Old guys. Things have grabbed your ear that are "new"

Biffy Clyro isn't new, but they're relatively new to me. I get the feeling they're bigger over seas. Truly an amazing band!

I seriously love them SO much. You know a band is Scottish, when you can even hear their accents in the singing! :LOL:

Biffy Clyro isn't new, but they're relatively new to me. I get the feeling they're bigger over seas. Truly an amazing band!

I seriously love them SO much. You know a band is Scottish, when you can even hear their accents in the singing! :LOL:

Got to love how the dude handles the guitar, especially live, he can be kinda “violent” in his playing in a very graceful way…. If that makes sense.

Like Polyphia… yeah they are talented but it’s all so… shallow? Performance oriented?
I'm 50, and love Periphery, Meshuggah, etc. to the point that I've learned several of their songs. I came up on hair metal, then thrash, and so forth. My tastes have gotten heavier over the years instead of going the other way. Polyphia is kind of like Steve Vai to me. Amazing for a couple minutes, then it's like....meh. Nothing I've heard of theirs has moved me other than to say, "Neat." Plus, their attitude (which I would have thought was cool when I was their age) grates on me. But that's old man yelling at cloud stuff.

I'm 55, which probably puts me in the older end of the demo here.
Yet, I still find new things that aren't paint by numbers (like most of the sh*t pitched at me by recommendation engines is.) For example, I think Orbit Culture is great:

Admittedly, some of the vocals on the second tune definitely have a "vintage Hetfield" vibe that doesn't hurt.

Definitely sounds like they pulled the vocalist from a Black Album tribute band. Dig it. Adding to my playlist...

Well I love prog, and I heard elements of prog in this, plus it was fresh, without being over the top. I dug it!

I guess I just consider it "prog" if it sounds different. Those rhythms at the end sound a bit prog-y to me, for example. Kinda hard to explain, but it's just something that has to do with how it sounds. To me.
Yeah true. They do mess around a lot with strings, synths, and then also different time signatures, which is proggy. Progressive rock itself is a nebulous term anyway :LOL:

I'm 55, which probably puts me in the older end of the demo here.
Yet, I still find new things that aren't paint by numbers (like most of the sh*t pitched at me by recommendation engines is.) For example, I think Orbit Culture is great:

Admittedly, some of the vocals on the second tune definitely have a "vintage Hetfield" vibe that doesn't hurt.

One of the first threads on this forum was about Orbit Culture, I love the sh*t out of these guys.

This is pretty damn cool, never heard of this dude before but clearly I’m one of the few because this crowd definitely knows their music!

Really interesting stuff and when they rock out, they rock out. Definitely going to dig into more of this, thanks!

I guess I just consider it "prog" if it sounds different. Those rhythms at the end sound a bit prog-y to me, for example. Kinda hard to explain, but it's just something that has to do with how it sounds. To me.

I’m with ya, I really consider anything outside of the standard song format that you can’t really stick one genre on to be prog.

Or in the case of my own music, half-assed-semi-prog metal.

Premise: I'M NOT OLD :mad:

I'm sure I'm there's more but I listen to shitload of music and sometimes is difficult to keep up with my self but my current favourite new (for me!) discoveries of the last years probably are these

Leprous

Thank you scientist

Bent Knee

Haken

What grabs my ears these days has nothing to do with "guitar music". Also, by the time I discover it, it's old news by today's standards. Guess I really am old :(
Example:

You know, can listen to their songs with audio off and love them anyway, LOL

Last edited:
Rivers of Nihil f***s. I'll be seeing them play The Work in full on the 24th, opening for the Contortionist who is doing trwo sets both Exoplanet and Language in full

I'm 29 but I advise old guys to check out All Them Witches, probably the best "new" rock band out there rn

Really interesting, thank you!

Back