Ola rocks a JJ Jr.

I agree and I had to go through 4 different EL84 amps before I realized they just aint got the balls for it. Never again. For whatever reason 6v6's can thump just fine but EL84's are nutless wastes of glass IMHO of course.
You just have not played the right
(4) EL84 amp.
Therefore…
We’re goin’ on a f’n JOYRIDE Bob!

I don't want for someone to think I am knocking the amp, no experience with the JJ model. Once in a while I look for a used Smallbox, the amount of JJ's just caught my eye a couple weeks ago...

It could just be they are super popular. Looking on Reverb, there's slightly more JJ Juniors (24) than Runts (19) and PT's (18). Nowhere near as many BE-100's (12) or Dirty Shirleys (13). That's probably largely because of price.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. The gain structure is just off on this one. Wooly, bassy, and not enough actual gain or cut to it.
Yeah, it wasn't lighting my fire either. Now, the clean tones... wow... those sounded awesome.

I had one back when they first came out. Mine was not sounding all that good back then.
However, I ordered another one and received it about a week ago and it is fabulous. Definitely sounds much better than the one I had previously.

You need a JCA100.

I recently acquired one. tremendous amp but it blew up on me on day 2 and I returned it. If I'd have sussed the problem out myself I'd have fixed it and kept it cos it was that good. Sadly I couldn't find anything wrong with it but it made a loud pop and poof died. Replaced all the power tubes and pre-tubes, checked all the fuses and nada. Ended up with a DSL20HR instead.

I recently acquired one. tremendous amp but it blew up on me on day 2 and I returned it. If I'd have sussed the problem out myself I'd have fixed it and kept it cos it was that good. Sadly I couldn't find anything wrong with it but it made a loud pop and poof died. Replaced all the power tubes and pre-tubes, checked all the fuses and nada. Ended up with a DSL20HR instead.
That sucks. Sorry that happened to ya. I’ve had mine for close to a year and it rips just as good now as ever. Best 100 watt head I’ve ever owned. Granted I’ve not owned a lot of 100 watters…

Go listen to this video starting at 8:49 and tell me if you still think that:

Hahaha I’m very aware of how badass the Road King is but now we’re not only in Mesa territory but pretty much boutique amp prices as well! It’s kind of like me and Ibanez right now; I love Ibanez, but they’re all I’ve played for years and unless one fell in my lap for dirt cheap, I’m all set for a little while as I check out other stuff.

The other part is that I live in an apartment and am not currently in a band, so a tube amp is something that I really don’t need right now. I can’t even put my Deluxe Reverb on 2 in here!

This is still probably my favorite Ola moment besides the recent interview with John Petrucci.

Speaking of which, the Amp 1 Iridium sound is pretty much exactly what I would want from a high gainer. I use the Mercury Edition and it works well enough for me but if I just wanted one thing that does that high gain metal rhythm tone - Iridium is way cheaper and more practical than a lot of stuff out there and really delivers.

This is still probably my favorite Ola moment besides the recent interview with John Petrucci.

Speaking of which, the Amp 1 Iridium sound is pretty much exactly what I would want from a high gainer. I use the Mercury Edition and it works well enough for me but if I just wanted one thing that does that high gain metal rhythm tone - Iridium is way cheaper and more practical than a lot of stuff out there and really delivers.

I find the BluGuitar stuff pretty intriguing, and would love to try one some time, but oddly at their price point I always feel like i should either spend a little more and just get a big tube head, or a little less for one of the other pedal amp alternatives. It sorta sits in the “not expensive, not cheap” black hole and I just look in other directions. Maybe I should scour the used market for one to try.

I find the BluGuitar stuff pretty intriguing, and would love to try one some time, but oddly at their price point I always feel like i should either spend a little more and just get a big tube head, or a little less for one of the other pedal amp alternatives. It sorta sits in the “not expensive, not cheap” black hole and I just look in other directions. Maybe I should scour the used market for one to try.
I can understand that. But I think we need to look at its value proposition:
  • 4 channels.
  • All analog signal path.
  • Actual 100W (150W on Iridium), gets very very loud.
  • Digital reverb.
  • Noise gate.
  • Boost. Goes from clean boost to mid boost.
  • Great master volume makes it easy to set as quiet or loud as you'd need.
  • Series fx loop, -10 or +4 dB level, fx loop on/off via MIDI/Remote1 if needed.
  • Built in powersoak available via MIDI/Remote1.
  • 2nd master volume available via MIDI/Remote 1.
  • Recording out. Its analog cab sim is mediocre but works well enough for FOH uses.
  • MIDI controllable (not for knobs tho as they are analog) with the MIDI adapter (which has a built in MIDI controller inside the cable so it's a bit pricy).
  • Very compact and lightweight. Even comes with a little carry case.
That's a lot in a small box. They're by no means perfect but I really do love my Mercury Edition. Takes pedals great, works just as well as a poweramp for other stuff.

If you can find the Mercury or Iridium used for a fair price it's definitely worth a try.

Haven't we all? :LOL:

Seriously, that is like, a perfect description of the tone I hear in my head. It doesn't sound like any one of them, alone, but the good aspects of all of them.

Can anyone think of anything that comes close? :idk

if anyone wants to "mesa-ise" their amp i suggest getting the 5 band eq and putting it in the loop, that thing turns every amp i have into a mesa all of a sudden with just a slight V of those mesa frequencies.

Back