Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

mbenigni

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I just stumbled on this "new" Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a re-skin of the (terrible) MelAudio MIDI Commander, but it has enough new features (additional programmability, low-latency BlueTooth MIDI) to make me think this is a genuinely new product. If so, the bzillion dollar question is: are the switches silent, or do they sound/ feel like s***? I watched the embedded video, and it really looks like they're silent... so I went ahead and ordered it. (Kohl's return counter here I come?)

I'm guessing no one else here has tried one of these yet, and I'm going to be the guinea pig? Naturally the unicorn fart gold and blue editions are in stock, but the Batman very very dark gray edition ships in 2 months. :hmm

Man, I thought this sub-forum was where the proper nerds hung out. Nobody wants to talk about a 10-switch controller with silent switches, Bluetooth, and battery power for $180??

5666628_1.jpg

Looks interesting to a MIDI controller nerd like me. With so many MIDI controller options around in different form factors, it's a jungle out there.

I prefer my switches to go "clunk" like a proper Carling - know I won't be replacing them anytime soon.

What are you going to use it with?

Man, I thought this sub-forum was where the proper nerds hung out. Nobody wants to talk about a 10-switch controller with silent switches, Bluetooth, and battery power for $180??

5666628_1.jpg
*raises hand*

This is literally the first I've heard of it.

I've got the MIDI Commander on my board right now. It's hindered by not being able to send specific value commands.

9v barrel jack power!
MIDI in!
value commands!

Very cool upgrade. Need to sell off this MC.

*raises hand*

This is literally the first I've heard of it.

I've got the MIDI Commander on my board right now. It's hindered by not being able to send specific value commands.

9v barrel jack power!
MIDI in!
value commands!

Very cool upgrade. Need to sell off this MC.
The MIDI Commander was a great value in terms of $ per switches, but I hated everything else about it. This looks much more promising.

I should have mine by Friday, if you want to wait to hear about any downsides.

Looks interesting to a MIDI controller nerd like me. With so many MIDI controller options around in different form factors, it's a jungle out there.

I prefer my switches to go "clunk" like a proper Carling - know I won't be replacing them anytime soon.

What are you going to use it with?
We’re on opposite ends re: switch preferences then. :)

I’ll be using it with Quad Cortex and HX Stomp.

I just stumbled on this "new" Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a re-skin of the (terrible) MelAudio MIDI Commander, but it has enough new features (additional programmability, low-latency BlueTooth MIDI) to make me think this is a genuinely new product. If so, the bzillion dollar question is: are the switches silent, or do they sound/ feel like s***? I watched the embedded video, and it really looks like they're silent... so I went ahead and ordered it. (Kohl's return counter here I come?)

I'm guessing no one else here has tried one of these yet, and I'm going to be the guinea pig? Naturally the unicorn fart gold and blue editions are in stock, but the Batman very very dark gray edition ships in 2 months. :hmm

Looked at one of these a month or so back.

This is the manufacturer website specs => https://paintaudio.com/products/paint-audio-midi-caption

This is the link to the very detailed and specific manual => https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0656/8312/8548/files/MIDI_CAPTAIN_EN_2.01.pdf?v=1678896242

From memory - silent switch's and you can program any button to do anything you want ... looks brilliant for the $$.

Looks like there isn't much it cant do.

The only thing I would double-check - if needed - is whether or not it can send Midi PC + Midi CC + CC Value all at the same time from one FSW with one Press (?)

Ben

The MIDI Commander was a great value in terms of $ per switches, but I hated everything else about it. This looks much more promising.

I should have mine by Friday, if you want to wait to hear about any downsides.
Awesome can't wait to hear about it. I'll be waiting for quite a while personally. Money tied up in my pedal board build

This is the manufacturer website specs => https://paintaudio.com/products/paint-audio-midi-caption

This is the link to the very detailed and specific manual => https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0656/8312/8548/files/MIDI_CAPTAIN_EN_2.01.pdf?v=1678896242

From memory - silent switch's and you can program any button to do anything you want ... looks brilliant for the $$.

The only thing I would double-check - if needed - is whether or not it can send Midi PC + Midi CC + CC Value all at the same time from one FSW with one Press (?)

Ben
All good news. And no, I don't foresee needing to send PC+CC at one time. As long as it can do either or - preferably on all 10 switches* - I'm happy.

