Ok I just bought a Mark V combo

And I could do what I've been doing with the Dyne, which is use a clean IV preamp from the Helix Floor (a workaround because the Helix's amp-switching causes a huge ground loop).

Side tangent, but do you run a GEQ block with that model? I've vaguely started trying to throw together some "emergency" presets on the stomp if I ever had an amp failure and needed to switch over but haven't really spent much legitimate time yet

So if I sold my 2001 VH4, and bought a Mark V, would that be a huge travesty??
If you’re looking for recommendations, one of the few I’ll give is to never sell a piece of gear you love to pursue an unknown.

If the VH4 is special to you, def don’t do it. If you are meh about the VH4, I’m fairly certain your going to find some stuff in the Mark series lead channel that will curl your toes.

It’s truly a one of a kind tone, and the V and VII bring a lot more to the table than just the lead channel.

Side tangent, but do you run a GEQ block with that model? I've vaguely started trying to throw together some "emergency" presets on the stomp if I ever had an amp failure and needed to switch over but haven't really spent much legitimate time yet

No, just the Helix Mk IV clean channel preamp + a bit of 70s chorus and transistor tape delay, with the Dyne's power amp. It's actually a really nice clean sound, you'd never know it was half digital.

Also, why does Mesa make their footswitches so big? Holy cow. All I really want it for is to switch Ch1/Ch2 on this V35, I don't need to switch the EQ or Solo boost, and it takes up like two thirds of a Metro 20.

Also, why does Mesa make their footswitches so big? Holy cow. All I really want it for is to switch Ch1/Ch2 on this V35, I don't need to switch the EQ or Solo boost, and it takes up like two thirds of a Metro 20.

Yeah… not even mad mine was having issues :LOL:

52544246-0626-429B-8D8B-50FDBCD87E22.jpeg

This is kind of similar to my Mark V experience. I had the combo and liked it a lot when it worked. Unfortunately it would cut in and out when playing and was totally unpredictable as to when it would start acting up. Sometimes it would be fine for a few weeks and then it would go all wonky again. Took it to a couple techs but never did get it sorted out. Went to a Mark V 25 (they didn’t make the 35 yet) and that’s been it ever since. I think the el84s in the smaller Marks do make them sound a little different, but in a good way. They can get a little ratty and pissed off sounding with pushed, lower gain settings and also give the cleans a little vintage touch.

The full on 90 watt Mark is a beast, but I sometimes wonder if they didn’t try to cram too much into it with all the circuits, power scaling and variac switching.

It's a closed back with C90, this configuration is discontinued, it was originally made to be paired with Mark Vs. I think after the VII came out they dropped this config and released the same cab but with a V30 and called it a rectifier cab lol

https://www.mesaboogie.com/en-US/p/Amp/0.112WC.BB.CO/0-112WC-BB-CO
I’ll tell you what,
I’ve never jived with the C90 except
with 6V6’s, which are not a favored tube of mine.
There’s a great tone zone match up between the two staying clean & breaking up.
V-30’s are the best all arounders with the V.
For me, the best match I found with the V was a closed back Recto 1X12 w/V30.
A yummy buttery match.
Much like a welcoming & familiar clit’
I dig the MKIV mode the best.

Agggghh…

Euro 2016 No GIF by Sporza

It worked for about 10 seconds, then started making an increasingly loud hum, and then blew a fuse. :cry:
Totally the tubes.
Prolly got shooken up.
Grab the Electradiner fuse and faithfully set of power tubes.
After fire up, I’d check R&R the V1 & phase inverter preamp tubes.
Cross your T’s & dot your 👀’s.

:love Kind of defeats the whole "living room amp" justification, TS! :popcorn:hmm

Mind if I ask what the new justification is? Pure want to?? :idk

:beer

The box is a 19” 1x12 open-back cab. With the head, it’s basically the same size as the 35 combo, just taller. And looks a hell of a lot cooler, haha. Not to mention bye bye EL84s, hello big boy 6L6s and a hell of a lot more amp.

Idea being, I can just take the head on/off for practice, gigs, whatever.

But the big question is whether this can take down the mighty Electra Dyne, of course. Many have come before it, and failed.

Back