NU METAL

This thread has me flashing back to my youth when we cut school a few days before graduation to catch Ozzfest 99.

- Static X
- Disturbed
- Godsmack (sucked)
- Incubus
- Slipknot
- Deftones
- SOAD
- Taproot
- Linkin Park
- Manson
- Slayer (sucked)
- Black Sabbath (reunion)

Most of those bands just had new albums drop the day before the show. We were spoiled and I’m not sure we knew it.

NGL, I largely skipped over this genre. The only band I put in some serious listening time that might fit this criteria would be 311. That was very early 90's. I guess Faith No More is another.
But most of the ones mentioned in OP I glazed over. :sofa

311 and RATM are Nu Metal???.... and yet I remember when those two
bands dropped their first songs/albums and there was little to nothing
"metal" about them that struck me. I was working in Music/Record Store
at the time so I was blessed to hear a lot of music before it hit the streets.
Hydroponic came on this cool coloured Vinyl we used to spin. :chef

Now White Zombie on the other hand. Definitely some Metal vibes. :rawk

I just don't get the long arm reach of "Nu Metal" where it can go 10 years
back into the past and pluck bands that had guitars in them and then call
them "Nu Metal." WTF? Must mean Nu Metal has touched everything and
has this magical ability to time travel and be more influential than any (sub)
genre has a right to be. :LOL:

I am, although based off anyone I’ve met in our military I probably wouldn’t assume that they’re an accurate cross section of our society 😂

There’s a certain kind of “college bro” associated with nu metal that we just can’t pull off. We have our own kind of garish lout that we excel at - Oasis are a fine example.

So Nu Metal was really just Bro Country waiting to happen???

:unsure:

Oh man! Lightbulb moment here, where the past and present merge
and everything makes perfect sense in the most tragic and unmistakable
of ways imaginable.

:rofl

Nu-metal is what convinced me that everything other than a PRS into a Dual Rectifier is incorrect. Same goes for Warwick bases.

Pretty sure the bands in the day let their 14-year-old cousins handle lyric writing, though. "I'm falling/bleeding/drowning - I'm in so much pain - More than I can explain - I'll never be the same - I'm breaking I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm breaking down I'm brea...."

(Insert gunshot sound)

More proof that Nu Metal is the Father of Bro Country.

Genes don't lie, they just express themselves.

Makes me think we're all already dead. Trapped in an illusory
Bardo. Regurgitating the past into the present over and over
again. Giving it a new name and form, and then convincing
ourselves it is different. :LOL:

My ultimate goal in life is to create something that's like kinda nu-metal (well really more alt-metal) crossed with prog, something like Helmet meets Porcupine Tree. Well...more like finish the album that's been in the works since "Weapons of Mass Destruction" was a thing.

Also I miss cargo khakis.

I'll buy it. :beer

311 and RATM are Nu Metal???.... and yet I remember when those two
bands dropped their first songs/albums and there was little to nothing
"metal" about them that struck me. I was working in Music/Record Store
at the time so I was blessed to hear a lot of music before it hit the streets.
Hydroponic came on this cool coloured Vinyl we used to spin. :chef

Now White Zombie on the other hand. Definitely some Metal vibes. :rawk

I just don't get the long arm reach of "Nu Metal" where it can go 10 years
back into the past and pluck bands that had guitars in them and then call
them "Nu Metal." WTF? Must mean Nu Metal has touched everything and
has this magical ability to time travel and be more influential than any (sub)
genre has a right to be. :LOL:
I liked White Zombie for a time, but his voice got on my nerves after a while lol. Same with Rage.
Bands like Ministry were cool, but their 90's stuff was more industrial. I hate labels lol.
Eclectic metal, hard rock.

311 had metal elements, you can't deny. Stoner rock, reggae, hip hop... they're too difficult to categorize.

I'd consider 311 to be proto-nu metal, along the lines of Faith No More. The elements were all there, without being it.

Regardless, Tim Mahoney is a gear head and a half. That dude has had more crazy boards made tour after tour than anyone else I know of.

iu

iu

If FNM and 311 are Proto Nu Metal, then don't we run (or fall) down the
slippery slope into saying bands like Living Colour and 24-7 Spyz also are?? :idk

Someone please draw a fucking line in the sand somewhere so I don't have to. :rofl

slippery slope into saying bands like Living Colour and 24-7 Spyz also are?? :idk

Someone please draw a fucking line in the sand somewhere so I don't have to. :rofl
If anything they are both fusion bands ...if you think of the traditional forms, that all fell apart after the 90s.

This was always my catch all ....just say they are fusion....you will never be wrong....they loved me at the library.

I have zero clue who 24-7 Spyz are and I wouldn't put Living Colour anywhere close to FNM or 311 :rofl

Back