Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

So how are you gents getting on with your midi captains now? These appear to be £129 in the UK, which for 10 programmable buttons for my stomp is a bloody steal if they're as good as they look.
I still have mine attached to my DIY board controlling my Stomp and my MT15, using only two of the many available pages in Geek Mode. Page one has 6 Stomp controllers for effects, tap tempo and tuner (the two switches on the far right navigate up and down the pages). Page 2 is set up for presets (I mostly live in 2 presets that correspond with the 2 channels of the MT15), lead snapshot, with a few more midi CCs to toggle parameters. I think Page three has switches to change snapshots for if I ever want to control it all wirelessly. Plenty of switches for what I want to do.

Are any of you using the wireless midi mate? Being able to control my JVM and stomp from one box and have the jvm controlled wirelessly would be pretty cool.
Not really, just for kicks a few times. Perhaps if I also put my drive pedal in the other loop separate from my amp so I could toggle it.. Just sounds like too much work and an extra block..so I have it all together to be able to switch it all. I do like the idea of having the wireless option available for possible future use even though the black color of the Standard model was preferred. The gold isn't as gold as it is a silver/champagne cross.

Still haven't been able to move this MIDI Commander. Going to probably give it to the boy so he can learn how to be confused by MIDI.

I did some reprogramming of the footswitches and found it a pain whilst attached to my peddleberd - batteries and wireless MIDI to the rescue! I haven't left Geek Mode for several weeks but wanted to rearrange a lot of things. To help me remember what I did, I threw together this in a Word doc:

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 8.31.01 PM.png

Something else I didn't notice till now, the spring on the battery door blocks a AA battery from sliding in/out of the slot next to the door hinge (rhymes with orange). Bending the spring slightly out of the way works but I wonder how long that spring will take abuse. Best to leave my rechargeable batteries in there.

Another thing I wonder about is if batteries are recharged while the power is connected but unit switched off? Will find tomorrow morning..

Still loving mine. I am using it with their wireless MIDI dongle in order to skip a cable. Works great, very low latency. The only downside is that it doesn't support any sort of a grouping mode - meaning, you can't pair any other wireless MIDI devices simultaneously. This meant shelving my Roland EV-1-WL expression pedal, and connecting a mini pedal to the MIDI Captain with a short TRS cable.

In reference to some of the posts above (my own and @Alex Kenivel's), the issue with expr. position jumping around comes down to polarity. You can "fix" the problem (or at least prove the cause) by breaking out the L and R signals and swapping them with an unsightly pile of dongles - or you can buy a pedal with switchable polarity. The Hotone pedal I had was the wrong polarity, and the Dunlop in similar form factor is a little overpriced, so I wound up with Paint Audio's own equivalent. It has two outputs: one for each polarity. Nice feature.

I never bothered upgrading to the f/w that supports Geek Mode, because I know I would spend the rest of my life "optimizing" it. I played with a couple of variations and just landed on a setup that maps the left 8 switches to Quad Cortex switches A-H (like for like), maps the top right switch (up) to cycle between QC modes (Scene and Stomp, typically), and maps the bottom right (down) switch to toggle in and out of the QC looper view. Works great.

The rechargeable feature is a little weird. Slow as hell, and no idea what's happening if it isn't powered on. I've usually got a USB cable connected to a charger, so it's slowly charging whenever I'm using it. If I ever had to take it out of the studio, it would be ready. But arguably, leaving it plugged in by default kind of defeats the purpose.

@SillyOctopus - worth holding out for the gold version w/ wireless IMO. It actually looks more like brushed steel in person. Nothing too garish, apart from the rainbow-colored "MIDI" logo.

Last edited:
Still loving mine. I am using it with their wireless MIDI dongle in order to skip a cable. Works great, very low latency. The only downside is that it doesn't support any sort of a grouping mode - meaning, you can't pair any other wireless MIDI devices simultaneously. This meant shelving my Roland EV-1-WL expression pedal, and connecting a mini pedal to the MIDI Captain with a short TRS cable.

In reference to some of the posts above (my own and @Alex Kenivel's), the issue with expr. position jumping around comes down to polarity. You can "fix" the problem (or at least prove the cause) by breaking out the L and R signals and swapping them with an unsightly pile of dongles - or you can buy a pedal with switchable polarity. The Hotone pedal I had was the wrong polarity, and the Dunlop in similar form factor is a little overpriced, so I would up with Paint Audio's own equivalent. It has two outputs: one for each polarity. Nice feature.

