New NeuralDSP plugin teaser [Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ suite]

I think it’s way bigger than we largely like to believe. I also think there’s a kind of ritual type way of dialing in real amps - you’re somewhat forced to do things in a particular order. Usually the master volume will start off really low and you gradually bring it up to where it feels good. On a plugin this might be something that gets tweaked later on. I think there’s also something in the editors like Fractal or Helix where every parameter essentially looks the same and there isn’t really a priority or hierarchy in what you control vs one that may use different colours/fonts/knob types and positioning to kind of lead you through how to dial it in. I think all the visual stuff in an amp is very important, as are the controls they give you to work with and their tapers+feel.

It feels like some kind of nu age hippy shit to be focussing on this stuff over just the sound but IMO we’re already at a point where everything already sounds authentic and how we use these tools is what we need to tackle. There’s definitely a kind of separation when you use a mouse to click things one at a time. You have a small window to think what you’re doing in a way that you don’t when grabbing a control and turning. It’s really apparent when using synths where you feel yourself thinking about what you’re doing more when using a mouse, rather than just turning quickly and seeing what happens with HW.

It feels like some kind of nu age hippy s**t to be focussing on this stuff over just the sound but IMO we’re already at a point where everything already sounds authentic and how we use these tools is what we need to tackle.

So much this. We've long crossed the threshold of digital sounding indistinguishable from the real thing, IMHO. You can get incredible tones using any product from the major players in the market today.

The main differentiator between them are features and, most importantly, workflow.

Last edited:
I have tried their new plug-in yesterday (yes yesterday was the “plug-in Sunday” here)
And I have to say that I was impressed .
It sounds good, it looks good . What can I say ? For 99e 🤷.
I don’t own any neural plug-ins or QC
I have already tried the others ones but wasn’t that impressed . The thing is that I like this amp and I’m a little bit a boogie fanboy since forever . Maybe all the aesthetics put some powder in my eyes . Don’t know, I enjoyed it. It sounded so quickly good that for me it is a win, considering the time I spent with the other products to be satisfied.
And .. no, I won’t buy it cause I don’t need it, as I own a JP2c and that the axe fx cover my needs , but I understand why their plug-ins are popular around me.

Last edited:
Talking about saturation character, not frequency response;

A - Sounds the best to me, most natural saturation, real amp?
B - Shrill / Hissy like broken glass, but still passes as tube-like.
C - Spitty with unnatural saturation, almost painful to listen to, digital artifacts?
D - My second favorite, with more tweaking it can also pass as a real tube amp to my ear.

I accept the consequence of being totally wrong and mercilessly ridiculed forever. :nails

RESULTS:
A=Helix MK IV
B=Amplitube 5 MKIII
C=Neural DSP IIC+
D=Real Amp

I consider this as a big win for me. :clint

I totally agree about tactility and sound.
There is a primal satisfaction when moving something with your hands/feet and hearing the effect.
Playing an instument, tweaking an amp, stomping on a pedal, rocking a wah.
Totally agree.

Recently I've had a little makeshift pedalboard consisting of a Keeley Compressor Mini -> DIY Browne Protein -> Strymon Iridium on my desk and I've been using that over my Axe-Fx 3, mainly because the Strymon is "the new toy" and I find that with this sort of limited, simple setup with tactile controls I've been tweaking less, playing more.

That's why I'm a big advocate for better control surface support for all modelers. Even with plugins there isn't a single great solution as often plugins have very varying capabilities so you end up using a MIDI controller which then runs out of mappable controls pretty quick.

Something like the MPMidi is a novel solution - basically a touchscreen + tons of encoders lining it that works as if it was any external monitor but then also as a plugin capable of loading other plugins that will show them on the MPMidi screen with the controls and values surrounding it.

Overall the lack of tactile control is probably my biggest beef with digital tools.

I went looking for a way to send him a message to invite him here but I think he hadn't used Twitter in a while and I couldn't find a way outside of tagging him in one of his own videos. Edit- f*ck it, did it anyway.

Last edited:
picked this up on sale (40% off atm if you own at least one Neural product).

Quite liked it before, but just noticed this behaviour which seems a bit...... odd?

Thats either a bug, or the amp has been captured in a state of "needing a service", or I'm doing something daft and havent realised yet (very possible).

How many times do I have to tell you...

rock n roll no GIF by Zakk Wylde

EDIT:
Lovely sag emulation though, METICULOUSLY accurate.

Last edited:
How many times do I have to tell you...

rock n roll no GIF by Zakk Wylde

EDIT:
Lovely sag emulation though, METICULOUSLY accurate.
maybe it’s the same tech who did the Helix Vitriol Lead channel. Wonderful thing modelling amps that almost no one has access to, you have a free reign to make it sound however you like and no one is any wiser.

Back