NGD: Can never have too much sunlight

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
To say I'm a fan of Solar Guitars might be an understatement. A friend in Colorado sold me a Solar A2.4 bass a few years ago and I've loved the brand ever since. In 2020 I got an A2.6S that is still my go-to guitar. A little over a year ago I got an A2.6CAR (candy apple red) and it still stops me in my tracks when I see it.

Won an amazingly underpriced eBay auction for an A2.7FR in Lemon Neon back in late February and it's also a show stopper, looks wise. But, I have zero need for a Floyd Rose, but have wanted a 7 string to complement my Jackson HT7.

So I started looking again.

I've loved the Solar Canibalismo paint scheme since they first introduced it awhile back and actually ordered a red/black one last year, but the delivery date kept getting pushed back, so I cancelled the order.

When they intro'ed this one a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted one.

What really amazes me is the shipping speed. Ordered from Solar late last week, they shipped it from Spain the next day, it was on my doorstep in the Twin Cities yesterday. I had a Reverb seller on the other side of town take longer to send me a Bogner Mini a few months ago.

So far, every Solar I've bought has just wowed me right out of the box. The A2.6CAR needed absolutely nothing and was even in tune when I unwrapped it. So, my expectations were probably a little unrealistic with this one.
et1QnCe.jpg

When I pulled it from the box the first thing I noticed was the strings looked old, and up between the nut and tuners the strings had some sort of black residue all over them - almost like the strings were on it when they splattered the black paint on - which I'm sure they didn't, but... (Canibalismo strings anyone?).

Then looking further, the fretboard was crazy dry and the fretboard doesn't line up quite right with the neck between the nut and first fret. None of that is a huge deal, but it took a little shine off the apple, unlike my other Solars.

I ran it through the Uber gain preset I have in my Fender GTX combo to see what the Solar+ pickup sounds like and, yeah, it is MEAN. Love that for sure.

4vNjewu.jpg

Once I got off work, I brought it down into my "studio" and went to restring it. Pulled the dirty strings off, conditioned the fretboard and while doing so noticed the nut was really dusty. Maybe it's graphite put in the string slots to help them slide that then transferred to the fretboard and surrounding headstock? Dunno. Just another oddity compared to the other Solars.
cO5LFkm.jpg

In person, unless it has direct light on it, the green is much darker than I was expecting.
But it seems to brighten up a lot under the lights, which is kind of interesting. In the room it's a shade or two darker than these pictures would have you believe.

The Lemon Neon actually has some sort of fluorescence to it, that makes it "glow". This one doesn't do that, but it definitely looks different depending on the light source.

Either way, I dig it. Just not quite as "love at first sight" as I was with my other Solars. Kinda feel like if I could choose from several of these in a store, I'd have put this one back and grabbed another of the same model instead. But, that's the dice roll we take buying guitars online, right?

I think I'm set for Solars now (even though the Lemon Neon is for sale).

I dug that Cannabilismo when I saw it! Congrats!!

Bummer it's not a perfect specimen like the others have been and hopefully the board takes oils well and darkens up a bit with time. I'm guessing the nut/fingerboard issue isn't a total showstopper? I couldn't see it in the pics.

All in all, this is the first case of someone actually experiencing some QC-related stuff with these that hasn't been a "I saw a pic on FB of cracked fingerboards" post, which I 100% believe was 1 guitar being posted multiple times at different areas.

Love it, huge congrats!! Glad the "problems" seem minor. I think that's the best collection of Solars I've yet encountered! Impressive sir!

I dug that Cannabilismo when I saw it! Congrats!!

Bummer it's not a perfect specimen like the others have been and hopefully the board takes oils well and darkens up a bit with time. I'm guessing the nut/fingerboard issue isn't a total showstopper? I couldn't see it in the pics.

All in all, this is the first case of someone actually experiencing some QC-related stuff with these that hasn't been a "I saw a pic on FB of cracked fingerboards" post, which I 100% believe was 1 guitar being posted multiple times at different areas.
Honestly, on a $500 guitar I wouldn't even think twice. On a $1000 guitar, with the context of previous Solars, it makes me think more than once. Ha. Definitely not major issues, just weird given the history of my experiences with the brand. Knowing what I know about QC, if I had to guess I'd say this one skipped that process in Spain somehow. Maybe it got pulled out of line, then moved, then put back in the post QC line? I dunno. Probably just an accident and not something to get up in arms over, flawed humans make flawed guitars, no matter what name is stickered onto the headstock. In the end, with new strings, fretboard conditioning and some tweaks, the only thing left to bug on is the fretboard miss - and it's not big, but just enough to notice if you look.

And, I totally agree with you on the "OMG SOLARS ALL CRACK IN HALF!!!!" nonsense. It's like there's this "I want to watch the world burn" crowd that just hates Ola's success and hide in the bushes waiting to spring out and scream their trash... And you see the same people doing it again and again...

