Ola rocks a JJ Jr.

I've seen a bunch of comparisons between this and the Pink Taco v2, and I always prefer the PT.
Has Ola done a video on that one yet? :unsure:

Sounds really wooly. It's an odd choice for a metal guy to mic the amp with a single condenser close to the speaker (from what I can tell). Didn't like the amp much with the baritone guitar but with the standard one it was better.

Sounded surprisingly good with the direct out, much brighter and more aggressive, not fizzy. Even liked the off axis setting for a warmer tone. But agreed I would love to see them add a setting for no cab filter to use IR's...

Most of the other demos I heard were awesome. But again I'm not a metal drop tune guy, more straight up rock.

It's an odd choice for a metal guy to mic the amp with a single condenser close to the speaker (from what I can tell).

i have a couple of those tlm102's and they are great on heavy guitars, lots of guys have been using them lately

Sounds really wooly. It's an odd choice for a metal guy to mic the amp with a single condenser close to the speaker (from what I can tell). Didn't like the amp much with the baritone guitar but with the standard one it was better.

I think it's got not all that much to do with the mic but rather with the amp not being tight enough, especially for any low tuned chuggachugga. Should work well for plenty of other styles, though.

i have a couple of those tlm102's and they are great on heavy guitars, lots of guys have been using them lately

Maybe pulling the mic an inch or two back and moving a bit more to the center of the cone? That could clean up the lows and add a little highs.

I always think 57 for metal, or 57 with a 421, or dual 57 Fredman style. I do like the condenser to capture more of the whole cab tone though.

I borrowed a friend's, and, I like it, didn't love it, but the one gig I took it on, with a 4x12, I plugged it in during soundcheck, and it was squealing, so, I didn't use it that night.

Neither one of us was ever able to duplicate it, and he sold it a few months later.

I did like the tone of the XLR out, for IEMs.

P.S. - as long as Ola, (and Leon for that matter), use downtuned guitars, their demos will be useless to me. Moreso Ola, because I don't play metal.

Poor @DrewJD82 … just let him like the JJ…

He Likes It Life Cereal GIF

Just need to throw a couple overdrives in front and maybe an EQ in the loop and it’s absolutely do-able!

Actually, I’ve played my bud’s JJ (100) a few times now and dialing the Gain back to around 7 is pretty much all I need, it tightens up with less gain (pretty sure Ola had it cranked the majority of that vid) and with the right pickup/guitar, I wouldn’t need either. Could be the issue of EL84’s in the Jr lending to the mushier aspects, but that mushy tone is what I love about Mesa’s, I’ve been trying for years to perfect a mushy-but-tight Mesa JCM800 5150-fier.

I watch GC used for heads quite a bit, along with some guitars I keep an eye out for.
More than any other head, I've seen the JJ Jr used for sale.
Plenty of them.

I don't know about you guys, but when I see a bunch of one product for sale, already used, I tend to steer clear...

Maybe pulling the mic an inch or two back and moving a bit more to the center of the cone? That could clean up the lows and add a little highs.

I always think 57 for metal, or 57 with a 421, or dual 57 Fredman style. I do like the condenser to capture more of the whole cab tone though.

It might help, I usually just go right in the center these days, looks like he’s on the edge of the cone but that’s not gonna be that drastic a difference or help that horrible gain structure

I watch GC used for heads quite a bit, along with some guitars I keep an eye out for.
More than any other head, I've seen the JJ Jr used for sale.
Plenty of them.

I don't know about you guys, but when I see a bunch of one product for sale, already used, I tend to steer clear...

I see a lot of JJ Junior combos listed incorrectly as heads at a nice discount too.

I see a lot of JJ Junior combos listed incorrectly as heads at a nice discount too.
I don't want for someone to think I am knocking the amp, no experience with the JJ model. Once in a while I look for a used Smallbox, the amount of JJ's just caught my eye a couple weeks ago...

Back