Mastodon/Gojira last night!

DrewJD82

Staff member
What an outstanding evening!!! I had never been to this venue, the Sun Cove Amphitheater in Boca Raton and it’s awesome! It’s on the edge of a huge lake just outside the Everglades, great breeze coming through the whole night and a near-full moon hovering right above the stage.

We missed Lorna Shore, which was a bummer as I was really anxious to see them, but I gave up trying to organize the 9 other people in our group. It was like herding cats. Mastodon and Gojira are alternating the closing spot and Mastodon was up next. It was still daylight out, they didn’t really get to utilize the production until the end of their set which is a bummer, no lasers! :cautious:

They brought out the heavy stuff for this set-
  1. The Wolf Is Loose
  2. Crystal Skull
  3. Megalodon
  4. Divinations
  5. Andromeda
  6. Sultan's Curse
  7. Fallen Torches
  8. Pushing the Tides
  9. More Than I Could Chew
  10. Aqua Dementia
  11. Steambreather
  12. Iron Tusk
  13. March of the Fire Ants
  14. Mother Puncher
  15. Circle of Cysquatch
  16. Blood and Thunder

We ended up on stage left and I had a bit of trouble seeing Bill, but when I did I started squeaking like a schoolgirl-
IMG_4038.jpeg

A beautiful Gold Top LPC!!!!! I think the first song was the only time he used it, after that it was his LTD sig, the new gold burst one that really, really looks nice. For the drop A stuff he had a white Explorer Custom. Brent was rockin’ his Toes V for most of the night but brought out a Gretsch or some kind of hollowbody later in the set. They were having a blast onstage and that was really cool to see, I’ve never seen Brent so animated and enjoying himself onstage like that. I had to move eventually when I realized Bill wasn‘t coming out the stage left PA at all, so we went for a walk around the venue and this was the first time I realized we had water behind us.

\

It sounded phenomenal along that back walkway, Brent’s rig sounded like it was ready to explode (in the good way) and Bill‘s was tight and beefy. The mix for both bands was perfect, just enough kick/low end to thump your chest without dominating everything else. Thankfully it got dark enough by the end of their set that we could see the lights and video.

IMG_4048.jpeg

Mastodon’s got that thing where they sound like they’re going to fall off the rails at any given second, but Gojira is like a machine. I’d be hard pressed to come up with a band that’s been that tight live that I’ve ever seen. They had a bit more production with some nitrogen cannons, confetti cannons and at one point blew these long strips of silver plastic in the air, big enough that the women we were with put them on like sashes. The vocals man, they were almost too perfect for a live show and I questioned their authenticity a bit at first until I sorted out they’ve just got a bunch of plugins on his vocals, a doubler and what sounded like a lower octave.

Mastodon was more like the fun, party set and Gojira was the dark, metal set. Wasn’t too surprised by Gojira’s setlist, mostly their newer, popular stuff. Glad I finally got to see them, I’ll definitely see them any time they come around in the future. My god they were tight. It was like every palm mute was perfectly centered within every kick drum hit, just crazy.

Hahahahah the older I get the more I look at the younger kids and think “WTF?” :roflThere were a few kids around us that were filming the “mosh pit” the whole time and by “mosh pit” I mean the 15 kids that were prancing in a circle gleefully. But one kid stood out to me because he looked like f*ckin’ Randy Rhoads jumped out of 1982 and appeared in the pit. Look for the kid with the Japanese sun shirt!

One thing I did appreciate was there were some younger kids (teens) that kept asking me which song Mastodon was playing at the time, then jumping on their phones to download them. It looked like it was their first metal show, they had that wide eyed wonder on their faces that was really endearing to see.

Outstanding sets by both bands, incredible venue, it was really a perfect night!

Absolutely awesome man! So stoked for you and glad it was ALL you'd hoped for! They are coming near me soon but I'll probably miss them :wat

What an outstanding evening!!! I had never been to this venue, the Sun Cove Amphitheater in Boca Raton and it’s awesome! It’s on the edge of a huge lake just outside the Everglades, great breeze coming through the whole night and a near-full moon hovering right above the stage.

We missed Lorna Shore, which was a bummer as I was really anxious to see them, but I gave up trying to organize the 9 other people in our group. It was like herding cats. Mastodon and Gojira are alternating the closing spot and Mastodon was up next. It was still daylight out, they didn’t really get to utilize the production until the end of their set which is a bummer, no lasers! :cautious:

1. The Wolf Is Loose
  2. Crystal Skull
  3. Megalodon
  4. Divinations
  5. Andromeda
  6. Sultan's Curse
  7. Fallen Torches
  8. Pushing the Tides
  10. Aqua Dementia
  11. Steambreather
  12. Iron Tusk
  14. Mother Puncher
  15. Circle of Cysquatch
  16. Blood and Thunder

We ended up on stage left and I had a bit of trouble seeing Bill, but when I did I started squeaking like a schoolgirl-
View attachment 7084

A beautiful Gold Top LPC!!!!! I think the first song was the only time he used it, after that it was his LTD sig, the new gold burst one that really, really looks nice. For the drop A stuff he had a white Explorer Custom. Brent was rockin’ his Toes V for most of the night but brought out a Gretsch or some kind of hollowbody later in the set. They were having a blast onstage and that was really cool to see, I’ve never seen Brent so animated and enjoying himself onstage like that. I had to move eventually when I realized Bill wasn‘t coming out the stage left PA at all, so we went for a walk around the venue and this was the first time I realized we had water behind us.

