Purging all my gear and getting an Axe FX 3

My feathers aren’t ruffled by any stretch. I’m glad the AxeFx works for you and it is a very nice piece of gear… it’s just interesting that the most expensive modeler is some how a bargain trope is still being slung around.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I use an amp right now, and no modeling, so I have absolutely no dog in this fight, I just wanted to use a gif, stoke the flames, and see where this goes.

This morning I decided that I'm going to purge all my gear and simplify down to just using an Axe FX 3.

I've found that the more options I have, the more time I spend comparing them, and the less time I spend playing. I've also found that gear seems to invite more gear, and a lot of the stuff I bought to "simplify" my setup resulted in making things way more complicated (such as running multiple modelers on a board with other pedals). When I only used modelers, I didn't really have the option to add those extra pieces in, so it was like a GAS buffer.

I thought about what my "dream rig" would be, and it's basically an Axe FX 3 into a quality stereo power amp and a pair of 1x12 cabs with an FC-12 controller and EV-1. I already have the FC-12 controller, so getting the AF3 gets me most of the way there.

So I found a good deal on a used Axe FX 3 and pulled the trigger this morning, and I'll be boxing up and listing my HX Stomp XL, Fractal FM3, Iridium, Simplifier, all the pedals I picked up, even the neat expandable pedal board and power supply I recently got. I'll probably pick up an EV-1 expression pedal once some of the gear funds get back up.

A few other reasons to make the switch...the Axe FX 3 gets more development love and seems a lot more future proof than the FM3. Obviously it's got loads more DSP and while I don't max out my FM3 much, I can do things like run higher quality reverbs and dual amps/cabs. Having multiple outputs will let me run out to my audio interface, powered amp/cab(s), and headphones simultaneously. Thought about the FM9, but in my new space I like keeping the gear up where I can tweak it as I primarily just use the onboard interface. Plus the FC-12 is more rugged with kids and pets running around.

Setup for now will look something like this:

Axe FX III + FC-12
-> MOTU M4 -> Genelec 8020 monitors for stereo "FRFR"
-> Line 6 Catalyst 60 (w/ Celestion V-Type) for powered cab
-> Sennheiser HD6xx for headphone monitoring

Probably not the true definition of minimalism, but a hell of a lot simpler than my current situation...
The two pieces of advice I will give on settling with the Axe III as the ultimate one-stop-shop that is convenient:

(1) always keep a separate audio interface, which you seem to be doing.

(2) if you want to use the knobs a decent amount, think through how you mount it. Sitting directly on a desk, or lifted only a few mm off the desk leaves the knobs too close to the top surface of the desk to be conveniently used. Something as simple as slipping a piece of 3/4" board under the III or otherwise propping up the front edge of it is enough to cure that issue. This is some serious shithouse level of complaining, but when rigs are so close to perfection for desk use as .ost flagship modelers are these days, this level of nuance is real in terms of satisfaction.

No reason to have multiple modeling platforms.

I scaled down to just the Catalyst and the Simplifier!

Less gear - more playing!

Yeah you are really good at figuring out the less is more thing. Me not so much! I tried to run the Simplifier into the Cat yesterday and I didn't like it at all. But I think you're much more of a clean combo guy and I'm more of a clean + high gain guy.

So I make a joke with "sorry for your loss "and that's "dumping". Ok the joke was a miss but dumping? Now that's funny.

Funny how the forums change names but stay the same.

I didn't take any offense, although I think you were joking about someone else.

I've made too many dumb decisions to take offense about these things!

The two pieces of advice I will give on settling with the Axe III as the ultimate one-stop-shop that is convenient:

(1) always keep a separate audio interface, which you seem to be doing.

(2) if you want to use the knobs a decent amount, think through how you mount it. Sitting directly on a desk, or lifted only a few mm off the desk leaves the knobs too close to the top surface of the desk to be conveniently used. Something as simple as slipping a piece of 3/4" board under the III or otherwise propping up the front edge of it is enough to cure that issue. This is some serious shithouse level of complaining, but when rigs are so close to perfection for desk use as .ost flagship modelers are these days, this level of nuance is real in terms of satisfaction.

Absolutely. I had the Axe 3 a couple years ago (hindsight and all), and did try and use that as an interface but disliked the lack of control. I've essentially upgraded everything else at this point.

I was thinking about the front panel controls today coincidentally, because my FM3 is on an angled stand. My side table is probably good for height and clearance to not need to angle it, but that will be in my back pocket.

