Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

Hi.

I’m setting up a new pedalboard (coming from Helix LT) with tonex, hx stomp, exp pedal and a midi switcher (probably MIDI captain) and I don’t know anything about MIDI :)

Can I control the tonex and hx stomp simultaneously with the switcher?
I’d like to set it up so the 3 bottom left switches change tonex (clean-od-crunch), 4th button for solo (crunch from tonex + boost and delay from hx), 5th button for tap tempo. Top row would be for individual fx from stomp. Tuner switch on HX stomp.

Thanks in advance
Sounds doable with the MIDI Captain. MIDI capable devices can be set to different MIDI Channels so you can single out which device is getting which message when they are all plugged into each other.

I haven't bought one yet but it looks like the perfect MIDI controller for modelers, it has zero competition in that price and feature range.

Got it working after reformatting the internal memory. Took some time to set up my own preset, mostly open CCs, reprogrammed the up and down switches to tuner and tap tempo. The switches are the bees knees. Can press them at any angle and they latch just fine, another area where the Commander was lacking. The hex color coding for the switches are a little off but a small gripe.

View attachment 7134

Something I find a little wierd is that once I boot it up I get dim colors around the footswitches:
View attachment 7135
But after I toggle the switches on and off the dim colors go away:
View attachment 7136

Gonna dive into geek mode next
Hey Alex,

Im glad I stumbled on this thread. I bricked mine too, then got all disorganized, had beers, tried again, accidentally deleted the license folder, and now Im up shits creek without a paddle. Ive contacted Paint Audio support and they are non responsive. I ran into the same problem with memory and kept trying. I can get it booted only into USB mode.

How did you do the reformat? Also, Im exclusively on a mac, but I can work around the disk utility to try and reformat it. Just wondering what you reformatted the disk as. It seems like its a Linux Rasberry Pi, just wondering what you did to reformat.

Hopefully I can get it working without the license file, or hopefully they provide me with a new file. I dont know, but I'm feeling dumb.

Hey Alex,

Im glad I stumbled on this thread. I bricked mine too, then got all disorganized, had beers, tried again, accidentally deleted the license folder, and now Im up shits creek without a paddle. Ive contacted Paint Audio support and they are non responsive. I ran into the same problem with memory and kept trying. I can get it booted only into USB mode.

How did you do the reformat? Also, Im exclusively on a mac, but I can work around the disk utility to try and reformat it. Just wondering what you reformatted the disk as. It seems like its a Linux Rasberry Pi, just wondering what you did to reformat.

Hopefully I can get it working without the license file, or hopefully they provide me with a new file. I dont know, but I'm feeling dumb.
I don't think reformatting is actually necessary (plus I don't remember what I reformatted the drive as). Just empty the trash on your computer so the files are permanently deleted from the device (they still take up space in the Cap'n until you do so) and transfer over the newer update files along with a copy of my license folder (shared on the previous page of this thread)
I'm hoping this link will work for the foreseeable future. Not sure if I'm violating any terms of use by doing this but here is a link to a copy of my license folder

I hope radio silence from PA isn't the new norm. Hoping for some more updates with bug fixes

I also downloaded your license folder out of sheer paranoia :crazy

I hope radio silence from PA isn't the new norm. Hoping for some more updates with bug fixes
I'm hoping too.

Aren't they the same folks that gave us the midi commander? That is now abandonware.

I swear someday I'm going to figure out how write to the chips in these things. I know nothing about the hardware or software but I figure if I could write database code I could learn this.

I don't think reformatting is actually necessary (plus I don't remember what I reformatted the drive as). Just empty the trash on your computer so the files are permanently deleted from the device (they still take up space in the Cap'n until you do so) and transfer over the newer update files along with a copy of my license folder (shared on the previous page of this thread)

I’ve been waiting for over a week for them to answer me, so seems to be he norm.

Unfortunate to hear about Paint Audio customer service going downhill. I think their products are pretty great across the board, and for a while earlier this year, customer support was exceptional as well. ("Wilson" would send detailed replies to my emails within 24 hours.) I wonder if they just got overwhelmed?

And yeah, no relation between MIDI Captain and MIDI Commander. MIDI Commander was a complete POS IMO.

Fellow midi captain owners, I’m programming it for tonight’s gig and can’t 100% understand it, maybe help here is faster than Paint Audio support :)
Im using it with HX stomp and Tonex.

I want the midi captain pedal light to stay on while the effect/amp is in use…at the moment only the last button i pushed stays illuminated. This might be confusing while playing live so would like to find a solution.

Maybe it’s something super obvious but my midi knowledge is close to zero and there”s not much info about this product online.

