NGD: Legator Ichabod Crane Not For Everybody Edition

Gotta cosign more recent Legator guitars. I have a 2021 Ninja N6X, and it's one of the very, very few guitars I've just never been able to bring myself to offer up in a trade or part with. I've sent Kiesels, Ernie Ball Music Man and other US-made guitars packing since, but not this South Korean beauty.

Incredible buckeye burl top in the "Ocean" finish, and then I just swapped out the active Fishman Fluence Modern pickups with a burl-topped and color-matched custom set of Minuteman pickups from The Guitarmory. It's stupid versatile and plays just as good as it looks.

PXL_20220913_232501556.jpg

Y'all will surely think I'm nuts now, but I'm convinced, no matter what you say.:hmm

Didn't have a full set of 10-46 laying around yesterday, didn't expect the strings to be DOA - so I used a 9.5-46 Stringjoy set I've had for a couple of years. My gawd I had a helluva time chugging on them, figured something was weird with the bridge or "who knows". Also didn't think they sounded all that great, highs were weak. :unsure:

Just finished putting my usual EB Paradigm 10-46 (I use 9-42 on a lot of guitars, too) and waa-laa, chugging away, brightness is there is spades.

I guess I just simply don't gel with Stringjoy.:cuss Or maybe I've just so used to the tension of EB P's? But I play 9's and 10's and shitloads of different scale lengths, generally with only the most minor of adjustment periods.

I'm with you, I really dislike stringjoys

Gotta cosign more recent Legator guitars. I have a 2021 Ninja N6X, and it's one of the very, very few guitars I've just never been able to bring myself to offer up in a trade or part with. I've sent Kiesels, Ernie Ball Music Man and other US-made guitars packing since, but not this South Korean beauty.

Incredible buckeye burl top in the "Ocean" finish, and then I just swapped out the active Fishman Fluence Modern pickups with a burl-topped and color-matched custom set of Minuteman pickups from The Guitarmory. It's stupid versatile and plays just as good as it looks.

View attachment 24159
Ohhh, that's hot!! Very glad to hear you're still loving yours. I'm still having fun with the Fishman Moderns, but that's likely to change lol.

Ohhh, that's hot!! Very glad to hear you're still loving yours. I'm still having fun with the Fishman Moderns, but that's likely to change lol.

They are a good pickup, make no mistake. It's just that I wanted something a bit more customized to my tonal preferences and obviously my visual ones as well.

They are a good pickup, make no mistake. It's just that I wanted something a bit more customized to my tonal preferences and obviously my visual ones as well.
I say that from having Moderns in an RG, that I then swapped for Fishman DT's - and it's still pretty dead.

Love those covers you have! Have heard plenty about Guitarmory pickups but haven't ever played any.

I've had this in B Std for over a day now, with 10-46. The 5th, and especially the 6th, are a bit too loose. Plus I get 6th string buzz open, no wonder since it's so loose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's still more than playable and can't say I can hear any buzz playing, most of the time on the 6th is palm muted anywho.

Guess I'm either going to have to go up in the 48-52 range OR I could just go back to E Std and use the VC. There are occasionally some odd harmonics going on with the VC down so low on other guitars, so I guess I'll think about it a couple days.

For funsies, I swapped the 9v, putting an Energizer Max in and woahhh, seems like the dynamic range jumped a ton, so I guess the other battery was on the down slope to death. These pickups seem to really work well for me in this guitar! That may change, lol, but so far I'm blown tf away.

Yeah, I'd never try anything under a .052 tuned that low. For B or A I've gone as stout as
a +.060 before. But then you are talking about messing with your nuts, and that's an whole
other kind of fun time. :banana

Yeah, I'd never try anything under a .052 tuned that low. For B or A I've gone as stout as
a +.060 before. But then you are talking about messing with your nuts, and that's an whole
other kind of fun time. :banana
It surprised me though, as it's 27" on the 6th.

I've had this in B Std for over a day now, with 10-46. The 5th, and especially the 6th, are a bit too loose. Plus I get 6th string buzz open, no wonder since it's so loose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's still more than playable and can't say I can hear any buzz playing, most of the time on the 6th is palm muted anywho.

Guess I'm either going to have to go up in the 48-52 range OR I could just go back to E Std and use the VC. There are occasionally some odd harmonics going on with the VC down so low on other guitars, so I guess I'll think about it a couple days.
Mixed set... :sofa
Heavy bottoms. I told you! :cop:rofl

Yeah yeah! A 48 or 50 may be enough though. Was hoping the multi-scale would do B with 10's. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, it's playable but.......
Maybe try 12's? Sometimes I'll use them for C standard and love the results.

OMG no, lol. I'm definitely always shooting for the thinnest strings I can get by with.

I'm sure a 50 would be enough. Well, I think :unsure:, you know how that goes.
I'd suggest using a guitar that you like the feel of as an example. Say it's the Majesty with 9's.

Pull up the String tension calculator, and substitute string for string, but change the tuning and scale to see what gauge comes closest to being the same.

The scale on both guitars on the high e side is 25.5", with a 9, that's 14.4 lbs. Tuned down to B, you'd need a 12 to get the same tension.

On the other end, the low E on the Majesty, using a 42, would be 15.8 lbs. Change the scale to 27", tune to B, a 54 would give you 16 lbs. tension.

In a pack of 12's, they go from 12- 56, so that set would get you that tight low end, due to the multi-scale. I think that's what I'd try.

The heavy bottom in that set is a 60, which takes you way up to 19.8 lbs. That's pretty far, and not very balanced either. Almost 40% tighter than the high string. For drop tunings, maybe that would be a good choice. But with the multi-scale, the guitar is already giving your lower strings more tension. Seems excessive to me.

If instead, you want to use 11's, your top strings are gonna be a bit on the loose side in B std, (only 12 lbs.) but you can plug in the #'s and see how it shakes out.

Back