Going back to a real amp and pedals after a long digitally induced hiatus

For whatever (not exactly unknown) reason(s), I almost completely stopped with that. Even so much that I'm gigging with what might not be the ideal sound, simply because I'm so familiar with the less than ideal version.
I still have some moments when I really like to do some tweaking, but basically it's rather to have, say, a new FX patch I might be using on one of the next gigs - certainly not your typical tone chasing.
Going back to a real amp (which I could do any time, there's still 2 tube amps and nice cabs in the basement) would actually be more of an effort for me. Too much to even bother.
Yeah, I tweak because I love the infinite options, not because I find modeling insufficient in some way. My amps stay pretty consistent most likely because I know what I like from each of them and have them set up as such.

This isn’t a pattern I expect to stop either. I’m sure when whatever the next gen of modeling comes out I’ll be just as giddy to sit down and blow hours twisting knobs and tweaking parameters.

I almost completely stopped with that
Same here. Not long after I posted what I posted about my "me time" playing through the Stealth, I spent a good amount of time just playing through the few dialed in presets in my Stomp. My mainstay tones haven't been modified in over a year to the point where I'm starting to forget how to edit on the device, but all my block Favorites and defaults are all set up and ready to load in so it wouldn't take me long to make reasonable changes.

I hit an interesting place this month. I let curiosity get the best of me and bought another overdrive pedal. Somewhere in testing that pedal out I got to a place that I have hears people say on some videos that I couldn't understand how they felt that way. At one point while playing with the new pedal and a couple of others to compare it to, I got this thought in my head that all of these overdrive pedals pretty much sound the same.

For me the difference in OD pedals has typically been about the midrange peak in them. I finally just hit a point that I have loads of OD pedals that I have coaxed tones out of that I like. I am now really starting to feel like this chase has landed me in a spot that I can take any of them and do what I want with it. It has totally killed my curiosity for any new OD pedals.

I got into this type of pedal far enough that I have built some and I know a little about the circuits in them. I know there are differences and I know the different types of clipping but in the end I feel like I heave learned that while it can influence the sound, it really isn't that important in the end. This is definitely a strange spot for me and I never saw this coming. My tone has been getting less gainy for a good while.

I hit an interesting place this month. I let curiosity get the best of me and bought another overdrive pedal. Somewhere in testing that pedal out I got to a place that I have hears people say on some videos that I couldn't understand how they felt that way. At one point while playing with the new pedal and a couple of others to compare it to, I got this thought in my head that all of these overdrive pedals pretty much sound the same.

For me the difference in OD pedals has typically been about the midrange peak in them. I finally just hit a point that I have loads of OD pedals that I have coaxed tones out of that I like. I am now really starting to feel like this chase has landed me in a spot that I can take any of them and do what I want with it. It has totally killed my curiosity for any new OD pedals.

I got into this type of pedal far enough that I have built some and I know a little about the circuits in them. I know there are differences and I know the different types of clipping but in the end I feel like I heave learned that while it can influence the sound, it really isn't that important in the end. This is definitely a strange spot for me and I never saw this coming. My tone has been getting less gainy for a good while.

I thought about the less-gain-over-time thing a couple years back and realized I couldn’t name a single guitarist who used more gain as time went on, it’s either been pretty much the same or less.

And yeah, OD pedals are like having one of those salt racks that has like 12 different kinds of salt on it; some might be REALLY different, but it’s still salt.

I thought about the less-gain-over-time thing a couple years back and realized I couldn’t name a single guitarist who used more gain as time went on, it’s either been pretty much the same or less.

And yeah, OD pedals are like having one of those salt racks that has like 12 different kinds of salt on it; some might be REALLY different, but it’s still salt.

Eddie Van Halen has entered the chat. :unsure:

:LOL:

Billy Gibbons is walking in right behind him. :idk

Those two guys had some of the best (in my estimation) recorded guitar tones
early in their careers only to go wonky and get infatuated with gain and horrifically
over-compressed and processed tones.

:sofa

I'll run away now. :LOL:

Billy Gibbons is walking in right behind him. :idk

Those two guys had some of the best (in my estimation) recorded guitar tones
early in their careers only to go wonky and get infatuated with gain and horrifically
over-compressed and processed tones.

:sofa

I'll run away now. :LOL:
I am right there with you. It is kind of funny that a couple of friends of mine and myself have gone down this road too. We had good tone but for some reason went down the road of adding gain and playing with everything just to end up back where we started. Thankfully we wised up.

Ya'll be silly all you want to. I like the gain, it showed me it's boobies and I liked them too!

I am biased. George can pretty much do no wrong. I like that he has experimented with more vintage guitars
and vintage amps. :idk

The more George the better. Lucky for me he seems to agree. :LOL:

Lynch is actually coming back here soon, at another dinky ass bar in Boca this time. It's a nice place, but like the last time he was here, it's a bar and not where I'd expect to see George Lynch playing.

Damnit....I'm gonna have to go to that one. I wanna hear that Marshall from a couple feet away.

Lynch is actually coming back here soon, at another dinky ass bar in Boca this time. It's a nice place, but like the last time he was here, it's a bar and not where I'd expect to see George Lynch playing.

Damnit....I'm gonna have to go to that one. I wanna hear that Marshall from a couple feet away.

Do it! his band is great at the moment and he's still got the magic touch.

I am biased. George can pretty much do no wrong. I like that he has experimented with more vintage guitars
and vintage amps. :idk

The more George the better. Lucky for me he seems to agree. :LOL:
For me; he did all he needed to in those first 3 Dokken albums. I always love seeing him play but I kinda wish he would have got into another equally successful band after Dokken. Both to shut Don up as well as to give me more stuff that I vibed with beyond "Under Lock and Key" \m/ Either way; one of the GOATs :chef

Back