New 25w Badlander with el84s!

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
spongebob.jpg

I bought the Mini Rectifier when it came out. Oddly only way I could enjoy it was with the volume super low. Somehow it had more lows in relation to the other frequencies this way. Turn it up just a little and it was honky.

I know it all depends on the rest of the circuit but the issue is these lunch box amps tend to have tiny output transformers which from my experience can't bring the low and low mids I like.

I bought the Mini Rectifier when it came out. Oddly only way I could enjoy it was with the volume super low. Somehow it had more lows in relation to the other frequencies this way. Turn it up just a little and it was honky.

I know it all depends on the rest of the circuit but the issue is these lunch box amps tend to have tiny output transformers which from my experience can't bring the low and low mids I like.
I actually am super particular (shocker!) about the BL at low volumes. I don't like it through my V30s at lower volumes at all. I think one of the el84 heads would amplify that tenfold. I really just like the form factor
:verynice

Not an absolute but most times el84 amps don't sound as good as we'd like.

This one sounds great imo. Took me forever to find this again so if it's not the el84 version you should be able to find it from this clip or pm the dude.

Edit, it's the second video which I actually like better.

Not really my style of music but sounds great

I actually am super particular (shocker!) about the BL at low volumes. I don't like it through my V30s at lower volumes at all. I think one of the el84 heads would amplify that tenfold. I really just like the form factor

Too many mids?

That’s the issue I have with the Retro 30’s I have in one cab….actually, in both my cabs. Cranked up it works out ok because the low end fills in, but I turn the mids down on both my power amps to counteract it when playing in my living room.

Re: the form factor... a while back I was geeking out on the little lunchbox amps like the Tiny Terror, etc. After buying 3 different little amps, I realized I wasn’t playing them so I finally convinced myself to move them on….

Too many mids?

That’s the issue I have with the Retro 30’s I have in one cab….actually, in both my cabs. Cranked up it works out ok because the low end fills in, but I turn the mids down on both my power amps to counteract it when playing in my living room.
Very scratchy and grainy sounding. I need to break them in a bit so there's that. I don't play this cab near as loud. The el84s and associated tonal traits would be a nightmare combination with this cab I am thinking :oops:
Re: the form factor... a while back I was geeking out on the little lunchbox amps like the Tiny Terror, etc. After buying 3 different little amps, I realized I wasn’t playing them so I finally convinced myself to move them on….
The EVH 50 watter and the JP2C always gives me hope, though :love

Wow, I'm definitely interested in this one! I love that they didn't remove the cabclone to hit a lower price point.

With "lunchbox" sized versions of big amps it probably all comes down to how the amp is designed/built.

Cathode biased amps based on EL84s (like Vox) are my all-time favorite amps. I love EL84s.

But when it comes to small versions of big amps where they use EL84s to make it smaller and lower wattage, I feel like it works when you're playing quiet where the power amp tubes aren't really working too hard, but the louder you get the more it starts sounding different than you expect.

Unless there is something else going on in the design of the amp to counter-act that. Bigger transformers or something like that? Mesa seems to do a decent job at this, so there could be hope for the BL

FWIW I hate the sound of V30s at lower volumes with any amp

Oddly enough the Mini is the only Mesa amp I’ve ever really considered buying. The thing is a little flamethrower. Something about it sat better with me than the bigger amps.

I doubt the average home hack buying them (thinking they are quiet, when they aren’t even remotely quiet) is cranking them to begin with.

Oddly enough the Mini is the only Mesa amp I’ve ever really considered buying. The thing is a little flamethrower. Something about it sat better with me than the bigger amps.

I doubt the average home hack buying them (thinking they are quiet, when they aren’t even remotely quiet) is cranking them to begin with.
It's possible they changed things up on them over the years. This was one of the very first. I was coming from Dual Recs at the time.

I see the Mini Rectifier… but can’t find a Mini Badlander. Can someone link me to it?

Back