Neural DSP - Cortex Control beta, CorOS 2.2 released

What's the half-moon with horizontal lines represent, and what does it mean when there's a small one of those on the lower left corner of a block?

They released it in early beta state with a lot of bugs?
But why?

As you explore the software, we want to ensure that you have a clear understanding of the nature and purpose of an open beta.
An open beta is a crucial step in refining and enhancing our software. During this phase, you will encounter bugs, issues, or unexpected behavior. We want to emphasize that this is entirely normal and expected. Your feedback and reports are invaluable in helping us identify and address these challenges to make Cortex Control even better.

Also to further drive home the difference between betas and releases, often betas turn into releases when enough bugs are squashed that the remaining ones affect a small number of people and are rare encounters or trivial ones.

For example the just released MacOS 14 Sonoma has the same build number as the last public beta. Apple are releasing a 14.1 version soon that fixes bugs and that's already in public beta version 2. 3-6 months from now I might consider upgrading to it.

Yeah, don't read anything nefarious about NDSP releasing the editor as an open beta. This is an extremely common practice in the IT world.

Ultimately, it's a win-win for all involved. Users quench their thirst for new updates/features, and manufacturers get (valuable) real world feedback on bugs.

Last edited:
Apple does it with all of their operating systems on all of their platforms.
Only after they had at least one working version up and running. Although I'm happy the QC guys got something, but a beta release is still like an insult. QC - "We have been promising/working on this for 4 years so here is all we have for you, enjoy it, and stop complaining please..."

BTW, Google does it with android as well. We always get beta releases for Pixel too. I use to load them to check them out, but usually it's a waste of time unless it is a major update with lots of new features which is rarer these days.

Back