*The function of the bank up/down buttons was fixed on the MelAudio MIDI Commander, making them pretty much dead weight for my purposes.

All good news. And no, I don't foresee needing to send PC+CC at one time. As long as it can do either or - preferably on all 10 switches* - I'm happy.

*The function of the bank up/down buttons was fixed on the MelAudio MIDI Commander, making them pretty much dead weight for my purposes.

From Section 16 on Page 25 of the Manual - " 10 Fully Customizable FSW's " :)

Ben

Ben
I only understand about 70% of what I'm seeing in this manual, but it looks very promising. Setup is very old school in ways that are both good and bad. Meaning: not pretty, but probably very fast and flexible once you get accustomed. Its internal storage just comes up in File Explorer, and you edit a bunch of text files. Well-suited to an old DOS/Windows geezer like myself. (@JiveTurkey, RUN AWAY!)

I have no idea what "Time Engine" is supposed to mean. Does this thing have a built in looper?? Or did the guy just go ballistic describing a preset with dedicated buttons for Record and Play? Weird.

I can't wait to format all the Black Sabbath album covers for use as wallpaper on the tiny display. :D

• Haha
Reactions: JT
Does it have an editor?
The manual is 900 pages long, with 800 pages devoted to a looper it shouldn't have, so I can't say for sure.

I'm going to say "no". You can edit on-device in one of the standard modes, but deep-edit "Geek" mode is handled by way of plugging it into a PC and editing the text files in each of the subfolders corresponding with the presets. Which - though not at all "slick" - is probably the best approach.

...is my understanding. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: the mysterious "Time Engine"... there's no audio I/O, so it's clearly not a looper. I think it must be some kind of event sequencer to send combinations of MIDI events at timed intervals? The manual is very confusing, getting into all kinds of specifics (including a graphic of an audio backing track?) before properly stating the purpose of the feature. o_O

EDIT: Yep, that's the idea. It's mentioned at the very end of one of the half-dozen videos on Amazon. Not a feature I can ever foresee using for it's stated purpose, but I suspect it can be re-purposed as a Note sequencer, which might have some cool applications.

Last edited:
OK, I've had the MIDI Captain for a couple of days now, and overall I am very happy. 10 switches, two expr. pedal inputs, excellent programmability, low-latency Bluetooth wireless MIDI output, battery power. All this for $180. And PSA: Amazon is now bundling this and the MIDI Mate Bluetooth receiver dongle (normally another $35) for $185. They're also offering a $20 off coupon on the MIDI Captain alone, so you can get it today for $160. (Naturally this made me crazy, and Amazon wouldn't adjust, so I've already arranged to return everything, and re-ordered at the lower price. :facepalm)

Switches are a little scratchy, but relatively quiet. No click at all. I've turned into something of a footswitch connoisseur LOL. So far my personal favorites are the switches on the Helix. Smooth and quiet with a consistent little click for just enough haptic feedback. Second place goes to the Hotone Ampero Control 4, whose switches are completely silent, and really smooth. The MIDI Captain isn't as high quality as either, but the switches are consistently responsive, and they don't make enough noise to carry into a mic while you're tracking or looping or whatever.

The approach to editing is really (IMO refreshingly) old school. You plug the device into a PC with a USB cable and its contents pop up like a thumbdrive. Every preset has a global.txt file and a subfolder with text files for each of its switches. Edit the files, restart the pedal and you're done. For a second I thought it was a little nuts having to edit a different file for each switch, until I wanted to put together a preset with 4 switches from one preset and 6 switches from another... and I realized all I had to do was copy 4 files from one folder to the other. This is REALLY straightforward. If you've ever tried to manage MP3s or photos on an iPhone and gotten twitchy because Apple made it so complicated, you'll love this by contrast.

All the devils in the details relate to expression pedals. I was really hoping the compatible MIDI Mate wireless receiver supported Group mode (for multiple controllers) like CME WIDI does, but no such luck. (To be fair, no one claimed this mode was supported, nor do any other receivers that I'm aware of, apart from CME.) So my options are to use MIDI Mate, which is USB rechargeable with an on/off switch I'll surely forget to turn off (CME is MIDI-powered), and connect a conventional expression pedal to the MIDI Captain via TRS cable*; or go back to CME WIDI with a fragile transmitter hanging off the back of MIDI Captain - but this would allow me to continue using my BOSS EV-1-WL. Neither option is great, but I think there are enough strikes against MIDI Mate that I'll send it back and stick with CME.

