Ok I just bought a Mark V combo

Bit of a misnomer though, pulling the mid slider down doesn't mean no mids. It means no honk. Never go all the way down, but the Mark is an extremely mid-heavy amp, and pulling down the mids to make it a balanced sound is a must for heavier music. For reference, on my Rectos I usually run the mids at noon or 1 o clock, to get a similarly balanced sound with a Mark amp that mid slider is 3/4ths of the way between the mid line and the bottom line.

Touche'.

:beer

Not everyone who uses a Mrak V is exclusively into the chugs, the brootz, or the liquid legato leads, though.

:sofa

Shudder the thought, eh?? :rofl

Most of the metal dudes think there is some Grand Cosmic Rule that you need to V the fuck out of that
Graphic EQ in order to turn the amp On and take it off Standby. Why limit one's self when the amp is so
superbly diverse? All I was ever saying. :idk

Heck, you can even turn the GEQ off on Mark series amps.

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

#alwaystheoutlier :LOL:

Last edited:
The V has an infinite abundance of tones. Metal monster for sure but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. To date I still don’t think there’s a tube amp out there with has many tonal configurations and possibilities as the V :beer

(The store called it Taurus grey in the listing… music store dudes have been known to be wrong though? :grin)

Touche'.

:beer

Not everyone who uses a Mrak V is exclusively into the chugs, the brootz, or the liquid legato leads, though.

:sofa

Shudder the thought, eh?? :rofl

Most of the metal dudes think there is some Grand Cosmic Rule that you need to V the fuck out of that
Graphic EQ in order to turn the amp On and take it off Standby. Why limit one's self when the amp is so
superbly diverse? All I was ever saying. :idk

Heck, you can even turn the GEQ off on Mark series amps.

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

#alwaystheoutlier :LOL:

I guess I was trying to make it not an argument lol

(Everyone knows I’ll just be trying to make it sound as close to my Electra Dyne as possible…) :rofl

To me, the treble and presence controls are the most important for dialing in the ‘character’ of the amp. Keeping the presence low lets you get more of a classic rock tone. As the presence gets higher, the sound gets more saturated and modern sounding. Just using the treble and presence, I can go from modern metal to classic rock without changing anything else. Also, I know most people get Marks for the 2c and 4 modes, but I’ll use extreme 99% of the time.

Don’t overlook the EDGE move on Channel 2. If you use this without the Graphic EQ engaged and set the Gain at 3:00 it will do a fantastic Plexi tone.

I’ve got a 1987x and I compare it to this. The Mark V EDGE mode with no Graphic EQ is a fuller sounding Plexi. It’s pretty amazing really.

Just use the normal EQ knobs B, M, T but make sure to set the Gain at 3:00 and you won’t believe how good it sounds… If you are into that lower gain Plexi vibe.

The tone in this video is pretty horrible IMO. I believe it’s due to his microphone setup. The video shows just how well the Mark V EDGE mode can nail a Plexi vibe! He uses the Graphic EQ to demo tone shaping, but I wouldn’t recommend it for Plexi style.

Congrats on the Mark V. It’s a HELL of an amp. You can get it to do so much if you are patient. It’s so much fun to experiment with.

Don’t overlook the EDGE move on Channel 2. If you use this without the Graphic EQ engaged and set the Gain at 3:00 it will do a fantastic Plexi tone.

I’ve got a 1987x and I compare it to this. The Mark V EDGE mode with no Graphic EQ is a fuller sounding Plexi. It’s pretty amazing really.

Just use the normal EQ knobs B, M, T but make sure to set the Gain at 3:00 and you won’t believe how good it sounds… If you are into that lower gain Plexi vibe.

The tone in this video is pretty horrible IMO. I believe it’s due to his microphone setup. The video shows just how well the Mark V EDGE mode can nail a Plexi vibe! He uses the Graphic EQ to demo tone shaping, but I wouldn’t recommend it for Plexi style.

Congrats on the Mark V. It’s a HELL of an amp. You can get it to do so much if you are patient. It’s so much fun to experiment with.

Thanks, I’ll definitely try that.

Yes, I am really looking forward to experimenting with it!

Meh, I move my Recto 2x12 all the time for gigs, which is about the same weight, plus my 40lb+ Dyne head. I'm good for it.

Also, as mentioned, this wil primarily be for at home beside the couch, but also have all the power needed for gigs, if I want.

I started by looking at 20W Cali Tweed and Mark V 25 combos they had, but this was only $200 more, so it seemed like the obvious choice!

The master volume on the Mark V is really good, I bought my head and a 2x12 Recto cab when I still lived in an apartment. It will do really low volume when you need that, or wind it up and you can sterilize a water buffalo from 800 yards.

Back