Potential Mesa Reissues? IIC+ and Dual Rec

The prices on modern Mesas is RIDICULOUS. The used prices are much more reasonable though still somewhat inflated right now.

I don’t disagree….

However, look at how much a mk II combo with reverb, geq, 100 watts, and an EVM cost in 1978 :idk

9B0C1118-A9E7-4732-BF5C-7C9F5ABB93FE.jpeg

20BABE9A-9894-46A1-9136-8E7FE8E2730E.jpeg

what transformers are they going to use tho??

View attachment 31192
I know people whack off over those transformers and everything, but I had incredible tones from a Studio Preamp into the return of a Fender Champ 25SE (somewhat budget tube amp from the 90s) back in my broke college days. More complements with that rig than anything else I’ve ever used.

I’m not saying transformers don’t matter, but the preamp is doing a lot of heavy lifting. There’s also lore about weird capacitance behavior with the IIC+ preamp circuit board that’s supposedly part of the magic.

Honestly I’m kind of hoping they nail it without reproducing any of that “mojo” stuff just to shut down what’s potentially a bunch of internet jibberish anyway.

Well, respectfully I disagree. I realize I’m far from unbiased, but when you look at something like a Mark VII and compare it to a BE100 DLX, both using PCB, I’d say they’re right in line. SLO100 too.

I think those companies are in the stratosphere too, but yeah… I think Mesa was kind of a bargain for a long time

But again check out the inflation adjusted comp of a fully featured mark II in 1978 above…

Well, respectfully I disagree. I realize I’m far from unbiased, but when you look at something like a Mark VII and compare it to a BE100 DLX, both using PCB, I’d say they’re right in line. SLO100 too.
I should rephrase.

Mesa’s prices FEEL insane when I remember buying my Dual Rectifier new in 1996 for $1500.

In reality it all tracks pretty closely with inflation.

Mesa’s PCB’s are part of the reason PCB’s get a bad name, even still. That’s actually one benefit of Mesa’s more simple amps, a few less things to go wrong. Friedman and Soldano are built nicer than Mesa. Modern PCB’s and better layouts. and they don’t use tantalum caps or underspec’d components. and the PCB’s and schematics are actually labelled and don’t have random parts jammed over other ones.

Mesa’s PCB’s are part of the reason PCB’s get a bad name, even still. That’s actually one benefit of Mesa’s more simple amps, a few less things to go wrong. Friedman and Soldano are built nicer than Mesa. Modern PCB’s and better layouts. and they don’t use tantalum caps or underspec’d components. and the PCB’s and schematics are actually labelled and don’t have random parts jammed over other ones.
I think we’ve been through this before. You’re going to have a hard time convincing me Friedmans are built nicer, when I’ve seen WAY more in for repair over the last ten years than Mesa. But, that’s not really worth going into.

freidmans aren't military spec?? I thought a distributor built them factory style and dude still hand tests each one with tone boy all day. what goes wrong in a nu-marsha
I don't know. All I can tell you is what I see in for repair, which is anything from BE100's to Dirty Shirleys to TONS of the Runt-based shit. Yeah, it's all anecdotal. But for 10 years, you'd think I'd see way more Mesas in for repair, if they're not great. But it is what it is.

I don't know. All I can tell you is what I see in for repair, which is anything from BE100's to Dirty Shirleys to TONS of the Runt-based shit. Yeah, it's all anecdotal. But for 10 years, you'd think I'd see way more Mesas in for repair, if they're not great. But it is what it is.
Not anecdotal if you have a paper trail to back it up....I'll take your word for it. 😉

Not anecdotal if you have a paper trail to back it up....I'll take your word for it. 😉
Yeah, you're gonna have to :rofl . None of this discussion is important enough to scan shit. Or don't take my word for it. My feelings won't be hurt, and people can feel about stuff the way they want to. No biggie.

I've just been hearing about how bad Mesas are for a long time, and just.....shrug.

Yeah, you're gonna have to :rofl . None of this discussion is important enough to scan shit. Or don't take my word for it. My feelings won't be hurt, and people can feel about stuff the way they want to. No biggie.

I've just been hearing about how bad Mesas are for a long time, and just.....shrug.
I was being supportive....as I kind of know the lay of the land....so to speak.

I trust you....for the most part...🤣

I’m sure the Mesa breakdown stuff is just as anecdotal (or grumpy amp repair techs 😂 ) - never had an issue with any of my Mesas.
Well, in the grand scheme of things, it would be a monumental task to really tally up repairs for all brands in general, to really get a good idea. All this to say I think Mesa's pricing has gone up, but I personally feel it's still fair-ish.

Back