Master Class (Petrucci/Abasi/Townsend Content)

I have been in my weekly "this VII is way too much money wrapped up in an amp that I won't gig" mode the past few days. I fire this vid up last night when I am winding down and Petrucci is chugging away on that g*d*mn thing and it is GLORIOUS :love :satan I really need to fill up that Recto slant cab I have at home and complete the circle of Mesa \m/ These three guys are great :satan

Hopefully in this life we all find someone that looks at us the same way Tosin looks at JP. :ROFLMAO:

Cool to see such a monster player have so much reverence for one of the OG’s.

Devon looks like the interview got in the way of his plans to go to the car wash.

Devon looks like the interview got in the way of his plans to go to the car wash.

Townsend doesn't seem to want to be there.

Every time he starts talking...
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

As far as Petrucci's lead tone changing over the years, and how Beato asked him about that, I would've asked him if he felt it all came down to the gear, or if any part of it has to do with his playing. Because it sounds to me like it does.

His licks have always been amazing and tight, but the last several years, they actually sound like they have a liquid quality. The individual picked notes have absolutely no space between them, sounding almost like they're legato.

Like in this solo. I'm hearing a striving for 'liquid perfection', and continued refinement of his technique. Not just pushing the gear.

Some may think it's too perfect. I hear a man who is always pushing himself to be an even better player than he was on the previous album. I'm the kind of guy who looks up to, and respects that.

As far as Petrucci's lead tone changing over the years, and how Beato asked him about that, I would've asked him if he felt it all came down to the gear, or if any part of it has to do with his playing. Because it sounds to me like it does.

His licks have always been amazing and tight, but the last several years, they actually sound like they have a liquid quality. The individual picked notes have absolutely no space between them, sounding almost like they're legato.

Like in this solo. I'm hearing a striving for 'liquid perfection', and continued refinement of his technique. Not just pushing the gear.

Some may think it's too perfect. I hear a man who is always pushing himself to be an even better player than he was on the previous album. I'm the kind of guy who looks up to, and respects that.

I swear I heard John say that the pickups (the evolution of his signature pickups) was the biggest piece of gear
resulting in his lead tone change over the years. :idk

He seems to manage better in the controlled confines of a studio. Live? Eh, not so much.

Back