NDSP Quad Cortex

- "Bet it was the power supply. Been telling you guys for years that thing would burn someone's house down."
"No, I bet it was that awful touchscreen. I've heard that sometimes - like when you've been eating fried chicken all day long - you have touch those damn things twice!"

EDIT: "And if you do, they break every time!"

Last edited:
I just encountered my first ever failure with my QC. Screen suddenly displayed a "Quad Cortex encountered an error - Will reboot in 4-5 seconds" message. Which it did. I'm hoping this is specific to one of the blocks I'm using (lots of weird dirt pedal captures in series), and not the start of a new trend. :O

EDIT: OK, the computer it's connected to is acting pretty wack as well. Maybe there's a... um... connection.

Are you on 3.0? Were you connected to your computer or just QC by itself?

So if we, play this game...

Cliff from FAS have said that the `model is sounding "the same" as the amp he made a model of.. 100 times` ( I`ve been a Fractal owner for over 10 years) . But he is still too this day tweaking the models all the time.
Shutting down folks that say, hmm is this model sounding ok... He then say , I`ve taken the real amp out and tested it, and it is sounding just like the model.
Nothing is wrong with the models, then 2 months later ..I`ve `remastered this amp, and this amp.. It now sounds more RAW, Punch, Raspy, POP, like Velcro, Sweet, Polished, Nasty, any of these ringing a bell :sofa

120% more real..anyone, 140 % more real, or was it just 89% real the first time hahaha.

He makes super real and cool sounding models, but he also say the the model he have worked on is, just like the real amp, all the time.

We all would like to have as real a model of an amp as we can get. It`s ok to make things better as time goes by.

Sorry, I have to defend Cliff a bit here from my personal experience.

Most of the times I’ve said “this model isn’t sounding right” the response I’ve received from him was “you’re right, there was a mistake in that model. I’ve got a fix in the next update.”

One time when one of my favorite models was sounding broken he sent me a personal message with values I could enter in myself to patch it until he could get the fix released.

Are you on 3.0? Were you connected to your computer or just QC by itself?
Yes to 3.0. And yes to connected to computer (per the text you quoted LOL.) I'm fairly confident my computer (an old POS) zigged and the USB audio driver or MIDI clock zagged - even though the computer was just idling. Either that or all the weird fuzz captures I had loaded up threw an overflow error or something.

Yes to 3.0. And yes to connected to computer (per the text you quoted LOL.) I'm fairly confident my computer (an old POS) zigged and the USB audio driver or MIDI clock zagged - even though the computer was just idling. Either that or all the weird fuzz captures I had loaded up threw an overflow error or something.

That's good info, I would guess it could be related to the computer as well. I know when I had the Kemper it would lock up fairly regularly and that was almost always related to being hooked up to the computer. QC should be way more stable and I haven't seen that particular issue reported before but very curious if you see that again!

That's good info, I would guess it could be related to the computer as well. I know when I had the Kemper it would lock up fairly regularly and that was almost always related to being hooked up to the computer. QC should be way more stable and I haven't seen that particular issue reported before but very curious if you see that again!
Yeah, one data point is not particularly helpful, but I'll keep you all posted! :)

I know when I had the Kemper it would lock up fairly regularly and that was almost always related to being hooked up to the computer.

I can clearly remember you and I chatting this very thing up years back. Was so frustrating!

Last edited:
I can clearly remember you and I chatting this very thing up years back. Was so frustration!

Totally!

I really do like Kemper quite a bit and I admire all the improvements they've made for the existing hardware. I mean adding USB audio interface a full decade after the unit was launched is unbelievable. But so much of it is really buggy and I can't help but think the hardware limitations are a big part. Speed of the device is an issue when it's hooked up to a computer, the computer editor makes it unstable, I had it lock up multiple times either trying to transfer rigs or using USB audio, it only handles a physical ethernet plug to do wireless editing, but the remote uses the same plug, etc.

Setting aside all that, for performance use, the Kemper is fantastic. It does gapless switching, there's a decent selection of effects that range from meh to really good, the sound and feel are super close to a tube amp, it's really flexible in a lot of ways. It's the setup and editing that's a pain in the butt IMO.

They aren't alone either, just look at the software disaster that is ToneX. Arguably as good or better sound and feel and price/size are substantially smaller than Kemper, but horrendous to use.

Maybe that's why I cut NDSP more slack than others. Not just the user interface being a hell of a lot better, but the computer editor, cloud app, being able to connect to wifi for updates/backups/downloads, all of that works really well with minimal issues at least for the year or so I've owned it.

Sorry, I have to defend Cliff a bit here from my personal experience.

Most of the times I’ve said “this model isn’t sounding right” the response I’ve received from him was “you’re right, there was a mistake in that model. I’ve got a fix in the next update.”

One time when one of my favorite models was sounding broken he sent me a personal message with values I could enter in myself to patch it until he could get the fix released.
That is super cool!
I agree. Seen it happen from time to time

I remember how people bashed the Kemper for how long it took for it to get an editor.

I remember how Fractal used to get flamed for tones changing with every update.

I remember how the Boss GT-10 was slammed for its cocked way sound.

And now, I will remember how the QC got roasted for bad marketing and rushing an unfinished product to market.

When I'm an old geeze in the not so distant future, I sure will have fun memories and a tonne of useless information spinning around my head.

Back