Thanks in advance

Fellow midi captain owners, I’m programming it for tonight’s gig and can’t 100% understand it, maybe help here is faster than Paint Audio support :)
Im using it with HX stomp and Tonex.

I want the midi captain pedal light to stay on while the effect/amp is in use…at the moment only the last button i pushed stays illuminated. This might be confusing while playing live so would like to find a solution.

Maybe it’s something super obvious but my midi knowledge is close to zero and there”s not much info about this product online.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you are using it in Geek Mode? I think this is normal behavior for Geek Mode, but I think the normal mode does what you want

Sounds like you are using it in Geek Mode? I think this is normal behavior for Geek Mode, but I think the normal mode does what you want
Yeah, I’m using geek mode. I’ll try it in normal mode tomorrow.
Got through 2 gigs with it, first one was a bit confusing (button lit up yet effect not active). Tonight went better, almost no mis-switching.

Yeah, I’m using geek mode. I’ll try it in normal mode tomorrow.
In one of my email conversations with Wilson at PA a few months back he mentioned adding more LED functionality to Geek Mode so at leat that gives me some hope that this isn't abandonware at this point.
mis-switching
This is another area that needs improving. Just about every time I go to my Page 1 in Geek Mode my 4th footswitch needs a second press to register - to the point where I double tap it automatically to combat the issue.

I have the pedal in front of me and it seems I can´t program the switches in normal mode as I did in geek mode (can´t find a way to send info on 2 midi channels at the same time and how to change CC values). Should this be done on a computer rather than on the device? Also..have you used exp pedal in geek mode? I understand it uses midi CC7 for exp1 and CC11 for exp 2 but how do I choose which midi channel it uses to transmit the info? other buttons can be selected and programmed but I can´t figure out how to do it with exp pedal.
On my mac the geek mode setup files are .dat while normal mode files are .txt so I can´t open them.

I have the pedal in front of me and it seems I can´t program the switches in normal mode as I did in geek mode
I've been strictly using Geek Mode for the past like 6 months now so it's been awhile since I poked around in Normy Mode. Looks like text editing is the only option here AFAICT.

can´t find a way to send info on 2 midi channels at the same time

Browsing through the manual again it seems like you can't send multiple messages per switch Press in Normy Mode, but you could create a workaround by assigning the second channel/command to the switch Release. This is pretty limited compared to Geek Mode but I guess that's the appeal of GM?

how to change CC values
You're able to select a static CC value every message press, or toggle between that value and 0 if enabling CC Toggle. I'd personally like to see the ability to select a low and high value to toggle between like the Disaster Area controllers have. This goes for Normy Mode and GM, only in Normy Mode it seems you have to use a text editor.

have you used exp pedal in geek mode?

I have not, sorry.

On my mac the geek mode setup files are .dat while normal mode files are .txt so I can´t open them.

hmm...I'm able to open txt files with Apple's own TextEdit application on my 2012 Mac Mini

Well, I somehow managed to brick the device :D I was using USB mode to poke around it but didn´t edit anything...Today I powered it up and was welcomed by black screen. Went to usb mode and almost all the files were gone. Formatted the drive and loaded new fw + license folder but it doesn´t boot up past opening picture :) I would prefer to not return it (bought via amazon) but this coupled with no answer for my e-mails seems to force my hand. That´s a shame.

That's lame @782369, have you tried holding down any of the footswitches while booting up to see if other modes initiate?
Yes, I tried both normal and geek mode but it doesn’t go past the matrix screen (on geek mode). Later today I’ll try to format the disk again on a PC, maybe it’s to do with me using a mac.

Hey all.

Yet another former midi commander/current midi captain user here.

I’ve run into a major roadblock using the midi captain with my Akai force. In the process of troubleshooting I ran the signal through the din ports on the captain to see what happens. To my horror the midi captain seems to be mangling the midi data passing through it. Lag, followed by extreme lag that sounds like a delay.

My A>B comparison is:

A: Force > behringer 1820 > Oberheim Matrix 1000 ((perfect response))

B: Force > behringer 1820 > midi captain > Oberheim Matrix 1000 ((unusable mess))

It’s hard to find info on the midi captain. Anyone else experience this? If this device mauls the midi that passes through it, It’s a deal breaker.

Anyone else ever use this pedal for midi through? Anyone care to help confirm?

I have 2 of these and they both mess up the midi throughput.

Anyone else have one of these who wants to help?

I’m debating this or the MC8 to pair with the Axe. I don’t know that I’m going to pay the ransom for the FC12 as much as I’d like to keep it in the family.

I’d like to be able to map the 8 scene changes on presets primarily, but the two extra foot switches on the midi captain might be sweet for paging up or down presets.

Back