\

It sounded phenomenal along that back walkway, Brent’s rig sounded like it was ready to explode (in the good way) and Bill‘s was tight and beefy. The mix for both bands was perfect, just enough kick/low end to thump your chest without dominating everything else. Thankfully it got dark enough by the end of their set that we could see the lights and video.

View attachment 7085

Mastodon’s got that thing where they sound like they’re going to fall off the rails at any given second, but Gojira is like a machine. I’d be hard pressed to come up with a band that’s been that tight live that I’ve ever seen. They had a bit more production with some nitrogen cannons, confetti cannons and at one point blew these long strips of silver plastic in the air, big enough that the women we were with put them on like sashes. The vocals man, they were almost too perfect for a live show and I questioned their authenticity a bit at first until I sorted out they’ve just got a bunch of plugins on his vocals, a doubler and what sounded like a lower octave.

Mastodon was more like the fun, party set and Gojira was the dark, metal set. Wasn’t too surprised by Gojira’s setlist, mostly their newer, popular stuff. Glad I finally got to see them, I’ll definitely see them any time they come around in the future. My god they were tight. It was like every palm mute was perfectly centered within every kick drum hit, just crazy.

Hahahahah the older I get the more I look at the younger kids and think “WTF?” :roflThere were a few kids around us that were filming the “mosh pit” the whole time and by “mosh pit” I mean the 15 kids that were prancing in a circle gleefully. But one kid stood out to me because he looked like f*ckin’ Randy Rhoads jumped out of 1982 and appeared in the pit. Look for the kid with the Japanese sun shirt!

One thing I did appreciate was there were some younger kids (teens) that kept asking me which song Mastodon was playing at the time, then jumping on their phones to download them. It looked like it was their first metal show, they had that wide eyed wonder on their faces that was really endearing to see.

Outstanding sets by both bands, incredible venue, it was really a perfect night!

That looks like a blast! That venue looks about as goldilocks as you can get where you can have a great crowd but still get up close but not feel like you are in a sea of metal show B.O.

I'd love to catch this tour because both of these bands are basically top tier of the current generation of heavy music \m/

1. The Wolf Is Loose
  2. Crystal Skull
  3. Megalodon
  4. Divinations
  5. Andromeda
  6. Sultan's Curse
  7. Fallen Torches
  8. Pushing the Tides
  10. Aqua Dementia
  11. Steambreather
  12. Iron Tusk
  14. Mother Puncher
  15. Circle of Cysquatch
  16. Blood and Thunder

That's 25% of their set-list off of Leviathan, by my count. :headbang

Mad Lil Dicky GIF by DAVE

Haha! I'll be walking like this. No time to say, "Hi!"

Hahahaha when I was in 7th grade I went to hang at my dad’s for a couple weeks before I moved in with him. We had gone for a walk in the trails and went to a restaurant where he loved the fried haddock, we leave and get some milkshakes before the 4-5 mile walk back to his place. Maybe 5 minutes after we got those shakes he starts walking just like that GIF and says “Andy we gotta move, I gotta sh*t. Oh my god, this is bad”, I just burst out laughing and ask how far away we are from his place, “I dunno, 4 miles? Oh god, I gotta go now, oh god”

Then he stops dead in his tracks, “Oh no. No. Noooooooo. It just came out. All of it” I hit the ground laughing. He was legit about to cry real tears and I was crying from laughing, he asked me for my jacket to wrap around his waste but I was laughing too hard to do anything, just laying on the sidewalk losing it (I’m losing it now thinking of this again) “Andy! Shut the f*ck up! Andy! Give me your f*cking jacket! Come on man! Andy! Get up! This isn’t funny!”

We walked the whole way back home with me laughing my ass off the WHOLE way. He eventually just kept walking when I’d have to stop and hang onto something because I was laughing so hard. My face never hurt that much in my life, it was like an hour of nonstop hysterical laughing. We finally get to his place and both his roommates are in the living room, he tears past them to run to the bathroom just yelling “I SH*T MYSELF!” while I crawled up the stairs still laughing my ass off. When I got to the top of the stairs and my uncle saw me laughing he realized my dad had legit sh*t himself, he doubles over laughing while the other roommate slowly figures it out and then there were 3 hyenas losing it. It’s been known as the Holman Stadium Incident ever since, as it happened right in front of the stadium.

Back