Picks, what you using?

Byrdman

Roadie
I decided about a year ago to learn lead vs being acoustic cowboy chord guy. First thing I started working on is increasing speed and technique and I saw a few YT guys suggesting thicker, pointier picks vs the thin strumming I have been using, so I started using Dunlop Jazz 3's. Things are going well so far, I think. I'm definitely seeing some gains in better technique, speed, and accuracy, but I'm going through these things a lot faster than strumming picks. I'm wearing the tips off these things and they get dull and rounded pretty quick.

Is this what you guys are using? Is this normal or does anyone have some suggestions on some that hold up better? I dont mind doing a power buy and stocking up, but I dont want a 100 picks laying around I'll never use if there is something better out there. TIA, any suggestions appreciated!!

713+RjGig8S._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

I'm a various flavor of Jazz III player and fight the tips wearing out. Keep a little emory board around to sharpen them or get progressively thicker ones (Dunlop has tons or V-Picks, perhaps) until you find one that lasts for you and how you play.

Dunlop tortex Jazz IIIs 1.14mm only for life :love
These last me a solid 2 days :grin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I love 'em, otherwise. Got a thicker black Dunlop this week, that doesn't say wtf it is, other than "Dunlop J III". Actually dug through the local store and grabbed 10 different flavors, the "unknown" Dunlop, the V-Picks green "Small Light", the Dunlop Tortex and the two different big stubbies are in a battle to the death, atm. They all have a different attack, different thickness, etc. Grab a bunch and try 'em.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the emory board and sharpen @Warmart . I'll work through what I have and go looking for something a little bigger than the Jazz III. I like it, but other than getting dull quickly as I'm getting better at picking faster, it feels smaller and sometimes slips out of position in my fingers.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the emory board and sharpen @Warmart . I'll work through what I have and go looking for something a little bigger than the Jazz III. I like it, but other than getting dull quickly as I'm getting better at picking faster, it feels smaller and sometimes slips out of position in my fingers.
Very welcome sir! They do have larger Jazz III's - the "XL's" that you may like. I also fight them slipping, sometimes you are gripping too hard - so be aware of that, it's very counterintuitive lol.

Dunlop Flow 2.0 for a while now. They have the best grip I've ever felt and last forever. Tonally neutral probably favoring the bright side.

Back