New Line 6 product speculation thread [disclosure: HX One]

As soon as you add amps and cabs to a box, you need to support IR loading and probably a reverb. This necessitates adding a headphone amp, tonestack pots (not encoders), an FX loop that doesn't undermine your stereo out, additional UI/UX hardware accommodation (bigger screen, an extra switch, extra buttons to select blocks, etc.), more memory, larger storage, and proper editor development, and it also likely means a higher price point.
*Smiles in Universal Audio

The title should be, “Why Are SO MANY Gear Forum Complainers TRIGGERED By This?”

I’m willing to bet there are a lot more professionals using this on their board than those complaining on gear forums.
To me it's what could have been. But I'm not a professional and the company knows their demographic more than I'd do.

If this has 2 switchable effects I personally would be all for it

The title should be, “Why Are SO MANY Gear Forum Complainers TRIGGERED By This?”

I’m willing to bet there are a lot more professionals using this on their board than those complaining on gear forums.
Yep. This was my vid. This fucking thing will sell like hotcakes to people who aren’t morons.

I was floored when I saw one of the early release demo guys say, emphatically that “if you’re a Helix user, this will NEVER be something you’d be interested in or use”

What a dumb fucking statement. Like all full helix users don’t also have pedalboards. I think the pedal is a pretty smart idea. I’ll get two and make my fly-rig even less congested.

I was floored when I saw one of the early release demo guys say, emphatically that “if you’re a Helix user, this will NEVER be something you’d be interested in or use”

What a dumb fucking statement. Like all full helix users don’t also have pedalboards. I think the pedal is a pretty smart idea. I’ll get two and make my fly-rig even less congested.
And, like we aren't gear hogs. :rofl I have an HX Rack, Stomp (my second one), wish I hadn't sold my Floor Pod, loved my HD500x and will definitely grab one of these when the intersection of play money and for sale collide.

Personally I'd rather see more development on the software side (better high gain amp options, a mimic of the Digitech Drop, custom cab creation [imagine altering cab size, wood, wall thickness, speaker choices, etc.] etc.) but if L6 never make another update/improvement I'll still die happy with the place they have in my gear toolbox.

There is actually an uncovered market here: the modern rock/metal player.

Strymon Iridium, Walrus ACS1, and all the UA pedals are all vintage amp stuff. Atomic Amplifirebox is probably the closest to the above. While you can turn the Strymon into a fire-breathing beast with the right drive pedal (Strymon Riverside works great!) and 4x12 V30 IRs, it's not quite the same as a something that directly models modern amps.

Not saying Line6 should swoop into that, just saying it exists.

Double Helix with capture tech confirmed!:satan
I'd be willing to bet that there is a good reason those pedals don't exist for that market.

I don't see many modern rock/metal players wanting to be pedalboard guys. They (GENERALLY SPEAKING) seem to base their rigs around "the amp" with the tone, instead of having a pedalboard with multiple drives, or having the one pedal that is their tone, and wanting to run it into a 1x12 Fender amp, or "whatever backline they run into" deal.

Yep. This was my vid. This fucking thing will sell like hotcakes to people who aren’t morons.

My vote is we!

I'm currently on the fence. It would be great to have a backup for the Drop that does other stuff as well. I'm waiting to see what 3.7 brings and if one of the major retailers drops a nice Holiday coupon.

I currently have a Helix floor since 2015, in that time I have flipped at least two of almost every 'modeling' device in the top tier and yet still have one of everything. It's embarrassing really.
That said, almost every time I'm using something other than the Helix or Native I find myself mentally reaching for some effect Helix does that none of the others do but he Floor isn't exactly handy to grab the way a pedal is and isn't always in the same location I am.
So I will buy one of the HX One's for sure. It would be stupid not to.
For the price, a 'Heliosphere pedal' would be reasonably competitive with other delay pedals on the market, so why not a Heliosphere pedal that can also do any other Helix effect as well?

Last edited:
Do this first!

Updating HX One
  1. Download and install HX One Librarian:
  2. Connect HX One to your computer via USB, launch HX One Librarian, and make sure you're signed in.
  3. IMPORTANT! If you've created any user model defaults you want to keep, you MUST back everything up before updating to 3.70! At the bottom of the window, click BACKUP. Choose the name and location of your backup, and click Save.
  4. Once you've successfully backed everything up, click the Update (cloud) icon in the upper right corner. Follow the instructions to update HX One's firmware. NOTE: While updating, HX One's screen and LEDs will go dark. This is normal.
  5. Power down HX One and while pressing and holding both the EFFECTS knob and the HOME button, power HX One back on. The screen will briefly read "Resetting Defaults..."
  6. OPTIONAL: If you wish to restore from a backup file, click RESTORE in the lower right corner of HX One Librarian, navigate to your saved backup, and click Open.

One of my luddite friends, who eschews modelling entirely, played around with my HX One yesterday, and I think he's sold on getting one.

He's not anti-digital as he has digital effects on his board, but he is vehemently anti-multiFX, so the fact that this is just a single effect at a time really appeals to him - he was also able to navigate the UI at ease, although we didn't go into the Flex functionality.

Line 6 and @Digital Igloo know their market and they know who their product are targeting!

Do this first!

Updating HX One
  1. Download and install HX One Librarian:
  2. Connect HX One to your computer via USB, launch HX One Librarian, and make sure you're signed in.
  3. IMPORTANT! If you've created any user model defaults you want to keep, you MUST back everything up before updating to 3.70! At the bottom of the window, click BACKUP. Choose the name and location of your backup, and click Save.
  4. Once you've successfully backed everything up, click the Update (cloud) icon in the upper right corner. Follow the instructions to update HX One's firmware. NOTE: While updating, HX One's screen and LEDs will go dark. This is normal.
  5. Power down HX One and while pressing and holding both the EFFECTS knob and the HOME button, power HX One back on. The screen will briefly read "Resetting Defaults..."
  6. OPTIONAL: If you wish to restore from a backup file, click RESTORE in the lower right corner of HX One Librarian, navigate to your saved backup, and click Open.

Sweet, thank you!!

One of my luddite friends, who eschews modelling entirely, played around with my HX One yesterday, and I think he's sold on getting one.

He's not anti-digital as he has digital effects on his board, but he is vehemently anti-multiFX, so the fact that this is just a single effect at a time really appeals to him - he was also able to navigate the UI at ease, although we didn't go into the Flex functionality.

Line 6 and @Digital Igloo know their market and they know who their product are targeting!

Yep this is me basically :D

@Digital Igloo - When using 4CM do certain FX automatically default to up front/in the loop? (like delays might dfault to being in the loop in 4CM where an OD would default to the front) or do they all default in the same position?

@Digital Igloo - When using 4CM do certain FX automatically default to up front/in the loop? (like delays might dfault to being in the loop in 4CM where an OD would default to the front) or do they all default in the same position?
Not automatically, as we'd get grief for our default positions anyway. (Should mods be pre or post?) You'll need to set the position per-preset, manually.

Back