Ok I just bought a Mark V combo

And the saga continues…

I just brought it back to L&M here. They’re going to send it to head office/Traynor-Yorkville, as the local tech I referred to earlier has retired, and they quoted me about a month turnaround.

So that’s not great, but it’s actually quicker than the 3-4 months I experienced with the local guy in the past.

And… they’ve given me a brand new Mark V 35 combo to use in the meantime! So that makes it all good in my mind. Now I can just play this until the other one’s done, no rush.

Can’t wait to hear those sweet EL84s, eh @JiveTurkey! 😍

View attachment 30404
That's actually a killer loaner for the meantime. Even if there are el84s involved :hmm :ROFLMAO:

And the saga continues…

I just brought it back to L&M here. They’re going to send it to head office/Traynor-Yorkville, as the local tech I referred to earlier has retired, and they quoted me about a month turnaround.

So that’s not great, but it’s actually quicker than the 3-4 months I experienced with the local guy in the past.

And… they’ve given me a brand new Mark V 35 combo to use in the meantime! So that makes it all good in my mind. Now I can just play this until the other one’s done, no rush.

Can’t wait to hear those sweet EL84s, eh @JiveTurkey! 😍

View attachment 30404

Damn y’all really are polite up north there!! I feel like a store in the US would never offer a loaner in a million years :ROFLMAO:

Glad this is a happy resolution!!

I too have a history of being anti el84, but honestly a ton of guys around here use the lower watt Vs and they always sound amazing at shows. Looking forward to your thoughts on this, and then in comparison when you get the big boy back!

That's actually a killer loaner for the meantime. Even if there are el84s involved :hmm :ROFLMAO:

Damn y’all really are polite up north there!! I feel like a store in the US would never offer a loaner in a million years :ROFLMAO:

Glad this is a happy resolution!!

I too have a history of being anti el84, but honestly a ton of guys around here use the lower watt Vs and they always sound amazing at shows. Looking forward to your thoughts on this, and then in comparison when you get the big boy back!

Thanks! Yeah, I’m def happy with this arrangement!

I probably owe it to the young trainee guy nearby who suggested it. I wasn’t expecting anything and the older guy handling it didn’t seem like he would have.

But they went and got the manager to ok it, and he referred to me as being in a special category of customer, forget what, but I assume it’s because of the metric ton of cash I’ve spent there in my lifetime. :grin

I Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Okay, so I'm really enjoying the V35 combo!

Also wondering if it doesn't suit my needs a little better than the big daddy V90, to be honest... as a couch-noodler/occasional gigger, this 35 is pretty damn sweet (EL84s and all).

Yes, it sucks that the clean and crunch are on the same Ch 1, but I'm also getting great crunch sounds out of the IV mode on Ch 2, so if I really want pristine cleans and a crunch on two different channels, that would be an option. But truthfully, I only use a completely clean sound on 1.25 songs at our gigs, haha (the .25 being the intro to "She Sells Sanctuary" and the 1 being "Simple Man"), so it's not a big deal either way. And I could do what I've been doing with the Dyne, which is use a clean IV preamp from the Helix Floor (a workaround because the Helix's amp-switching causes a huge ground loop).

Another factor here, is the new 35 combo is currently on sale, which ends up being near exactly the price of the used 90. So it becomes used 90 vs new 35 for the same amount. Hmm...

And finally, I have my PRS Gold Top 594 sitting here that is proving tough to sell (the '73 LP Custom kicks its ass so bad, I've lost all interest in it), so I could bring it in as trade towards the new 35 combo + a 1x12 extension cab, and have money left over.

Anyway, some of the current thoughts I'm having. The 35 is definitely a sweet little amp!

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm really enjoying the V35 combo!

Also wondering if it doesn't suit my needs a little better than the big daddy V90, to be honest... as a couch-noodler/occasional gigger, this 35 is pretty damn sweet (EL84s and all).

Yes, it sucks that the clean and crunch are on the same Ch 1, but I'm also getting great crunch sounds out of the IV mode on Ch 2, so if I really want pristine cleans and a crunch on two different channels, that would be an option. But truthfully, I only use a completely clean sound on 1.25 songs at our gigs, haha (the .25 being the intro to "She Sells Sanctuary" and the 1 being "Simple Man"), so it's not a big deal either way. And I could do what I've been doing with the Dyne, which is use a clean IV preamp from the Helix Floor (a workaround because the Helix's amp-switching causes a huge ground loop).

Another factor here, is the new 35 combo is currently on sale, which ends up being near exactly the price of the used 90. So it becomes used 90 vs new 35 for the same amount. Hmm...

And finally, I have my PRS Gold Top 594 sitting here that is proving tough to sell (the '73 LP Custom kicks its ass so bad, I've lost all interest in it), so I could bring it in as trade towards the new 35 combo + a 1x12 extension cab, and have money left over.

Anyway, some of the current thoughts I'm having. The 35 is definitely a sweet little amp!
I think you would pay about the same for the 35? You might even pay more because you said you got a deal on the 90. I'd say if you paid for the 90 and they fix it you would be better off with it. The Master Vol on the 90 and switch to 10watt can get quiet and not be missing the 3 channels.

I think you would pay about the same for the 35? You might even pay more because you said you got a deal on the 90. I'd say if you paid for the 90 and they fix it you would be better off with it. The Master Vol on the 90 and switch to 10watt can get quiet and not be missing the 3 channels.

The 90 and 35 are almost the exact same price (90 is $100 Cdn more).

Personally I'd wait til you can check out the fully operational V:90 again before doing anything drastic ;)

But glad you are digging it!

Yes, that is good, sobering advice! Some of it is a sour taste from the fiasco yesterday, I'll admit, and the allure of brand new vs used w/unknown history, combined with that the 35 even fits and looks a little better in the room here, haha.

But I gotta say, Crunch at 10W with the 35 is an absolutely perfect at-home tone, and I daresay the 84s give it some of that midrange sweetness that is so good for classic rock, in a Dickie Betts/ Kossoff kind of way.

So if I sold my 2001 VH4, and bought a Mark V, would that be a huge travesty??

I dont think so necessarily, no VH4 experience but I got to track with a VH2. Sweet amp but I prefer Mark tone

theres other diezels that I think are more up to my speed than the VH stuff too though

I dont think so necessarily, no VH4 experience but I got to track with a VH2. Sweet amp but I prefer Mark tone

theres other diezels that I think are more up to my speed than the VH stuff too though
I've plugged into the Hagen, VH4, and D-Moll recently, and I found myself preferring the D-Moll. But it needs a boost or EQ in front of it to get those tight high-gain tones.

Back