New NeuralDSP plugin teaser [Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ suite]

Just went through the manual, and somethinig immediately jumped at me. It's subtle, but see if you can spot any patterns here.

View attachment 4637
Archetype_Gojira_-_Time_Effects_-_image.png

Nolly_-_Time_Effects.png

Plini_-_Time_Effects.png

f-Post-Section.png

Tim-Henson---Delay.jpg

Cory-Wong---delay.png

jp-post-fx.png

Fortin---Time-Effects.png

z-Soldano---Time-Effects.jpg

I wonder how many times the exact same FX algorithms were repackaged across plugin suites.

I would imagine there is a great deal of repurposing/reskinning from one platform to the other. They haven’t displayed enough development capability to suggest they can actually create wholly unique offerings on multiple platforms with any regularity.

tbf I think the text mistake got fixed in the release version, not seeing that on my end

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 16.54.39.pngScreenshot 2023-03-01 at 16.54.44.png.

it sounds cool to me, maybe I was actually expecting a little more. Its a bit smoother sounding than my Mark III or some other emulations, to get them to match I have to boost a bit of top end from 8k. Could have been down to the load box I was using when I recorded the Mark III though, but I do like the twangy bite I can get from the amp. Interestingly enough, the Petrucci plugin could get that aspect a little easier. It does feel more instantly gratifying to me than the IK one, but I'm a little undecided if I buy now or wait for the inevitable 50% off sale.

Included IR's are really cool, and I'm pretty sure they've captured the same speakers in an OS, Traditional, and 2x12 cab. Not sure if they're ones Nolly did for the QC or new ones made by them in their own studio. Got a feeling they're Nolly's as I seem to recall him mentioning these specific years of Mesa cabs being among his favourites. The 2003 speakers sound closest to my favourite Mesa IR's.

This move definitely makes it look like that’s their business plan for monetizing. Makes me think they might actually be working hard on plug-in support in QC so they can tap into that.

It’s a smart business move. Basically a way to have QC users pay for additional content they want
I half saw that coming - whether I was happy about it or not. This is the reason I was lukewarm - at best - about all the calls for plugin support and an official "marketplace". To my ears, all of these features just boil down to "not free".

But... even I am surprised to see the MkIIc+, a pre-launch announcement amp, released as a plugin rather than/ before a QC model. Not cool.

This is an interesting amp to emulate. So much of the 2C+ is how the amp feels. That was really the added “+.” The 2C+ feels different than any other amp I have ever played.

Mesa Boogie could not replicate that with the Triaxis, Mark IV, or any other amp I have played from them.

Not sure how any plug in or sim could replicate that. I’d like to know the differences between this and the amp(s) in the Archetype Petrucci, as well

quick comparison with my Mark III and Petrucci. The new IIC+ seems to have a slightly more pronounced midrange and less top end (I had to use the built in graphic EQ to add a little 8k and 16k). Tough to say what I prefer, but it definitely sounds good. Nice to have the + and ++ options as well as all the push pulls.

quick comparison with my Mark III and Petrucci. The new IIC+ seems to have a slightly more pronounced midrange and less top end (I had to use the built in graphic EQ to add a little 8k and 16k). Tough to say what I prefer, but it definitely sounds good. Nice to have the + and ++ options as well as all the push pulls.

Nice (and quick!) work sir.

DLed the trial just to see and it def sounds good but I have zero need for this.

As far as workflow goes for me it’s

Turn on loadbox
Turn on amp
Plug in guitar
Play

I was kind of hoping it’d be fantastic enough that I sort of HAD to buy it but nah…the doubler was cool as fuck on most of those presets though, dig that lol

For fun and cause I hadn’t used it in a while I brought up the Nameless plug; to me that sounded better and was more fun to play, dunno why.

The pitch transpose works pretty well too. I was trying to play along with some Spiritbox songs where it sounds like they're using an 8 string guitar, at the very least I could pitch my down to baritone and it sounded pretty good and heavy. Rabea's preset for riffing sounded pretty good too.

If it's overlapping heavily with Petrucci I don't see much reason to pick it up, but I'm curious to get some takes on the IIC+ tone.

Back