Neural DSP Nano Cortex

Men At Work GIF by Identity

Everything NDSP does points to some sort of capture stitching. Whether they pair that with some other amp modelling for some portion of the final result I don’t know…. But it’s either all capture based or majority capture based, it’s just what’s in line with what they talk about all the time

In comparison to the uafx lion where I’ve watched a bunch of random videos. Multiple times they’ve talked about modelling components, switching things out… the amp they modelled had a bad component which they accurately modelled so they fixed the amp and also fixed the model… that’s the kind of talk where it’s a no brainer it’s component based. I mean they could have lied in a bunch of videos but seems more likely that it’s just what they used.
I don’t think we will really ever know the answer to this unless some of the former devs were to speak up

Suffice to say , it it sounds good and is fun to play through , does it really matter how the sausage gets made

Yeah, are we rally supposed to believe that Doug or the other developers are cracking open an amp chassis, probing, comparing to schematics, and modeling?

Or is it more likely that they’re mounting TINA to the front panel of an amp and clicking “start?”

Using TINA would arguably take longer to “model” because of how many combinations of knob settings and subsequent captures there are. That’s only speculation when comparing to how quickly someone like Cliff Chase can model an amplifier. But perhaps that’s the reason why it takes so long for NDSP to bring new “models” to their platform.
What's so hard to believe about devs measuring & modeling amps?

The explicit claim with robot modeling automation has been that it takes HOURS INSTEAD OF WEEKS to model amps.
You simultaneously think they're lying about how long it takes, but it also works just as advertised, click-done? :wat
Everything NDSP does points to some sort of capture stitching. Whether they pair that with some other amp modelling for some portion of the final result I don’t know…. But it’s either all capture based or majority capture based, it’s just what’s in line with what they talk about all the time

In comparison to the uafx lion where I’ve watched a bunch of random videos. Multiple times they’ve talked about modelling components, switching things out… the amp they modelled had a bad component which they accurately modelled so they fixed the amp and also fixed the model… that’s the kind of talk where it’s a no brainer it’s component based. I mean they could have lied in a bunch of videos but seems more likely that it’s just what they used.
I JUST POSTED LINKS OF DC TALKING FOR TWO YEARS ABOUT HOW THEY DO COMPONENT MODELING.

Here's another one:
BenIfin: "is it component modeling?"
DC: "listed 50+ amps and 70+ effects are full circuit models"

Maybe they do more "capture stitching" as of recent. It seems in line with how NDSP does things, they talk first and do later. They've been talking about it for years but with the introduction of Tina, hey, maybe they're actually doing it now. But that's not the way they've described themselves doing things in the past.

To pretend like they haven't talked about doing component modeling for years... why? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, what I actually meant is condensed in this little part of the pic above:

View attachment 31065

This picture is really saying *much* more than 1000 words.
Well to be fair the LED indicate levels of different functions. But it is odd they bothered with the physical line at all.

The LED indicator ring was always something I thought was missing on things like the Boss Katana.

I actually think it a cool product
If you are a capture guy or want your own amp in a box plus a couple of decent fx fir $550 it not bad at all
Right - it's the price and the amp (captures*) & IRs that was appealing to me. I'm admittedly not much of an FX guy so what's on their is fine for my needs. It will be interesting to see what happens with firmware updates.

* - always thought captures were kind of dumb, but good ones are great and if it keeps size and processing down, it's all good. Most of Neural's in-house captures are pretty good. It's the "community" ones that are hit or miss. But it will be fun to experiment.

Well to be fair the LED indicate levels of different functions. But it is odd they bothered with the physical line at all.

Whatever the LED indicates, the main offender is the analog 270° pot. Which has lost all of its right to exist with an LED readout ring present. Slap endless encoders in and everything is golden. Use standard pots to prove you haven't even sucessfully absolved the "UI design 101" class. And yes, unfortunately I'm serious.

Whatever the LED indicates, the main offender is the analog 270° pot. Which has lost all of its right to exist with an LED readout ring present. Slap endless encoders in and everything is golden. Use standard pots to prove you haven't even sucessfully absolved the "UI design 101" class. And yes, unfortunately I'm serious.
Kemper did the same on the Player.
Offcourse endless is better from UI perspective…but I assume both ndsp and Kemper are aware of that..and that there is something else at play here…maybe those are a lot more expensive and would jack the price to far up?

I've got mine up and running. Coupled with an ms-3, and with a Celestion midnight 60 speaker (50W solid state Fender Champion 50XL).

At home, it sounds absolutely comparable to my amp (which is incredible, as they have different speakers).

But the real test will be my first gig with it, next Friday.

Well, what I actually meant is condensed in this little part of the pic above:

View attachment 31065

This picture is really saying *much* more than 1000 words.
Yes, good point. But for me it's more generally a matter of, "It's so compact and it looks so elegant... but how the hell am I going to remember what any of this means??"

1729108946709.png

Having said as much... I still think it's a cool device for those who want to set and forget with a handful of good captures. Or those who want to make captures on the go.

Capturing is so easy that makes me don't want to touch NAM ever again. It's almost impossible to do a bad capture in terms of gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf
Back