Picks, what you using?

I'm wearing the tips off these things and they get dull and rounded pretty quick.

Is this what you guys are using? Is this normal or does anyone have some suggestions on some that hold up better? I dont mind doing a power buy and stocking up, but I dont want a 100 picks laying around I'll never use if there is something better out there. TIA, any suggestions appreciated!!
It could simply be because you're now contacting that pick to a string many more times, playing leads... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the grand scheme of things, picks are about the cheapest part of this hobby, as I see it, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I use Petrucci Jazz III's, and just look around for the best price when I'm ready to re-up. And I'm fine with paying a little more for his brand, as he's given me so much musical enjoyment over the past 30 years.

As for 100's of picks laying around..., when it starts to get rounded, I throw it away and get a new one, without a 2nd thought.

If that’s the case, then cut your steak with a spoon and eat it with a knife. :wat
Or instead of this reaction you might think that there might be something to it.

At the very least it’s food for thought.

Sure I got my preferences when it comes pick shapes but I can comfortably use anything from .72 to 3mm

Or instead of this reaction you might think that there might be something to it.

At the very least it’s food for thought.

Sure I got my preferences when it comes pick shapes but I can comfortably use anything from .72 to 3mm
Same. But for the fast, technical stuff, a specific shape and thickness, for me, definitely yields better results.

Same. But for the fast, technical stuff, a specific shape and thickness, for me, definitely yields better results.
It did for me too until I accepted that the reason was less the pick than how I approached it. As in every pick should be doing what I expect instead of me adjusting my hands.

Just leaving this here…

View attachment 8055

I’ve been thinking about this one. There is some impact on technique introduced by the pick.

For example if I change from using a pick that is 0.75” tall and 2mm thick to a pick that is 2” tall and 0.5mm thick I am going to have to shift my technique to a degree. My picking hand will have to be a little further away from the strings, I’ll have to adjust my attack for the thinner pick, and I’ll have to adapt to more flex in the material.

But I agree that thinking that a particular pick is going to magically unlock the door to better technique is not a path worth traveling.

Seriously. Who has ever thought a pick had magic in it that was not part of Tenacious D?

Tenacious D Reaction GIF

And who the fuck is Rodney Jones anyways?

Dunlop Flow 1.35mm for me. I hate that they only come in black, easiest color to lose. But the size, shape and thickness is perfect for me.

I have gotten some fancy boutique picks from e.g guitar shows and whatnot and never felt they were any better than just standard Dunlop Gator stuff.

Dragon's heart picks. The best among the rest that I have ever tried.

The+best+guitar+pick+period

It has 3 usable sides that fits whatever way you want them for.

Jazz III Max Grip Carbon. Exclusively since some years.
Used to use different picks on different guitars or sometimes even for different styles but kinda found out that it'd be the best idea for me if a pick would feel like an extension of my fingers, which would only be possible in case it'd always be the same.
Always liked the Jazz III size, also like the Max Grip surface and the carbon thingy seems to serve well for long pick life, so there.

I usually have both a Jazz III of some sort along with a 351 medium celluloid. Then switch between the two depending on the song.

Or sometimes if I’m trying to do a whole gig with just one pick I’ll use extra heavy 351 celluloids.

I also sometimes bring along either thin nylon and/or those D’Addario 2.0mm Casein picks if the music calls for it.

Right now my go-to Jazz III is either the Howling Monkey or a standard Dunlop (black) and my go-to medium celluloid is Dunlop or D’Andrea
i'll try this too

Stopped chasing the pick dragon. Been using the .60mm Duralin and .60mm Tortex interchangeably, with some Tortex .73 and .88 thrown in, depending on what I'm playing.

I need a point and it mustn’t bend. I can use other things but I always go back and wonder what I was thinking. Tone is hugely affected by the pick so that’s another factor. I’m using black Ice at the moment, jazz III shape but slightly bigger and a darker tone.

Still holding strong with Flow 2.0 mm as my go to. Occasionally I'll bust out an all brass TECKPICK or Jazz III.
Prior to that were varieties of Tortex 1-2 mm, for many, many years.

Back