Are you Watt from the old forums? If so, that advice you gave a few years back where I should get a real speaker cab was sticking in my head all week. Granted the Cat 60 isn't the perfect ideal amp and cab, but right now it's simplifying things A LOT. Like no more IR's, no more wondering where to tweak the highs/lows, it's just working easier right now.

Dear Mods: Each member should each get our own private sub-forum. Then we never have to worry about getting our feelings hurt or being stalked or accidentally stalking someone else or interacting with one another.

Or... how about the less labour intensive path of "Don't feel compelled to be a dick?" ;)

Yeah you are really good at figuring out the less is more thing. Me not so much! I tried to run the Simplifier into the Cat yesterday and I didn't like it at all. But I think you're much more of a clean combo guy and I'm more of a clean + high gain guy.

I didn't take any offense, although I think you were joking about someone else.

I've made too many dumb decisions to take offense about these things!

Absolutely. I had the Axe 3 a couple years ago (hindsight and all), and did try and use that as an interface but disliked the lack of control. I've essentially upgraded everything else at this point.

I was thinking about the front panel controls today coincidentally, because my FM3 is on an angled stand. My side table is probably good for height and clearance to not need to angle it, but that will be in my back pocket.

Are you Watt from the old forums? If so, that advice you gave a few years back where I should get a real speaker cab was sticking in my head all week. Granted the Cat 60 isn't the perfect ideal amp and cab, but right now it's simplifying things A LOT. Like no more IR's, no more wondering where to tweak the highs/lows, it's just working easier right now.
Yup, Watt. I tried out a Catalyst at GC for five minutes this summer so five-minutes-probably-user-error aside, did not like any of the drive sounds...all just sounded like dirt pedals into a good solid state guitar amp. But yeah, I bet it serves great as a powered guitar cab. Maybe a little speaker swapping in that as a last GAS dalliance?

Hmmmmm. So for me..... I'm a bit schizophrenic with gear.....

Sometimes I wanna get suuuuuper tweaky.... and really pay attention to the difference between tiny small values across a bunch of effects in a huge chain. So like last night, I was dialing in an oscillation delay tone on the Axe III, and I spent about 2 hours just doing that.

Other times, I'm more interested in playing, and my note selection, so I string together a few Boss pedals each with 4 knobs and no detailed editing.

I personally think it is worth having both approaches in your toolbox.

I really love my Axe III. But I also love my valve amps and Boss DM2-waza.

Fuck it. You only live once. Get all the gear.

Truly I'm just happy when anyone (especially me) finds something that works for them. It's easy to drive yourself nuts comparing gear and "choosing" the winner. At this point I'm keeping my DSM as my backup/direct option and mostly using an amp of some sorts. The Catalyst is a recent addition and so far I'm really pleased with how it performs on a gig, low volume and silent home practice and how it records. It's a limited offering but fits what I want right now...

I posted this over on TGP recently.

It is my first recording experiment using the Catalyst into my cell phone with Bandlab. To me it's amazing that the Catalyst and a cell phone is all I need to be able to record a guitar track and publish it to the world!

BTW - listened to a few of your tracks over on TGP. You absolutely nailed "Europa"...the keyboardist I'm playing with loves it so I need to learn it properly!
Thank you Dave, very kind words
just used my Yamaha Revstar and my Helix
i wanted to do that song as i always found it such a beautiful melody
it did require some work on my Helix, which included 4 separate snapshots for the different parts

Thank you Dave, very kind words
just used my Yamaha Revstar and my Helix
i wanted to do that song as i always found it such a beautiful melody
it did require some work on my Helix, which included 4 separate snapshots for the different parts

It payed off, one of the best covers of the tune I've ever heard. Playing, tones, emotion we are all spot on!

Congrats! New gear direction and choices are fun! Even if it’s just to use something different for a while.

Using good amps or using good modelers = is all good to me. I really don’t get the bickering. It’s not like you said you were getting rid of everything and going to a Zoom G1X or something (no offense to Zoomers…LOL).

Yup, Watt. I tried out a Catalyst at GC for five minutes this summer so five-minutes-probably-user-error aside, did not like any of the drive sounds...all just sounded like dirt pedals into a good solid state guitar amp. But yeah, I bet it serves great as a powered guitar cab. Maybe a little speaker swapping in that as a last GAS dalliance?

Yeah that was yesterdays adventure! I got a used V Type and put it in. It helped the buzzy nasty mids and filled out the low end.

Back