Picks, what you using?

Most picks can be easily sharpened on a carpet by just dragging them across it quickly. Been doing that with mine since someone showed me that trick in the 90s.
You know folks from Avid? 🤣 all those guys that late where are line 6 used to do that after Landau told them in the 80s. And subsequently they needed up using the side of the pick.

How can you use anything that thin? If it bends I can’t use it and the tone is bad when ever I try anything thin.
Although you didn’t ask me I have a take on it…

Up until about 4 years ago I played nothing thinner than 1.4 mm. Since then I learned that I can hold a .73 so it’s stiff enough.

More importantly I also learned that unless I have to project on acoustic a rest stroke will sort it. With that came the Realisation that I used to grip the pick way harder than needed to be. End result I could alternate pick stuff that I used to have to seeep ala Steve Morse.

Anecdote time…
In 84 i was in the tune up room at VH’s last show with the original line up.
EVH used the .6 orange Tortex back then.
The other take away from that day was that his left hand thumb (moving on the back of the neck for position shifts) was as agile as the other fingers.
Even though I’ve been aware of it for 39 years, and when I pay attention it gets better mine still looks like amateur hour.

Although you didn’t ask me I have a take on it…

Up until about 4 years ago I played nothing thinner than 1.4 mm. Since then I learned that I can hold a .73 so it’s stiff enough.

More importantly I also learned that unless I have to project on acoustic a rest stroke will sort it. With that came the Realisation that I used to grip the pick way harder than needed to be. End result I could alternate pick stuff that I used to have to seeep ala Steve Morse.

Anecdote time…
In 84 i was in the tune up room at VH’s last show with the original line up.
EVH used the .6 orange Tortex back then.
The other take away from that day was that his left hand thumb (moving on the back of the neck for position shifts) was as agile as the other fingers.
Even though I’ve been aware of it for 39 years, and when I pay attention it gets better mine still looks like amateur hour.
I have tried that already because Ed uses thin picks and even the three finger hold but I play best with a light touch hold and only the tip of a pointed jazz pick in contact with the strings.

I use either the shoulder of a plain old Fender Medium, or the 1.14 mm Dunlop tortex Jazz III--and tend to prefer the latter after they've been used enough the point rounds a little. But I'm not going for much in the way of speed. I've also used the Flow picks and they are pretty good too.

I've been using the Jumbo Jazz picks from InTuneGP for years and years and years. I've ventured out a couple times to try different options--some boutique-ish like V Picks, Dragonheart, and Gravity and some "catalog" stuff like Ernie Ball's Everlast--but I keep coming back to InTuneGP.

I backed these guys on a Kickstarter a few years back and really like this design.

Before I discovered the Rombo, I was a big fan of the Dava Grip Tips and still use them occasionally.

I usually have both a Jazz III of some sort along with a 351 medium celluloid. Then switch between the two depending on the song.

Or sometimes if I’m trying to do a whole gig with just one pick I’ll use extra heavy 351 celluloids.

I also sometimes bring along either thin nylon and/or those D’Addario 2.0mm Casein picks if the music calls for it.

Right now my go-to Jazz III is either the Howling Monkey or a standard Dunlop (black) and my go-to medium celluloid is Dunlop or D’Andrea

Just leaving this here…

IMG_4024.jpeg

Back