Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

Yeah, a few times. Writing them again this morning. We’ll see. Didn’t expect anyone here to have an answer really. Just seeing if it was something anyone had dealt with. Thanks!

I see. It might take a few days before they respond.

What mode are you starting it up in? Have you tried different modes to see if those work?

You may want to wipe the internal memory, reformat, and replace all the files from the update (or original FW if you have copies), including the license file I sent you - just to see if you have any luck.

I see. It might take a few days before they respond.

What mode are you starting it up in? Have you tried different modes to see if those work?

You may want to wipe the internal memory, reformat, and replace all the files from the update (or original FW if you have copies), including the license file I sent you - just to see if you have any luck.
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I thought I’d done that already. I’ve deleted everything off the drive (except the license) as it appeared in Finder (MacBook) and then emptied my trash bin. Is there more I have to do to format it?

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I thought I’d done that already. I’ve deleted everything off the drive (except the license) as it appeared in Finder (MacBook) and then emptied my trash bin. Is there more I have to do to format it?
Before I realized I needed to empty the trash bin to completely erase the data, I used the Mac Disk Utility to wipe it completely clean (after copying all the original files to my Mac first), and then copied all of the files back. I don't remember my process exactly because I was a little flustered about the situation, but everything seemed to work out after that.

Is it possible the license file includes a code corresponding with (and unique to) the hardware unit? That would explain the continuing problems.

I’m surprised Wilson hasn’t written you back already - he’s usually really fast. Is it too late to exchange your MIDI Captain for a new one?

Is it possible the license file includes a code corresponding with (and unique to) the hardware unit? That would explain the continuing problems.

I’m surprised Wilson hasn’t written you back already - he’s usually really fast. Is it too late to exchange your MIDI Captain for a new one?
I know. I’m pretty surprised too. I got it off Facebook Market, so no. But I did think about that license file being unique. Not sure…

Starting it up in regular mode. I can get to the USB mode, but when I switch it in and off, it gets stuck at the load screen.

Starting it up in regular mode. I can get to the USB mode, but when I switch it in and off, it gets stuck at the load screen.
At this point it sounds like you're going to have to work directly with Wilson. I'd send him a follow up email and pester him in Facebook/ YouTube comments a bit. His customer service is excellent once you track him down. Maybe he's been off on vacation or something.

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but this thread appears to be the busiest one on the internet for the MIDI Captain.

I am using this foot controller with Mainstage 3 for my worship guitar rig. I am able to send MIDI to Mainstage fine. I can change patches, enable/disable buttons, etc. No complaints whatsoever on the footswitch communicating with Mainstage.

My issue is Mainstage communicating with the MIDI Captain. I can't figure out how to get the MIDI Captain to reflect changes in Mainstage. For example, if I change the tempo from Mainstage, I would want the tap tempo button on the physical device to reflect that. Or if I switch to a different patch and a screen control effect is enabled, I would want the light switch for the corresponding physical button to turn on.

Is this even a possibility? I have attempted setting up a MIDI Output Channel with the MIDI Captain and set program changes on that strip for the corresponding patch, but no luck getting the device to read.

I'm relatively new to MIDI controllers, so is the MIDI Captain just not capable of receiving MIDI messages from Mainstage or DAWs in general? Or is there something I'm missing? Thank you!

Hello all. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but this thread appears to be the busiest one on the internet for the MIDI Captain.

I am using this foot controller with Mainstage 3 for my worship guitar rig. I am able to send MIDI to Mainstage fine. I can change patches, enable/disable buttons, etc. No complaints whatsoever on the footswitch communicating with Mainstage.

My issue is Mainstage communicating with the MIDI Captain. I can't figure out how to get the MIDI Captain to reflect changes in Mainstage. For example, if I change the tempo from Mainstage, I would want the tap tempo button on the physical device to reflect that. Or if I switch to a different patch and a screen control effect is enabled, I would want the light switch for the corresponding physical button to turn on.

Is this even a possibility? I have attempted setting up a MIDI Output Channel with the MIDI Captain and set program changes on that strip for the corresponding patch, but no luck getting the device to read.

I'm relatively new to MIDI controllers, so is the MIDI Captain just not capable of receiving MIDI messages from Mainstage or DAWs in general? Or is there something I'm missing? Thank you!
Paging midi master @mbenigni

Can you talk me out of the standard version with no wifi ?
I just got one - my thinking is
1. make it dead simple to minimize any hickups at live show,
2. Better battery life
3. Wifi is nice, but I do not really need it at home or stage - home my FM3 is on the desk and midi on the floor 4ft away, on stage the midi is just in front of my FM3

Bidirectional communication with state awareness etc. is a pretty big ask. Generally, it requires programming specific to the device you’re trying to control. MIDI Captain isn’t going to offer this out of the box. (Nor, in fairness, will any other generic MIDI foot controller I can think of.)

Couldn’t hurt to post on the Facebook page, or email Paint Audio support, though.

Can you talk me out of the standard version with no wifi ?
I just got one - my thinking is
1. make it dead simple to minimize any hickups at live show,
2. Better battery life
3. Wifi is nice, but I do not really need it at home or stage - home my FM3 is on the desk and midi on the floor 4ft away, on stage the midi is just in front of my FM3
If you’re sure you don’t need wireless, then I absolutely cannot talk you out of the version without wireless. :D Except to say that I love wireless lol.

P.S. Closer to accurate to call this Bluetooth rather than WiFi, although technically it’s neither.

Bidirectional communication with state awareness etc. is a pretty big ask. Generally, it requires programming specific to the device you’re trying to control. MIDI Captain isn’t going to offer this out of the box. (Nor, in fairness, will any other generic MIDI foot controller I can think of.)

Couldn’t hurt to post on the Facebook page, or email Paint Audio support, though.
Great, thanks. Wasn't sure how realistic it was, and I can understand how there would be limitations with a universally-designed device.

Hi, @Alex Kenivel , I am looking for help for my Midi Captain.. I just deleted the license by accident while trying to update it with latest firmware, and I just saw your post that you have a copy of license for it.. Can I use it to fix my midi captain while the support is not yet responding.. thanks

my Email is
rinelky@gmail.com

Hi.

I’m setting up a new pedalboard (coming from Helix LT) with tonex, hx stomp, exp pedal and a midi switcher (probably MIDI captain) and I don’t know anything about MIDI :)

Can I control the tonex and hx stomp simultaneously with the switcher?
I’d like to set it up so the 3 bottom left switches change tonex (clean-od-crunch), 4th button for solo (crunch from tonex + boost and delay from hx), 5th button for tap tempo. Top row would be for individual fx from stomp. Tuner switch on HX stomp.

Thanks in advance

Back