Picks, what you using?

I definitely have a pick acquisition problem. Fortunately, they're mostly cheap (never bought a Blue Chip or anything over like $12).

I keep all of them, and most of them are organized in a little container thing that I think is made for either fishing tackle or craft supplies. But, I might have 400, mostly in 6 packs.

I keep coming back to the celluloid 351s from Vintage Inspired Pickups and Dunlop Jazz IIIs. The VIP picks are probably just custom printed D'andrea 351s like everybody else's and probably around .8mm. But, I can pick them from Fender and D'addario 351s in the same thickness range blind. The Jazz 3s were among the first picks I tried when I first started playing.

I think the VIPs sound better most of the time, but the J3s feel a lot more precise. So...I keep both on my board in cases that came with earplugs.

But, I might have 400, mostly in 6 packs.
Well since you have so many, (and welcome, btw!), what did you think when Fender stopped embossing theirs?
I hated it, and it's what sent me on a pick search, ending up using Jazz III's exclusively.

I need a little grip!

Well since you have so many, (and welcome, btw!), what did you think when Fender stopped embossing theirs?
I hated it, and it's what sent me on a pick search, ending up using Jazz III's exclusively.

I need a little grip!

Thanks. I didn't see an intro thread.

Someone mentioned this place on the fractal forum (I thought people were mis-spelling the other place for a while), so I decided to check it out. A couple threads made me join (same username). Seems like a fun idea.

Anyway...did they? I don't know if I have any Fenders that aren't embossed. But, the others I have that seem like re-branded d'andrea 351s aren't embossed...and I don't actually care about that particular thing. They don't move around in my hand unless I squeeze too hard (which was really counter-intuitive to figure out). So, I stop noticing the difference right away.

So far, with all the suggestions here, I have settled on Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III's for now, lol...

They seem to last longer and easier for me to hold than the reg Jazz III's since they are bigger

image.jpg

I mostly use a tortex sharp .
This one is not so sharp lol.
Trying to get comfortable with the Gravity pick so I’m putting that in the rotation.

I definitely have a pick acquisition problem. Fortunately, they're mostly cheap (never bought a Blue Chip or anything over like $12).

I keep all of them, and most of them are organized in a little container thing that I think is made for either fishing tackle or craft supplies. But, I might have 400, mostly in 6 packs.

I keep coming back to the celluloid 351s from Vintage Inspired Pickups and Dunlop Jazz IIIs. The VIP picks are probably just custom printed D'andrea 351s like everybody else's and probably around .8mm. But, I can pick them from Fender and D'addario 351s in the same thickness range blind. The Jazz 3s were among the first picks I tried when I first started playing.

I think the VIPs sound better most of the time, but the J3s feel a lot more precise. So...I keep both on my board in cases that came with earplugs.
I don't think the price matters, if you think it's worth it then go for it.

I decided about a year ago to learn lead vs being acoustic cowboy chord guy. First thing I started working on is increasing speed and technique and I saw a few YT guys suggesting thicker, pointier picks vs the thin strumming I have been using, so I started using Dunlop Jazz 3's. Things are going well so far, I think. I'm definitely seeing some gains in better technique, speed, and accuracy, but I'm going through these things a lot faster than strumming picks. I'm wearing the tips off these things and they get dull and rounded pretty quick.

Is this what you guys are using? Is this normal or does anyone have some suggestions on some that hold up better? I dont mind doing a power buy and stocking up, but I dont want a 100 picks laying around I'll never use if there is something better out there. TIA, any suggestions appreciated!!
Yep, for most things I use Dunlop Jazz III 1.38 mm. Haven't found anything as good. For funk I use Fender 351 and 346 heavies though 'cause it's easier to hang onto the pick for fast strumming and skanking with those.

IMG_0872.jpg

I’m still loving the Dunlop M3 Tortex Jazz III

I think this is the longest I’ve ever stuck with one pick. They are as close as I’ve come to my ideal “do-it-all” pick

23473505023main_orig.jpg

Back