Ok I just bought a Mark V combo

Yeah.... you didn't wait on my advice. :hmm

The reduced power modes actually involve more circuitry than less, so the safest bet
would have been full power mode.

Sorry. :(

Ah well. I think I'm gonna drop it off at the local L&M and pretend it never arrived yet. Would like to have it looked over anyway, for peace of mind.

Thanks for the help and support, I do appreciate it!

I'd toss you another fuse across the Huron but my arm is not what it used to be. :wat

No place to source another fuse locally?? :idk

It's definitely something in the power section, since the preamp side is not enough
voltage to blow a fuse like that.

I'd toss you another fuse across the Huron but my arm is not what it used to be. :wat

No place to source another fuse locally?? :idk

It's definitely something in the power section, since the preamp side is not enough
voltage to blow a fuse like that.

I could try, but I'm actually legit sick and off work today, not sure I want to run around looking for fuses. Crazy sinus/head cold.

Imma eat a (gluten free) sammich and think about my options, I guess.

Last edited:
Ah well. I think I'm gonna drop it off at the local L&M and pretend it never arrived yet. Would like to have it looked over anyway, for peace of mind.

Thanks for the help and support, I do appreciate it!

That sounds wise, TS. 2x is not worth risking a 3rd. The good news is those fuses
are in there for a reason and help protect the amp from any serious damage
occurring. :beer

I could try, but I'm actually legit sick and off work today, not sure I want to run around looking for fuses. Crazy sinus/head cold.

Imma eat a (gluten free) sammich and things about my options, I guess.

Oh man! That double sucks. Sorry, Mate. :hugitout

Did you sneeze on the amp???? :idk

I'd have full trust that it'll be a great amp for you for a long, long time. The Honeymoon
is just getting delayed until you both feel better. :beer

The good news is those fuses are in there for a reason and help protect the amp from any serious damage
occurring. :beer

Yes, although I didn't mention there was that slight burnt smell when the amp first died. After seeing the blown fuse, I thought it was that, but this second fuse didn't seem to make a smell? Maybe something got fried in the amp?

Funny thing is, it totally goes with that "too good to be true" thing, it was all just going too perfectly. The amp price, the colour, the super-fast shipping, the one hour from "out for delivery" to being delivered... then boom, fried amp in 10 seconds. :rofl

I am sitting here itching to go looking for fuses and try one with the new power tubes, if I can find it.

However, my daughter coincidentally has piano+theory lessons at L&M tonight, so it makes sense just to chill out and bring the amp in then.

Still itching though... :grin

If you do get a chance to try it again: Full Power, Diode, Go! :banana

Maybe L&M will have Fuses/Tubes they'll let you try in the amp while you are there. :idk

Oh, and if you have the amp there in the store see if you can pull the chassis first
to look at the board to see if you can spot anything that may have gotten toasted,
since you said you smelt something funny.

Bad power tubes tend not to smell if and when they go.

One big thing I never thought to ask about until now is making sure the speaker cable is
fully plugged in on the back of the amp.

And the saga continues…

I just brought it back to L&M here. They’re going to send it to head office/Traynor-Yorkville, as the local tech I referred to earlier has retired, and they quoted me about a month turnaround.

So that’s not great, but it’s actually quicker than the 3-4 months I experienced with the local guy in the past.

And… they’ve given me a brand new Mark V 35 combo to use in the meantime! So that makes it all good in my mind. Now I can just play this until the other one’s done, no rush.

Can’t wait to hear those sweet EL84s, eh @JiveTurkey! 😍

IMG_7089.jpeg

Back