NGD: Legator Ichabod Crane Not For Everybody Edition

Warmart

Shredder
Been gassing for a headless multi-scale 6-string, exhaustively searched and then I searched some more. Not quite ready for a Strandberg, the aesthetics have to grow on me a little first. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also looked at Mayones, Skervesen, Ronciswall and some others - but the features at the price point swayed me to take a chance on this Legator.

Multi-scale stainless frets, LED kill-switch - wenge/maple set neck, pale moon ebony board, etc. etc. I haven't had great experience with Fishman Modern's but will have an open mind as they may just work in this one. If not, I can swap easily enough.

Had heard almost universally bad things about Legator, but it seems the past 2-years they've cleaned up their act!? :unsure: This is their top 2023 model, other than a anniversary one that's a solid off-white and not multi-scale. I'm a sci-fi nerd and I really like the top - named "Galaxy", although obviously it's not for everyone!

This is MIK, for what that's worth - only stock remaining anywhere in the world was in Belgium - might've been one in the UK but was very happy with my communication with Omega Music, so I bought from them. Customs took its jolly time in Belgium but it's getting here today, which isn't too bad since it was initially shipped June 7th. I think it stopped off for a few Monk Tripel Ales or something, can't say I blame it.

Some dealer pics for now, hopefully in hand this afternoon?!

LegatorGhostFront.jpg
LegatorGhostRear.jpg
LegatorGhostFrontFull.jpg
LegatorGhostRearFull.jpg

Whew, I'm quite relieved and starting to think that maybe my taste isn't warped! :pickle :grin :banana

Very glad that y'all are liking it so well, 'cause I've been stoked and extremely impatient tracking delivery of this thing! :nails

Whew, I'm quite relieved and starting to think that maybe my taste isn't warped! :pickle :grin :banana

Very glad that y'all are liking it so well, 'cause I've been stoked and extremely impatient tracking delivery of this thing! :nails

Normally I’m not a fan of burl type wood tops, but I really like this one!

It’s got a cool swirling vortex sort of look to it

It's here, just after 11am eastern time! WOWWWW - it's even better looking in person!

Frets are clean and well dressed, got the truss wheel adjusted super easily which immediately gave me 3/64" low-E and a touch lower on the high-E side. No buzz! Would expect I could go a touch lower but may leave it alone.

Only played for a few minutes, and not very loud, but pickups sounded great so far!

Only "problem" is the killswitch, it's lit up all pretty blue but doesn't lock in when you push. Should be an easy fix, but I really just wanted the pretty light :grin effect

So far, blown away, this baby is legit!!

Last edited:
The fingerboard makes up for the lack of a headstock! That looks sick!

I’ve played a couple Legators, one was pretty rough but the other one showed they’re capable of putting out a good guitar. I know the Sevenstring crowd has a bunch of them floating around over there.

Got to play it a bit more. It desperately needs new strings, unsurprisingly! They are shot, surprised it sounds as good as it does, they are that bad.

Shocked but you can feel this baby resonate, strongly!

Here's a few pics, took a closeup of the fret ends but got some weird reflection at each making them look wonky.

Legator Ghost Top 25 PCT.jpg
legator-ghost-killswitch-25-pct-png.23992
Legator Ghost Neck End 25 PCT.jpg
Legator Ghost Body Binding 25 PCT.jpg

Attachments

• Legator Ghost Killswitch 25 PCT.png
    Legator Ghost Killswitch 25 PCT.png
    987.5 KB · Views: 98
Dayum Dave, thats stunning Congrats my friend I'm sure you will put it to good use
your Stable is supremely awesome, very envious if i do say so myself

:chef :beer :chef

You're right; It does look much better in person..., well you know, your pics.

Man that's really badass-cool. Really unique-looking axe!

What are the scales?

Wood sure can do some cool shit!

1718317986863.jpeg
Wonder what a top would look like cut from one of these.

Congrats! I think you take the award for most guitars bought during the life of this forum! :beer

Attachments

• 1718317892666.jpeg
    1718317892666.jpeg
    876.8 KB · Views: 7
Just played for 45 minutes, after changing strings - which was a bit interesting, going to take me another time or two to get that down well. Having the tuners in the right place and getting the strings hitting the saddle just beyond the balls wrap is sort of an art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forgot to mention it has luminlays, too. @TSJMajesty - it's 25.5" to 27" scale. Yeah, I've gone a bit overboard with guitars the last two years, lol, but now I'm at 14 - so 2 of them have to go!

And like some others mentioned, most buckeye burl tops are pretty nasty. This one is a bit 'out there', but I think in a cool way. Definitely needs light to really pop, it's pretty dark when playing - but the neck and fretboard pops out huge then! Really gained an appreciation for this unique pale moon ebony board.

I'd personally vouch for 2023+ MIK Legators, unless I got REALLY lucky! But again, have heard all good over the past 2 years. You have to go up another $200 for 2024 and even then the top isn't quite what I'd want, plus that new model has a trem. I wanted hardtail, I have trems comin' out my ass - not that there's anything wrong with that. :facepalm

So far the Fishman Moderns sounds really good - that may change over the next few weeks, lol, y'all know how that goes!

Thank you all for the congrats!!! :banana:grin:pickle

Wasn't sure how I'd like a headless, but it's a winner! Feels great to play, it's ash so not super light, might be a problem if it was too light, but ergonomics are stellar!

If you have any questions, shoot!

So, with multi-scale guitars, you use a std set of strings, and the longer scale just tightens up those lower strings, right?

As in, tightens the tension, as well as the feel?

Beautiful piece, mayng. Those killswitches are for those quick Buckethead style stutters. I wonder if they make latching versions.

Back