him being an aloof moron.

I used to joke on their videos, "sooo... When are you guys going to admit that Lexi rarely shows up to record and most of it is actually Jean Beauvoir?" There's an obscure one for ya!

We're trying to act like the "nu metal Ross Robinson sound" hasn't aged like curdled milk? Interesting.

Not really trying; Ross is still cited as a pioneer and bands are still working with him to recreate that sound as much as they can. People still LOVE those first two Korn albums and Slipknot’s Iowa is largely debated among Slipknot fans as being their holy grail. If you’re not a fan of that music of course it’s not going to mean sh*t to you, but that production style is still sought after today and spoken about with a lot of respect because of the impact it had.

Personally, I can’t stand it. I couldn’t stand it back then, either, but that doesn’t negate me from seeing the impact it’s had and how people still hold onto it dearly.

Not really trying; Ross is still cited as a pioneer and bands are still working with him to recreate that sound as much as they can. People still LOVE those first two Korn albums and Slipknot’s Iowa is largely debated among Slipknot fans as being their holy grail. If you’re not a fan of that music of course it’s not going to mean sh*t to you, but that production style is still sought after today and spoken about with a lot of respect because of the impact it had.

Personally, I can’t stand it. I couldn’t stand it back then, either, but that doesn’t negate me from seeing the impact it’s had and how people still hold onto it dearly.
That grimy production style isn't my bag either; but when applied to the right artist...it is perfect, imo.

Speaking of Slipknot's holy grail; this song is :chef

Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Korn... those are still relevant bands.

Attack! Attack! ...not so much.

Bands and production aesthetics obviously do come and go... but to me, that nu-metal sound can still be heard in tons of modern metal bands, with some evolution behind it for sure, but it's still there. Spiritbox are one that spring to mind.

As I said above, I used to like Korn and Slipknot as a kid, but find that sound to be awful these days. Djent has had a lot of impact as well, but that doesn't mean it is a positive impact. If you dislike Djent, an argument could be made that Metallica (in general after the first album or two) suck because they spurred on the whole "scoop the mids beyond infinity!!" shit that nu metal and latter Pantera made worse. Djent, as an over correction of that, is possibly as bad or worse because it went from soggy, over saturated mud to artificially tight, honky, clanky nonsense.

I'm not as adamant on either side of that argument, I'm simply pointing out it could be made without much effort.

Metallica suck for whole other reasons than their tone. It's mostly their songwriting, shitty solos, basic bitch drum beats, and assinine lyrics that even my 6 year old laughs at.

Back