I never bothered upgrading to the f/w that supports Geek Mode, because I know I would spend the rest of my life "optimizing" it. I played with a couple of variations and just landed on a setup that maps the left 8 switches to Quad Cortex switches A-H (like for like), maps the top right switch (up) to cycle between QC modes (Scene and Stomp, typically), and maps the bottom right (down) switch to toggle in and out of the QC looper view. Works great.

The rechargeable feature is a little weird. Slow as hell, and no idea what's happening if it isn't powered on. I've usually got a USB cable connected to a charger, so it's slowly charging whenever I'm using it. If I ever had to take it out of the studio, it would be ready. But arguably, leaving it plugged in by default kind of defeats the purpose.

@SillyOctopus - worth holding out for the gold version w/ wireless IMO. It actually looks more like brushed steel in person. Nothing too garish, apart from the rainbow-colored "MIDI" logo.

I'm assuming you can just run these of your pedal board power supply and I could just ignore the battery option?

We're waiting to see if my wife's parents are going to visit us soon from california. If so I'll order one and ship it to their house, they can bring it out for me. I've had a good hunt and can definitely only get the standard black version in the UK.

I'm assuming you can just run these of your pedal board power supply and I could just ignore the battery option?

We're waiting to see if my wife's parents are going to visit us soon from california. If so I'll order one and ship it to their house, they can bring it out for me. I've had a good hunt and can definitely only get the standard black version in the UK.
Yes, it's got barrel jack DC input and will also run off of USB power. Quite versatile. Mine usually sits all by its lonesome on the floor, so I run it off of high capacity rechargeable batteries. The implementation is somewhat funky, but it's still a cool feature. Anything to eliminate a cable.

This bundle, with wireless dongle, looks like best value proposition right now:

Or this, if you want a cheap but guaranteed compatible expression pedal for it:

Yes, it's got barrel jack DC input and will also run off of USB power. Quite versatile. Mine usually sits all by its lonesome on the floor, so I run it off of high capacity rechargeable batteries. The implementation is somewhat funky, but it's still a cool feature. Anything to eliminate a cable.

This bundle, with wireless dongle, looks like best value proposition right now:

Or this, if you want a cheap but guaranteed compatible expression pedal for it:

I'm not seeing any links dude.

Have acquired a Midi Captain Std and exploring the options. A really flexible controller. Have not been able to re-program the Up/Down foot switches in Geek Mode and they do not seem to send any midi out when pressed. However I assume they can be reprogrammed in the Normal Preset Mode as I would like to change both memory bank of an Boss RC-500 and the Pre-set in the HX Stomp at the same time etc.

Have not been able to re-program the Up/Down foot switches in Geek Mode and they do not seem to send any midi out when pressed.
They can't be reprogrammed to be anything other than page-turners for the 16 pages of 8 switches in Geek Mode.

I assume they can be reprogrammed in the Normal Preset Mode as I would like to change both memory bank of an Boss RC-500 and the Pre-set in the HX Stomp at the same time etc.
They can be reprogrammed in Normal mode

They can't be reprogrammed to be anything other than page-turners for the 16 pages of 8 switches in Geek Mode.

They can be reprogrammed in Normal mode
That is basically what I thought as I could not see any midi data coming out when the up/down switches were pressed in Geek mode. Was also wondering, if in 'normal mode', can you send midi messages to two separate midi channels in the same preset like you can in the Geek mode? For instance, sending Tap Tempo to two different devices that are on separate midi channels like 1 and 4 etc.

That is basically what I thought as I could not see any midi data coming out when the up/down switches were pressed in Geek mode. Was also wondering, if in 'normal mode', can you send midi messages to two separate midi channels in the same preset like you can in the Geek mode? For instance, sending Tap Tempo to two different devices that are on separate midi channels like 1 and 4 etc.
I'm going to have to eat my words now. I was just messing with assigning a whole new page to different presets of my Strymon Brig and I accidentally reprogrammed the up Arrow to send a PC command and changed its color. Then I noticed the up and down command can be assigned to any of the switches. Then it dawned on me that you could theoretically assign midi commands as well as internal page turning commands to send out commands while turning pages.

Hey guys! I’ve been enjoying my MIDI Capt for a few weeks. I’m using it to expand control of my HX Stomp. But, I ran into an issue yesterday: I went into Geek Mode, then tried to switch back… and then nothing. Screen went black, although I could tell it was on. I made it worse by downloading the update to just reinstall everything, but accidentally deleted the license file…

Not sure how to get this guy working again. It shows up on my comp when I plug it in, but that’s about it.

Open to ideas! I’ve emailed support about it already. Just haven’t heard back. Really kicking myself on this one…

Well, I may have spoken too soon. Now my unit is stuck on the “Elevate your music” screen. Can’t get to the Home Screen. That’s progress tho!

Back