Master Class (Petrucci/Abasi/Townsend Content)

I feel for James, he had the food poisoning incident that wrecked his vocal cords forever and he was never the same again.
Glad I got to see them a few times before that happened.

I feel for James, he had the food poisoning incident that wrecked his vocal cords forever and he was never the same again.
Glad I got to see them a few times before that happened.
This is much nicer than my need to eat a sandwich RIGHT NOW a$$ could ever hope to be. Good perspective.

I swear I heard John say that the pickups (the evolution of his signature pickups) was the biggest piece of gear
resulting in his lead tone change over the years. :idk
Sure. I'm just saying I would've liked to somehow ask him if he still practices those blazing runs, because they sound even more perfect than ever.

Oh, yeah. I wasn't discounting his preciseness/technique---and how that may have become more precise over the years.

Just sharing what I recalled from the interview about tonal changes. :idk

Oh, yeah. I wasn't discounting his preciseness/technique---and how that may have become more precise over the years.

Just sharing what I recalled from the interview about tonal changes. :idk
Right on. Whatever he's done with those pickups, he's going in the right direction, because even though I love his "older" tones with the Ibanez, I really love the new tones.

It was what..., Air Norton, then Illuminator, to Sonic Ecstasy, to now Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker, and they have SUCH a rich harmonic content. I mean, I've never heard PU's morph into harmonic overtones so easily, like these do. I LOVE that! (Not that I have a huge amount of data to look at.)

If watching this interview taught me anything, it’s that Rick Beato needs to release a bobblehead for merch. That guy must have a very sore neck after filming a one hour video.

I prefer JP's Ibanez tones.. That said I have a Dreamcather in my Sfoglif sig Ibby, sounds freaking killer!
Personally, I think it’s more that Petrucci’s earlier tones were sculpted around what the album called for. Everything sounded more cohesive.

These days, John being a producer and more involved with the final product, having so much control over his tone results in the rest of the album being recorded around that tone. I personally love his recent tones outside of a mix, but sometimes it can feel very out of place in mix IMO.

Personally, I think it’s more that Petrucci’s earlier tones were sculpted around what the album called for. Everything sounded more cohesive.

These days, John being a producer and more involved with the final product, having so much control over his tone results in the rest of the album being recorded around that tone. I personally love his recent tones outside of a mix, but sometimes it can feel very out of place in mix IMO.
There's not much distinction between his solo material, LTE, & DT. Which is guess is ok... :unsure:

I feel like Falling Into Infinity is his most tonally diverse album. :idk
It's probably my favorite. It was also my first, so there's that.

I think a lot had to do with Derek. He was only a member for that short period of time. So DT with Kevin sounded one way, and we all know what DT with Jordan sounds like. Kinda goes to reason that DT with Derek would be a bit more unique.

Some of those riffs in Just Let Me Breathe are unlike anything else in any DT song, so I have to think they came from him. Plus, Derek had a totally different way of approaching the keys. I mean, neither of the other 2 guys played a Hammond B3, so there's that too. You can hear DP in his style.

Very diverse player. About the only unique thing I hear from Jordan is his ragtime. (I'm exaggerating..., but just a bit. :sofa )

Right on. Whatever he's done with those pickups, he's going in the right direction, because even though I love his "older" tones with the Ibanez, I really love the new tones.

It was what..., Air Norton, then Illuminator, to Sonic Ecstasy, to now Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker, and they have SUCH a rich harmonic content. I mean, I've never heard PU's morph into harmonic overtones so easily, like these do. I LOVE that! (Not that I have a huge amount of data to look at.)

Humbucker from hell/Tone Zone
Air Norton/ Steve's Special
Custom (Tweaked) Air Norton/Steve's Special for his JP6
Custom Air Norton/D-Sonic
LiquiFire/Crunch Lab
Illuminators
Sonic Ecstasy
Rainmaker/Dreamcatcher

I still haven’t watched all of this yet, but I can’t help to wonder how much better it’d be if Dev were still this version of himself-

ee971e3577f26712c2ff6e2778f44beb.gif

Edit- this might actually be the greatest gif of all time. Especially after hearing all the stories about how Devin just drove Vai fucking nuts during their time together. Not many people can say “Yeah, that guy took a shit in one of my guitar cases 30 years ago. Love that dude” :rofl

I still haven’t watched all of this yet, but I can’t help to wonder how much better it’d be if Dev were still this version of himself-

ee971e3577f26712c2ff6e2778f44beb.gif

Edit- this might actually be the greatest gif of all time.

Wow, that gif is pure, instant greatness. :love:chef:rofl

Especially after hearing all the stories about how Devin just drove Vai fucking nuts during their time together. Not many people can say “Yeah, that guy took a shit in one of my guitar cases 30 years ago. Love that dude” :rofl

Please elaborate, or link to more? I saw that Vai tour in a tiny club in Toronto and it was crazy good.

I have not heard these stories though…

Back