NAD: A Suhr Thing

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
I bailed on my Synergy + Fractal idea and picked up this used PT15 IR for a good price. Just out the box and looks clean. I can't really fire it up till later though. Will report back on it then.

:headbang

rs=w:1440,h:1440

I bailed on my Synergy + Fractal idea and picked up this used PT15 IR for a good price. Just out the box and looks clean. I can't really fire it up till later though. Will report back on it then.

:headbang

rs=w:1440,h:1440
That's the better device, 100%. My tube curiosity just doesn't get quite intense enough for me to swallow the price tag, even used.

Thanks gents. I'll still plan to run it into my FM9 as an interface and some fx. Maybe 4CM even.

Ok, I could only get about a hour in tonight on the PT-15 IR. Lots of family stuff going on this weekend. But a hour is enough for me to say it's a keeper. I ran it into my FM9 and studio monitors as I would for recording. I played my Suhr Modern Satin guitar. First impressions; Overall has a very nice tight sound without being boxy. The 6V6 tubes offer their classic compression qualities and are tuned well with all 3 channels. The amp has good balance between controlled and liveliness. Play it in the pocket and it will stay tight and even. Push the playing dynamics and it will reward you with a roar. Clean channel has the spank I was hoping for. The 2 dirt channels have that classic Brit vintage vibe with even more gain on tap. I love the reactive load / IR seamless integration. The whole amp package just works perfectly with very little fuss. Plus, it's whisper quiet at idle. Not a buzz or hiss or hum or anything.

I'm looking forward to trying it out with other guitars and in 4CM configuration. I may also profile it in my Kemper just for fun.

Some more playing time this early morning with my Tele (John Page Classic AJ). Cleans have nice bounce and chime. Just what I was hoping for. Dirt has tons of fire and headroom. Only critique I can find is the bass can get a bit out of control and flubby if pushed by playing too hard. Not unexpected with 6V6 tubes. It's easy to back off with the right settings of channel level and master volume. The per channel IR saving and switching when the channel is selected is brilliant.

Played again through my FM9 with just a tad of room emulation and with my Neumann NDH-30 headphones. Might have the best silent practice tones I've ever heard. You know I was having fun 'cause I broke a string. I haven't done that in over a year lol.

Suhr Reminds me of Stihl chainsaws..

“You ‘stihl’ need a saw?”

“You suhr’ that’s a geetar??”

Word.

I look at this in music like taking a stock
cowboy A chord and applying a 7th or 9th to the A,
-followed by a sprinkle of Andy Summers string skip rhythm pickage’ back at’cha’ in the cowboy A.
( I have a condition, I’m always seeking that edge of improvisation, whether it’s dividing & potting up silver saw palmetto’s palms,
skateboarding & shredding a double set with my son & his squad,
cooking my woman some loving food,
repairing my daughter’s car with the tools on hand..
the beat starts….-better figure it out!
It won’t get done by looking at it!!
So I’m always on that hunt for Red October
for the moment to cascade up & under)…

“Mining the seam”.

I look at creating music as a form of magic.
I have no idea why I just told you & the internet all that.

Last edited:
Did you try it without the fm9? Or maybe through a cab?

Suhr Reminds me of Stihl chainsaws..

“You ‘stihl’ need a saw?”

“You suhr’ that’s a geetar??”

Word.

I look at this in music like taking a stock
cowboy A chord and applying a 7th or 9th to the A,
-followed by a sprinkle of Andy Summers string skip rhythm pickage’ back at’cha’ in the cowboy A.
( I have a condition, I’m always seeking that edge of improvisation, whether it’s dividing & potting up silver saw palmetto’s palms,
skateboarding & shredding a double set with my son & his squad,
cooking my woman some loving food,
repairing my daughter’s car with the tools on hand..
the beat starts….-better figure it out!
It won’t get done by looking at it!!
So I’m always on that hunt for Red October
for the moment to cascade up & under)…

“Mining the seam”.

I look at creating music as a form of magic.
I have no idea why I just told you & the internet all that.
I hope you write lyrics dude!!

Did you try it without the fm9? Or maybe through a cab?

Not yet. I've been pretty much all digital (FM9, Kemper) for a long time now. The only cab I have left is an 1x12 JDesign loaded with an Eminence Texas Heat. Not an ideal match to PT15 I'm guessing. It would be good for the first channel that is American voiced. The other 2 Brit voiced channels are probably better served with a V30 or G12M.

I don't play out live anymore. The whole reason I went with the PT-15 IR is for recording. Today, I'm going to hook it up 4CM with FM9 and run it in all stereo glory with FX via my Mission Io "FRFR" cabs. That would be my live if that ever happened (as longs as they're isn't too much latency).

I took the back plate off to see if I can rack the amp on a rack shelf. Internal chassis is only 15 inches wide. The reactive load is side mounted. I might need to make an encloser to prevent grounding issues. Check out that big iron in there!!!

Back