(*While I was testing wired expression pedals, I had all kinds of unexpected results. Seems expression pedal inputs employ all kinds of tricks I wasn't aware of, and they're anything but consistent between different devices. For instance, plugging my Ampero Press into the MIDI Captain resulted in a really messed up sweep. Apparently it has an unusual potentiometer value, and some reviewers have complained about this. I never noticed, because my QC somehow responds to this pedal just fine when it's plugged in directly. Maybe it's checking the impedance dynamically? I have no idea.)

Last edited:
OK, I've had the MIDI Captain for a couple of days now, and overall I am very happy. 10 switches, two expr. pedal inputs, excellent programmability, low-latency Bluetooth MIDI output, battery power. All this for $180. And PSA: Amazon is now bundling this and the MIDI Mate Bluetooth receiver dongle (normally another $35) for $185. They're also offering a $20 off coupon on the MIDI Captain alone, so you can get it today for $160. (Naturally this made me crazy, and Amazon wouldn't adjust, so I've already arranged to return everything, and re-ordered at the lower price. :facepalm)

Switches are a little scratchy, but relatively quiet. No click at all. I've turned into something of a footswitch connoisseur LOL. So far my personal favorites are the switches on the Helix. Smooth and quiet with a consistent little click for just enough haptic feedback. Second place goes to the Hotone Ampero Control 4, whose switches are completely silent, and really smooth. The MIDI Captain isn't as high quality as either, but the switches are consistently responsive, and they don't make enough noise to carry into a mic while you're tracking or looping or whatever.

The approach to editing is really (IMO refreshingly) old school. You plug the device into a PC with a USB cable and its contents pop up like a thumbdrive. Every preset has a global.txt file and a subfolder with text files for each of its switches. Edit the files, restart the pedal and your done. For a second I thought it was a little nuts having to edit a different file for each switch, until I wanted to put together a preset with 4 switches from one preset and 6 switches from another... and I realized all I had to do was copy 4 files from one folder to the other. This is REALLY straightforward. If you've ever tried to manage MP3s or photos on an iPhone and gotten twitchy because Apple made it so complicated, you'll love this by contrast.

All the devils in the details relate to expression pedals. I was really hoping the compatible MIDI Mate wireless receiver supported Group mode (for multiple controllers) like CME WIDI does, but no such luck. (To be fair, no one claimed this mode was supported, nor do any other receivers that I'm aware of, apart from CME.) So my options are to use MIDI Mate, which is USB rechargeable with an on/off switch I'll surely forget to turn off, and connect a conventional expression pedal to the MIDI Captain via TRS cable*; or go back to CME WIDI with a fragile transmitter hanging off the back of MIDI Captain - but this would allow me to continue using my BOSS EV-1-WL. Neither option is great, but I think there are enough strikes against MIDI Mate that I'll send it back and go with CME.

(*While I was testing wired expression pedals, I had all kinds of unexpected results. Seems expression pedal inputs employ all kinds of tricks I wasn't aware of, and they're anything but consistent between different devices. For instance, plugging my Ampero Press into the MIDI Captain resulted in a really messed up sweep. Apparently it has an unusual potentiometer value, and some reviewers have complained about this. I never noticed, because my QC somehow responds this pedal just when it's plugged in directly. Maybe it's checking the impedance dynamically? I have no idea.)
Ignoring the exp pedal part; I actually think editing presets/programs via text editor is kinda cool :sofa provided it's obvious what the syntax is

Ignoring the exp pedal part; I actually think editing presets/programs via text editor is kinda cool :sofa provided it's obvious what the syntax is
Mostly straightforward in this regard, yeah. I haven’t bothered updating the firmware for “geek mode” support… because Paint Audio doesn’t make it super clear what that means. My needs are relatively simple, and it’s working fine as is.

I forgot to mention: size is great (way smaller than an iPad box lol) but footswitch spacing will be a problem for many. Vertical spacing is slightly further than QC, horizontal spacing is actually slightly closer. :O

Back