Old guys. Things have grabbed your ear that are "new"

Turnstile is awesome. The kids and I listen to the Glow On album heading to school at least once or twice a week.

I don't actively seek out new music. Most everything new that I hear, I don't dig. And of my favorite bands, DT sucks, just rehashing all their old stuff in new songs, and nothing is as interesting as the early stuff..., can't get into the new Porcupine Tree, the new King's X sounds too weird to me, and the new Muse is like, wtf?

Guess I'm that old guy. But I don't care, because I could run through all the stuff I love, and not repeat a song for weeks.

Turnstile is awesome. The kids and I listen to the Glow On album heading to school at least once or twice a week.
Turnstile is sooooo awesome. Hit so many feels I wasn't aware I had. Serious waves of nostalgia. Like a touch of Beasties and Weezer started a commercial post hard-core band. Glow On is Fantastic.

Turnstile is sooooo awesome. Hit so many feels I wasn't aware I had. Serious waves of nostalgia. Like a touch of Beasties and Weezer started a commercial post hard-core band. Glow On is Fantastic.

That guitarist's tone is so rotten to the core.... to my ears. :) I applaud them, though. Very genre-bending. And anything
with some guitar in it that hits the feels for the younguns is good in my book.

I don't actively seek out new music. Most everything new that I hear, I don't dig. And of my favorite bands, DT sucks, just rehashing all their old stuff in new songs, and nothing is as interesting as the early stuff..., can't get into the new Porcupine Tree, the new King's X sounds too weird to me, and the new Muse is like, wtf?

Guess I'm that old guy. But I don't care, because I could run through all the stuff I love, and not repeat a song for weeks.

Get off my lawn!!!!! :)

This is why I am buying old vinyl and building up my collection. I just enjoy it more. I still hear things new to me in
that dated rock. Guess my ears are still maturing.

Nostalgia for the win, I suppose. :)

Hahahaha my first experience with Rivers Of Nihil was right after my buddy left my house and I was tripping my face off. I was laying on the couch doing the eyes-closed-but-no-f*ckin-way-am-i-sleeping thing when it came on YouTube. Talk about the right video at the right time! I kept poking my head up to look at the screen then closing my eyes, when the sax solo came up I sat straight up and immediately got the album.

I’m terrible at finding new music, and when I do, I’m way late.

So I’ll be using this thread to learn from you guys. Lately, I’m digging hard rock / southern rock, blues rock, etc. Any kind of “riff driven” rock…

Been listening to this album a lot, it’s a side project of Brann (drummer) from Mastodon. No guitars, all synths, drums and vocals. Pretty f*cking cool.

Surprisingly, I came across this on TGP and got the album. Really, really chill stuff.

Outside of that, Mastodon has been getting nonstop play in my place for a year now. I’m on another Faith No More bender right now, which happens every 4-5 months.

Oh, this is a few years old now, but not technically a legacy band; Clint and Morgan from Sevendust put out an album they wrote together, while there’s some Sevendust hints here and there, it stood on it’s own and is my favorite thing Clint’s done. I’m a huge fan of that dude, outstanding songwriter. This is one of my favorite songs on this album-

Hahahaha my first experience with Rivers Of Nihil was right after my buddy left my house and I was tripping my face off. I was laying on the couch doing the eyes-closed-but-no-f*ckin-way-am-i-sleeping thing when it came on YouTube. Talk about the right video at the right time! I kept poking my head up to look at the screen then closing my eyes, when the sax solo came up I sat straight up and immediately got the album.
Maaaaaaaaan; that sax solo :chef

I don't like their latest album near as much but Owls was :satan

Not new, and generally not a fan of instrumental music, but both Russian Circles and Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
float my boat. So good. And better than New Age drivel for background music. No offense to anyone reading tea leaves
and smudging their house right now. :hugitout

Just stumbled upon these guys in the past year and am blown away by both the musicianship and production. And the
guitar tones are diverse and :chef

Last edited:
Maaaaaaaaan; that sax solo :chef

I don't like their latest album near as much but Owls was :satan

I’ve only heard a song or two off it and only once. I definitely know what you’re saying with finding time to digest music……and I don’t have kids! I should set aside at least one hour a week where I just put headphones on, sit on my couch and listen to a whole album all the way through.

I’ve only heard a song or two off it and only once. I definitely know what you’re saying with finding time to digest music……and I don’t have kids! I should set aside at least one hour a week where I just put headphones on, sit on my couch and listen to a whole album all the way through.

I made a commitment to start my day with music (and coffee :guiness)---and not
email and TV and Internet and other nonsense. It has definitely made an HUGE
difference in my mental health. I suppose it is a bit of a ritual. No politics, or someone
trying to convince me to think one way, or make me feel empty and worthless inside
through advertising. Have the rest of the day for all of that!! :rofl

Back