Meris needs to make a modulation pedal.

I found the problem to be that a lot of the more interesting sounds get lost in the mix or fight too much with other instruments
Some people like that quality of "getting lost in the mix" when multiple forms of modulation, delay, and reverb overlap and combine into a single sound.

I can see this. I personally really don't use phaser and flanger, at all. I do, however, use chorus, vibrato, and tremolo, often simultaneously. Since even the big digital units usually don't do three at once, I end up having to use at least two units in my signal chain.
Every digital all in one unit I've owned for the past 15 years has been able to do three (and often even more) modulation effects at once while also having a whole bunch of other stuff in the same preset. This includes three Fractals, a Quad Cortex and an HXFX.

It should be recognized at this point that the Strymon pedals are well out of date technologically (hence why they have recently engaged in producing updated versions), and other comparable units on the market offer better audio quality.
That's not it. I expect Strymon was more strapped for getting enough Analog Devices DSP chips used in all their pedals, so they overhauled their platform to use more available ARM processors with the Zelzah, then continued that platform to produce the V2 series. This allows them to produce their older large models with ADSP, but alleviates supply chain issues for the more popular small models while also adding useful features like MIDI/preset support to them.

The algorithms will still be largely the same. I used to have a Flint V1 and now have V2, and I don't think they sound much different. I also have some newer pedals from Strymon that use the older ADSP processors found in the old "Stryfecta". How those sound and behave is no different from the latest and greatest V2 series. The V2 models are all based on the software features originally developed for the Riverside/Sunset/Volante/Nightsky.

For modulation, I have no complaints about the tones I get from my Zelzah or Deco V2. Never tried the Mobius, it always felt like it had too much stuff I'd never use.

Every digital all in one unit I've owned for the past 15 years has been able to do three (and often even more) modulation effects at once while also having a whole bunch of other stuff in the same preset. This includes three Fractals, a Quad Cortex and an HXFX.
I meant the larger standalone units, like the Boss 500 Series, the Strymon Mobius/TimeLine/BigSky, and Meris MercuryX/LVX.

Incidentally, the Boss GT-1000 and GT-1000Core will do up to nine independent delays at once without running out of CPU power. You have the Master Delay, which can run a dual delay, four dedicated delay blocks, and three general purpose effects blocks that can load delays, too.

Or, in my case, it can do Master Stereo Reverb, Master Stereo Delay, Master Stereo Chorus, Vibrato, Tremolo, and another modulation effect, without even touching the four dedicated delay blocks. Which is why I bought a GT-1000Core instead of all three RV-500/DD-500/MD-500 units.

Last edited:
Back