Satchel's Rig Rundown, touring an AmpliFire 3

Lysander

Shredder

Screenshot from 2023-04-05 17-12-15.png

God those Atomic hi-gain sounds are still so good.

I said it before Atomic has some great sounds and if they ever came back with a new compact box with the GUI of like a helix / HR some new sounds and FX
I would be in line
I can't believe anyone that's been around here for a while would line up for any Atomic product costing more than $300. That said, I do occasionally consider snagging a used AAx or firebox. For no more than $275.

I can't tell if "it's got 6 channels" is Satchel Schtick or if he actually has no idea that you can have way more than 6 presets

Yeah, noticed that too. My guess is he mostly uses the AA6 and just happens to have a AA3 on that board; presets are interchangeable between the two.

Last edited:
Yeah, noticed that too. My guess is he mostly uses the AA6 and just happens to have a AA3 on that board; presets for both are interchangeable.
Doubt that. I imagine it's the same AA3 he has been running forever, that his tech told him they could set up six directly accessible presets (doable on the AA3 with toggle), they got 'em dialed and haven't touched since. Which is where Atomic gear is at its best.

I bought a used AmpliFIREBOX and sold it on Reverb the same day. It was the fastest turnaround ever.

Also, Satchel's schtick gets old. I get that he's playing a character, but.....ugh.

Did the same exact thing. I got one in a trade and played it for about 20 minutes before selling on Reverb.

First time I played the AA3 I liked it a fair amount, sounded good, made clips. Navigation is awful though and so is the computer editor, straight out of 2008.

The second time though it just didn’t sound good at all.

I’ve seen Steel Panther 3-4x, he might have a lead patch and I want to say I heard some harmony stuff going on but for the majority of the set he’s on one patch.

Did the same exact thing. I got one in a trade and played it for about 20 minutes before selling on Reverb.

First time I played the AA3 I liked it a fair amount, sounded good, made clips. Navigation is awful though and so is the computer editor, straight out of 2008.

The second time though it just didn’t sound good at all.
Yeah I had the AA3 a couple times, and each time I did like the Marshall tones, and Fender stuff. Just hated the Mesa stuff. But the AmpliFIREBOX did nothing for me at all, which is weird.

Yeah I had the AA3 a couple times, and each time I did like the Marshall tones, and Fender stuff. Just hated the Mesa stuff. But the AmpliFIREBOX did nothing for me at all, which is weird.
Thought I liked the AA Recto and 5150 at one point. They did that one update where they remeasured cab impedance(?) or reshot the stock cabs? Can't remember but I did not like those amps after that. Plexi, Hot Brit and Friedmans were good though.

Thought I liked the AA Recto and 5150 at one point. They did that one update where they remeasured cab impedance(?) or reshot the stock cabs? Can't remember but I did not like those amps after that. Plexi, Hot Brit and Friedmans were good though.
Yeah the Marshalley ones were pretty good. I liked the Cornford too. I really do kinda feel bad for their company. They seemed to have a competing product for a little while.

All I can say is that the Atomic modeling could be on par with any other top tier modeling company's offerings. And for some amps, they absolutely already are (the Kornfield is fantastic, the JCM 800 and Plexi Marshalls are pretty darn nice, the Bman is my absolute #1 digital pedal platform ever and the Rumbles are no slouches, either). Too bad the company is managed in the most piss poor way one could imagine (even worse that Tom King seemed to be a good person by nature at least originally, he simply has absolutely no idea about how to run a business).

Anyhow, in case of Satchel I'd guess "never change a running system" applies more than ever. And why would he? In case they have a backup unit, they could run this system for decades to come. SP isn't exactly known for being experimental with the good old guitar sounds...

Back