Might've just went Full Turbo™

I was watching some Cooper Carter drive block vids this morning. There are a few cool pieces in the FM but nothing I can see myself preferring over amp gain. I will certainly give it a go before I settle in. The OCD, the exotic acb(?) and the jamray(?) thing in the CC vids stood out the most to me.

I haven’t played with the drives too much because I’m also an amp gain guy for the most part, that said, I do use Drives instead of the Input Boost in the amp block because I like having the extra EQ controls. When I brought that HRD home this weekend, I wanted to play around with the FM9 in front of it first before I went 4CM, there are a few drives I really dug going into a clean amp (Klone, the FET boost, TS9, Big Muff, BB Timmons) but man….the Fuzz Face is nowhere close to the EJ FF and no matter what tweaking I did, I couldn’t get it there. It needs another drive block boosting it and then it loses some of it’s fuzz value.

I might throw this one at Cliff to see how quickly he revamps the Fuzz Face model. 🤣

If I’m doing the hard rock/metal thing, it’s amp distortion all the way.

I haven’t played with the drives too much because I’m also an amp gain guy for the most part, that said, I do use Drives instead of the Input Boost in the amp block because I like having the extra EQ controls. When I brought that HRD home this weekend, I wanted to play around with the FM9 in front of it first before I went 4CM, there are a few drives I really dug going into a clean amp (Klone, the FET boost, TS9, Big Muff, BB Timmons) but man….the Fuzz Face is nowhere close to the EJ FF and no matter what tweaking I did, I couldn’t get it there. It needs another drive block boosting it and then it loses some of it’s fuzz value.

I might throw this one at Cliff to see how quickly he revamps the Fuzz Face model. 🤣

If I’m doing the hard rock/metal thing, it’s amp distortion all the way.
The vids I watched beyond Cooper with FF stuff did not sound like a FF to me. Or at least what I think it sounds like. There's a messiness to fuzz that I think digital is not going to capture.

Beyond this; I will try first using the FM up front and go through some wah and drive options in front of the BL before I go full nutso and bring the singal routing/switching/ and post fx back to FM. @RevDrucifer ; did you happen to try out that horn preset from Matt? I am wondering how it translates to the FM. It has 2 synth blocks (one I don't need) but I think it has a tonematch and I am curious what it is doing on the III in that preset.

Beyond this; I will try first using the FM up front and go through some wah and drive options in front of the BL before I go full nutso and bring the singal routing/switching/ and post fx back to FM. @RevDrucifer ; did you happen to try out that horn preset from Matt? I am wondering how it translates to the FM. It has 2 synth blocks (one I don't need) but I think it has a tonematch and I am curious what it is doing on the III in that preset.

I haven’t, but I downloaded it. I’ll try loading it up tonight and see what happens. I haven’t messed with the tonematch stuff at all.

I can send you the wah blocks I have saved in my FM9; I copied all the stats from Dunlop’s page and their sig wahs, I think I’ve got the Cantrell, Wylde and Petrucci wahs saved as blocks.

And yeah, as for the Fuzz Face thing, it might just be something that can’t be done in the digital world. There’s so much movement within the fuzz, it’s like a living thing. The FAS FF has about half the actual fuzz in it and it just doesn’t do the same thing. Tonally, it’s in the ballpark, but what it’s actually doing is different.

The wah sweep is going to be the make or break for me. I know the tones in the FM wahs are great. The feel with my Morley mini exp will tell me what I want to know on that end.

I actually pull some of the sweep back with the Fractal stuff, I didn’t think I’d ever hear a sweep that was too wide, but with high gain, it was getting a bit too much in the high end so I end up rolling it back. Even with clean stuff, it can get brittle up there.

I actually pull some of the sweep back with the Fractal stuff, I didn’t think I’d ever hear a sweep that was too wide, but with high gain, it was getting a bit too much in the high end so I end up rolling it back. Even with clean stuff, it can get brittle up there.

Not a normal wah thing… But, on fas, you can go inside and mess with the EQ peaks/valleys/sweeps and get some vey cool toanz.

Not a normal wah thing… But, on fas, you can go inside and mess with the EQ peaks/valleys/sweeps and get some vey cool toanz.

Yep, that’s how I tweaked the Crybaby for the Cantrell/Petrucci/Wylde versions. Dunlop has the frequencies posted on their site, you can just type them right into AxeEdit and Bob’s your uncle (the one who doesn’t sleep under the covers with you).

1661610990087.jpeg

Back