Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

I’m debating this or the MC8 to pair with the Axe. I don’t know that I’m going to pay the ransom for the FC12 as much as I’d like to keep it in the family.

I’d like to be able to map the 8 scene changes on presets primarily, but the two extra foot switches on the midi captain might be sweet for paging up or down presets.
You should look on the fractal forum for a used fc12. It's honestly just the way to go

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Anyone else ever use this pedal for midi through? Anyone care to help confirm?

I have 2 of these and they both mess up the midi throughput.

Anyone else have one of these who wants to help?
Sorry, I haven't used the midi thru on mine at all.

You should look on the fractal forum for a used fc12. It's honestly just the way to go

Haven’t checked the FAS forum but even the Reverb listings for the FC12 are kinda steep for something as non-sexy as a foot controller :ROFLMAO:

I noticed the MC8 has some built in config for the Axe so it shares preset/scene names natively, and looks like you can configure in about 5 minutes. The only thing I’m not sure of is if you can map a double tap to page up or down the Axe preset list. (Which is where having the extra two footswitches on the midi captain is nice, but a text editor vs the MC8 on-device graphic interface makes that a wash, though I’d guess this is a config once a year sort of thing, if that, for my needs)

Haven’t checked the FAS forum but even the Reverb listings for the FC12 are kinda steep for something as non-sexy as a foot controller :ROFLMAO:

I noticed the MC8 has some built in config for the Axe so it shares preset/scene names natively, and looks like you can configure in about 5 minutes. The only thing I’m not sure of is if you can map a double tap to page up or down the Axe preset list. (Which is where having the extra two footswitches on the midi captain is nice, but a text editor vs the MC8 on-device graphic interface makes that a wash, though I’d guess this is a config once a year sort of thing, if that, for my needs)
If you are lucky you can find them for $400 or so!

8c8dq4.jpg

It would be supercool feature to have low light option for LEDs when switch is not pressed.
Also an midi feedback from DAW to midi IN to color up the LEDs would be awesome)

I hadn't received any email from Wilson for 2 days since i wrote him...
and i see that there are no firmware updates from may 2023....
It might be an option to go for Graviton M2 from https://luminitefx.com/
Cuz that guy go into forums here and is really interested in cooperation as i hope....

Wilson, may be you can make it opensource to make things going up - may b you can send us the tools to upgrade firmware so we can proceed?))

In december I exchanged emails with him, talk about update but nothing yet, it seems:

The exp channel change in geek mode is on updating.

The led action in geek mode is also on updating. We will try to bring this out soon.

I just got the MIDI Captain a few days ago and really really really want to like it. It has so much functionality and programmability.

BUT, I'm having serious issues with the expression pedal's smoothness. It's very clunky sounding, skipping values if I rock it quickly. I've tried different pedals, different TRS cables, different computers, different instruments, but I'm getting the same result. Anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong? Please help! I want to like this lil guy, I really do!

Here's a quick video I took to demonstrate:

Idn how to help you.. mine is still unshipped, but it looks terrible... Seems like it send signal with low discreet.. can you capture midi data via bome midi or midi OX to see, what is I sending?

Idn how to help you.. mine is still unshipped, but it looks terrible... Seems like it send signal with low discreet.. can you capture midi data via bome midi or midi OX to see, what is I sending?
I'm not familiar with bome or OX. I used MidiView to capture the MIDI data from the MIDI Captain, though. This is a slow 1 second rock fwd back backward of the exp pedal (the next to last column is the CC value):
0​
01:08:43.372​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 5​
1​
5​
B0 0A 05​
1​
01:08:43.449​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 23​
1​
23​
B0 0A 17​
2​
01:08:43.527​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 35​
1​
35​
B0 0A 23​
3​
01:08:43.603​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 45​
1​
45​
B0 0A 2D​
4​
01:08:43.706​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 57​
1​
57​
B0 0A 39​
5​
01:08:43.796​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 86​
1​
86​
B0 0A 56​
6​
01:08:43.876​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 112​
1​
112​
B0 0A 70​
7​
01:08:43.954​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 127​
1​
127​
B0 0A 7F​
8​
01:08:44.911​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 122​
1​
122​
B0 0A 7A​
9​
01:08:44.998​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 93​
1​
93​
B0 0A 5D​
10​
01:08:45.114​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 71​
1​
71​
B0 0A 47​
11​
01:08:45.201​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 33​
1​
33​
B0 0A 21​
12​
01:08:45.289​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 1​
1​
1​
B0 0A 01​
13​
01:08:45.367​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 0​
1​
0​
B0 0A 00​

This is a faster rock of the pedal. VERY minimal CC value information being transmitted:
0​
01:11:06.660​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 17​
1​
17​
B0 0A 11​
1​
01:11:06.770​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 76​
1​
76​
B0 0A 4C​
2​
01:11:06.855​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 127​
1​
127​
B0 0A 7F​
3​
01:11:07.186​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 117​
1​
117​
B0 0A 75​
4​
01:11:07.277​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 69​
1​
69​
B0 0A 45​
5​
01:11:07.399​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 9​
1​
9​
B0 0A 09​
6​
01:11:07.479​
out​
Controller Pan position (coarse): 0​
1​
0​
B0 0A 00​

For context and comparison, here's automation done in Ableton. First with a knob on my keyboard (MIDI-assigned). Note the amount of points on the curve vs the points on the curve when I did the same type of automation using the MIDI Captain. Also worth noting, when I tried the same thing using Geek mode on the MIDI Captain, it does do slightly better than normal mode (but still nowhere usable).

Attachments

• with-keyboard-knob.png
    with-keyboard-knob.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 18
  • with-MIDI-captain.png
    with-MIDI-captain.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 9
  • with-MIDI-captain-GEEK-mode.png
    with-MIDI-captain-GEEK-mode.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 18
I just got the MIDI Captain a few days ago and really really really want to like it. It has so much functionality and programmability.

BUT, I'm having serious issues with the expression pedal's smoothness. It's very clunky sounding, skipping values if I rock it quickly. I've tried different pedals, different TRS cables, different computers, different instruments, but I'm getting the same result. Anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong? Please help! I want to like this lil guy, I really do!

Here's a quick video I took to demonstrate:

Mine feels a little "steppy" with a wah. I'll have to go back and try some pitch effects.

Back