Randy Rhoads Tone Tutorial??

Guitar Tech.jpg

I love the Randy albums. The tones aren't my favorites anymore but it's something I grew up with. For the time there were a lot of weird sounding albums in the metal genre. Too fast for love is another one. The Distortion + is the key, But not any Distortion + The newer ones are louder and give a different sound. The pre Dunlop ones just sound different to me. The one I have and others ive tried are quiet and dont even come up to unity gain. If you shut it off the clean tome is louder. I have a script logo one and if I use it with my Bassman it sounds like Randy to me. I believe the Marshalls were modified with cascading gain stages too so they broke up a bit sooner than a normal Marshall.

I love the Randy albums. The tones aren't my favorites anymore but it's something I grew up with. For the time there were a lot of weird sounding albums in the metal genre. Too fast for love is another one. The Distortion + is the key, But not any Distortion + The newer ones are louder and give a different sound. The pre Dunlop ones just sound different to me. The one I have and others ive tried are quiet and dont even come up to unity gain. If you shut it off the clean tome is louder. I have a script logo one and if I use it with my Bassman it sounds like Randy to me. I believe the Marshalls were modified with cascading gain stages too so they broke up a bit sooner than a normal Marshall.

Any ideas on his settings on the pedal, the EQ, or the JMPs he used?

Thanks. :beer

Mids 10, everything else 0?

Well, you're pretty close. :rofl

If anyone's to "blame" for his thin tone, it would be Max Norman.

But let's remember the time period this was recorded: early 1980!

Metal guitars mixed with the low end creeping up on the bass guitar's EQ range was not a thing back then.
The general rule of thumb for guitar mixing/eqing back then was midrange; hi-pass was cutting off more low end back then.

Randy's Blizzard tone on the album was one of the very first mainstream metal guitar tones ever.

I remember when it came out on the radio, and everyone's minds were blown at the playing and the tone.

Well, you're pretty close. :rofl

If anyone's to "blame" for his thin tone, it would be Max Norman.

But let's remember the time period this was recorded: early 1980!

Metal guitars mixed with the low end creeping up on the bass guitar's EQ range was not a thing back then.
The general rule of thumb for guitar mixing/eqing back then was midrange; hi-pass was cutting off more low end back then.

Randy's Blizzard tone on the album was one of the very first mainstream metal guitar tones ever.

I remember when it came out on the radio, and everyone's minds were blown at the playing and the tone.
Yeah I get it \m/ I will be a Jake E. Lee guy always. But those RR chops and songs are undeniable, no matter my bs opinion no one asked for on the internet :ROFLMAO:

Back