Ola rocks a JJ Jr.

I think the JVMs are close, too. :idk

I’ve not played one but the descriptions seem like it would fit in that realm. It’s funny, I see mesa jcm5150 or whatever and it sounds all epic and unobtainable, then I look at my boring run of the mill dsl and it’s like yeah I think that’ll do it lol

my cameron mig pretty much fits that description, for production amps though id say just a simple boosted DSL into v30s

Too funny, I was going to say I’ve heard some Camerons that got pretty close. And the Mesa 5-band definitely works some wonders.

My only experience with the JVM is the model in Fractal land and I’ve only checked it out once for a couple minutes, I’ll have to dig back into it.

I’ve not played one but the descriptions seem like it would fit in that realm. It’s funny, I see mesa jcm5150 or whatever and it sounds all epic and unobtainable, then I look at my boring run of the mill dsl and it’s like yeah I think that’ll do it lol

Hahah, I was mostly content with a solid state Peavey XXL for nearly a decade. I traded/sold/bought a few Mesa's and 5150's but kept the XXL the whole time and it wasn't until I started writing more than metal music that I finally got a bit sick of it. One of the biggest reasons I got into modeling was so I could make a bunch of awesome combinations of amps....and I've done it all of once trying to make a Snorkler because I always go back to my familiar favorites, Mesa's and the 5150.

I agree and I had to go through 4 different EL84 amps before I realized they just aint got the balls for it. Never again. For whatever reason 6v6's can thump just fine but EL84's are nutless wastes of glass IMHO of course.

I agree with you, for the most part, and this amp (Grandmeister) doesn't seem like your cup of tea, but my opinion of EL84's changed with 2 amps. The Peavey Classic line, and the H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 that I currently own.

I'm not going to tell you that EL84's bring the same girth as 6L6's at 120 db, but the Grandmeister definitely sounds girthier the JJ Jr (for example), or PRS MT-15 that I've tried.

Similar with the Peavey Classic series.

Having said that, I do/did run the bass up pretty high on both amps, and these are the exceptions and not the rules.

Too funny, I was going to say I’ve heard some Camerons that got pretty close. And the Mesa 5-band definitely works some wonders.

My only experience with the JVM is the model in Fractal land and I’ve only checked it out once for a couple minutes, I’ll have to dig back into it.

Hahah, I was mostly content with a solid state Peavey XXL for nearly a decade. I traded/sold/bought a few Mesa's and 5150's but kept the XXL the whole time and it wasn't until I started writing more than metal music that I finally got a bit sick of it. One of the biggest reasons I got into modeling was so I could make a bunch of awesome combinations of amps....and I've done it all of once trying to make a Snorkler because I always go back to my familiar favorites, Mesa's and the 5150.

i understand, i still enjoy my old SS amps as much as my tube amps for the ultra high gain stuff. i dont understand though why i never got into modeling, i just kept buying amps for some reason lol. things like easily making combos of amps sounds like fun

I have to ask what tonal characteristics you guys are hearing that makes you say this sounds great? I just listened again and can’t imagine anyone really thinking this sounds good in any way?

Either that was a pretty lousy demo from Ola or there is something wrong with that amp.
Mine sounds nothing like that and sounds great to my ears.

I think the problem here is also to do with the cab and mic setup. I love Ola and his content but I’ve noticed that he sometimes gets really nasty (in a bad way), even out of phase, mic’d up tones that just sounds like he isn’t really taking the time to mic the cab up well. I’m pretty sure the amp is good for what it is designed to do, but Ola’s can and mic setups haven’t been very flattering! Just my $0.02.

I think the problem here is also to do with the cab and mic setup. I love Ola and his content but I’ve noticed that he sometimes gets really nasty (in a bad way), even out of phase, mic’d up tones that just sounds like he isn’t really taking the time to mic the cab up well. I’m pretty sure the amp is good for what it is designed to do, but Ola’s can and mic setups haven’t been very flattering! Just my $0.02.

He’s using a popular mic in a standard spot with a cab he’s been using for years that sounds fine with other amps :idk

Hahahah I don’t think he’s taking time at all, he just tosses a couple mics up and presses Record.

Hahahah I don’t think he’s taking time at all, he just tosses a couple mics up and presses Record.

In most cases I think that’s a benefit to the demo, particularly that he normally mixes in room mics too, so you do get a better sense of what it might sound like in person. (To some degree)

In most cases I think that’s a benefit to the demo, particularly that he normally mixes in room mics too, so you do get a better sense of what it might sound like in person. (To some degree)

Yeah, if I remember right, he did it to appease those who don’t like a close-mic’d sound (which I strongly prefer).

Ola is the best demo’er and actually sounds like I do going through the same few amps we have

Back