Awesome Iron! Adding some spice to the collection.:grin
Thanks! Loved recording with it this morning.
Wow Love it Congrats Fe1 :chef
My next axe is a 2.6 or 2.6 + but its def one of those for sure
This one has the first Solar+ pickup I've tried. For a 7-string, it sounds much better than the regular Solar. Curious to try one in a 6er. Let me know if you do!
Love it, huge congrats!! Glad the "problems" seem minor. I think that's the best collection of Solars I've yet encountered! Impressive sir!
Thank you sir, can I have another? :rofl

Congrats! :banana

I wonder if with the growth of the brand Solar will experience a few hiccups. :idk When your numbers
are low you can check every little detail. It is when a business/brand grows that the challenges with
quality can really come into play.

Congrats! :banana

I wonder if with the growth of the brand Solar will experience a few hiccups. :idk When your numbers
are low you can check every little detail. It is when a business/brand grows that the challenges with
quality can really come into play.
Thanks!

After having it now for 24 hours, I love it. Like I mentioned above, I honestly think it somehow skipped the Spain QC process. But, nothing that an hour of time couldn't fix, except the fretboard imperfection. That could have been fixed with 5-10 minutes of sanding prior to painting to get them lined up better. But, sooner or later my thumb will wear it down.

Yeah that neon yellow color has narrowly avoided my shopping cart about 73 times :nailsThe grandpa Springsteen natural finish metal tele is in that same boat. It's mainly the inlays I don't dig.

I wish someone at solar would answer the emails asking what the differences between the different lines are. I LOVE World Music Instruments guitars and since rondo really isn’t having many agiles built lately, I really am looking at solar.

I wish someone at solar would answer the emails asking what the differences between the different lines are. I LOVE World Music Instruments guitars and since rondo really isn’t having many agiles built lately, I really am looking at solar.
Bummer they aren't replying to you - I've always gotten a pretty quick reply, taking into account their customer service folks are in Spain. But the lines are pretty easy to figure out if you dig into their site.

The 1 and 2 apply to all the Types.
1 series (A1.6 or A1.7) are the higher end often equipped with Floyd Rose or Evertune bridge, Fishman pups, locking tuners, etc.
2 series is usually a Hipshot style fixed bridge (though some come with the licensed lower level Floyd), Solar pickups and non-locking tuners.

Type A - Super Strat style with carved cutaways at neck, like the one in this thread. If memory serves, this is the "Signature" design Ola had with Washburn before starting Solar Guitars.

Type AB - similar to A, but with different neck/fretboard woods

Type AC - Custom shop Type A

Type E - Explorer style body

Type G - G for GG or "Grandpa Guitar", single cut Les Paul-ish body

Type S - Similar to the Type A, but without the body carves at the neck

Type T - Telecaster style body

Type V - Flying V style body

Type X - Extreme style body

Hope that helps!

Bummer they aren't replying to you - I've always gotten a pretty quick reply, taking into account their customer service folks are in Spain. But the lines are pretty easy to figure out if you dig into their site.

The 1 and 2 apply to all the Types.
1 series (A1.6 or A1.7) are the higher end often equipped with Floyd Rose or Evertune bridge, Fishman pups, locking tuners, etc.
2 series is usually a Hipshot style fixed bridge (though some come with the licensed lower level Floyd), Solar pickups and non-locking tuners.

Type A - Super Strat style with carved cutaways at neck, like the one in this thread. If memory serves, this is the "Signature" design Ola had with Washburn before starting Solar Guitars.

Type AB - similar to A, but with different neck/fretboard woods

Type AC - Custom shop Type A

Type E - Explorer style body

Type G - G for GG or "Grandpa Guitar", single cut Les Paul-ish body

Type S - Similar to the Type A, but without the body carves at the neck

Type T - Telecaster style body

Type V - Flying V style body

Type X - Extreme style body

Hope that helps!

Holy shit, I’ve never seen this broken down before. I gave up trying to figure out the numbers before I even tried learning, I just kept looking at the specs/pics to see the hardware/body shape. They’re giving Ibanez a run for their money with illogical model names. :rofl

Holy shit, I’ve never seen this broken down before. I gave up trying to figure out the numbers before I even tried learning, I just kept looking at the specs/pics to see the hardware/body shape. They’re giving Ibanez a run for their money with illogical model names. :rofl
I just always chuckle at the Type-G for "Grandpa Guitar" - I think Ola mentioned that on MM.org when they first debuted and I've been laughing about it ever since. :rofl

Well I'm an old fart by age only, Mentality wise my wife says I'm worse than a kid so yeah lol

IMG_1365.jpg

Godin Rear .jpg

Back